5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Passive Entry: How-to

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MayhemMOORE

There is a mistake in one of your part numbers, Ivory white (without chrome) 5th gen body color door handle should be :

6CV64JWDAD​

Not the number 6CV64KGZAD that it is currently listed as.
Glad I caught this before they came in (the color code seems to be the "JWD" and "KGZ", with KGZ being green).

Thanks for putting this all together!

Thanks for letting me know, and glad you caught it in time. I’ll get it changed when I can get logged in from a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swing4terps

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram Built to serve edition in Tank Green. What handles should I use?
They don’t make PE handles in the textured black that comes on our trucks. Main reason I haven’t done this yet. You’ll have to get painted handles of some sort, choice is yours. And change all four if you want them to match.

04yfz

Reaction score
They don’t make PE handles in the textured black that comes on our trucks. Main reason I haven’t done this yet. You’ll have to get painted handles of some sort, choice is yours. And change all four if you want them to match.
If you're doing the retrofit already might as well change all four handles to passive entry. I would go with gloss black on a BTS.

Does anyone of a good part number for the GCM color blank end caps (for the rear doors)?
They are the same as the front passenger side.

swing4terps

Reaction score
If you're doing the retrofit already might as well change all four handles to passive entry. I would go with gloss black on a BTS.

So make the project even more unnecessarily expensive? I can't imagine any reason I would need PE on the rear doors. The front handles are a few feet away.

04yfz

Reaction score
So make the project even more unnecessarily expensive? I can't imagine any reason I would need PE on the rear doors. The front handles are a few feet away.
For the same reason you're adding passive entry versus reaching into your pocket to hit the button on the fob instead, convenience. The handles are $40-50 extra for passive versus regular painted, so if you're changing all four why not add functionality.
To me it's worth it as I'm always putting things in the back.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I completely understand why some wouldn't care to add passive entry to the rear doors, but in the situation with something like a BTS truck where you'd likely swap all four door handles to make them match anyways, I sort of agree with adding the passive entry feature to the rear doors if it is something that you think you may even slightly desire. Might as well knock it out while you're in there swapping the handles over.

The value may not be there for everyone, but I love having the feature on my rear doors. Passive entry is a convenience feature, and having it on the rear doors makes the entire system slightly more convenient.

04yfz

Reaction score
I completely understand why some wouldn't care to add passive entry to the rear doors, but in the situation with something like a BTS truck where you'd likely swap all four door handles to make them match anyways, I sort of agree with adding the passive entry feature to the rear doors if it is something that you think you may even slightly desire. Might as well knock it out while you're in there swapping the handles over.

The value may not be there for everyone, but I love having the feature on my rear doors. Passive entry is a convenience feature, and having it on the rear doors makes the entire system slightly more convenient.

I can see it being a nice benefit to anyone with young kids as well, open the rear door directly before putting them into the car seat.

I have had european cars that have the passive entry on all doors and it's one of those features you didnt know you needed until you don't have it. I simply don't understand why manufacturers cheap out on adding it when it would cost them a negligible amount to add it to the rear doors. My ford didn't have it either and it always annoyed me I couldn't add it to the rear doors because 90% of the time I'm putting things in the back before getting into the truck.

jeep12joe

Reaction score
If anyone is doing this project on a Delmonico Red truck, I have used handles. Mine were the chrome and I replaced them with body colored, so the chrome ones are what I am selling. They are in great shape and I put a graphene coating on them before I put them away. I would sell the front door handles for $100 plus shipping. Thats slightly less than half of what you would pay to buy them new. The rears are obviously not passive entry but I will send them along at no extra charge. They will be shipped in the same packaging the ones I bought came in.

IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1917.jpg

04yfz

Reaction score
If anyone is doing this project on a Delmonico Red truck, I have used handles. Mine were the chrome and I replaced them with body colored, so the chrome ones are what I am selling. They are in great shape and I put a graphene coating on them before I put them away. I would sell the front door handles for $100 plus shipping. Thats slightly less than half of what you would pay to buy them new. The rears are obviously not passive entry but I will send them along at no extra charge. They will be shipped in the same packaging the ones I bought came in.

View attachment 156016 View attachment 156017
Sell them as a kit on eBay and I would sell for more. Nice upgrade for someone with basic black handles

TRX_SAV

Reaction score
Great detailed write-up, I was able to add passive entry to my Ram TRX.

I'm wondering if anyone who did this install is having issues with consistency of the passive entry working and unlocking the doors. I would say it's 50/50 whether or not the door will unlock with my fob in my pocket. If I remove the fob and hold it near the door it will absolutely work but kind of defeats the purpose.

Any known fix? Maybe it was the use of a cheaper alternative antenna as described in the write-up?

04yfz

Reaction score

I'm wondering if anyone who did this install is having issues with consistency of the passive entry working and unlocking the doors. I would say it's 50/50 whether or not the door will unlock with my fob in my pocket. If I remove the fob and hold it near the door it will absolutely work but kind of defeats the purpose.

Any known fix? Maybe it was the use of a cheaper alternative antenna as described in the write-up?
Have you tried a new fob battery?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Weak battery in the fob maybe?? Can't really offer advice as far as corrective actions aside from that. Shouldn't be the tailgate antenna you mentioned.

Last edited:

corymopartech

Reaction score
If anybody doesn’t want to spend the money for the entire door harnesses and rear facia harness, and doesn’t feel like building the add on harnesses with the parts, let me know and I can build them for you-
Ybotwhi.jpg
do you still make these. i would be interested in them

santa210

Reaction score
If anybody doesn’t want to spend the money for the entire door harnesses and rear facia harness, and doesn’t feel like building the add on harnesses with the parts, let me know and I can build them for you-
Ybotwhi.jpg
do you still make these. i would be interested in them

RemyP

Reaction score
If anyone is looking to attempt this, I have everything needed to do it. I was going to attempt this on my granite metallic 2500.

I have it listed on HDRams

Users who are viewing this thread