5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so I’m in the process of adding a cargo camera to work with the cargo soft key with my led CHMSL that already has the camera for the digital rearview mirror. So far all I did tonight was drill to mount the camera in place and I’ll eventually do the wiring after this weekend. Hopefully it all goes well.

So far I’m very pleased with the fit so far

View attachment 79005 View attachment 79006 View attachment 79007

That’s awesome. I debated ordering the light and doing that. Kind of wishing I had now since I’m a couple hours into this front cam debacle and nothing has gone right so far.

But for anyone with a ‘21 Laramie that’s wondering, it’s pins 21/22 on mine, however 21-23 were already taken by the aux trailer cam input. I de-pinned those and added the 2 from my front cam and it functions fine.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
That’s awesome. I debated ordering the light and doing that. Kind of wishing I had now since I’m a couple hours into this front cam debacle and nothing has gone right so far.

But for anyone with a ‘21 Laramie that’s wondering, it’s pins 21/22 on mine, however 21-23 were already taken by the aux trailer cam input. I de-pinned those and added the 2 from my front cam and it functions fine.
Interesting. Never know what you’re gonna find till you get into that harness I guess. Glad you got it.

tdb0021

Reaction score
This is the camera I’m using and hoping to get a semi decent image

Reverse Backup Camera,RAAYOO L002 170 Degree Wide View Angle 2-in-1 Universal Car Front/Side/Rear View Camera,2 Installation Options,Removable Guildlines,Mirror Non-Mirror Image,12V only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P45P7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Tms-FbDZA8TDA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've used that camera. Not bad, not great... but its an analog camera so you can't expect too much. Your install looks factory. Very impressed. I'm curious to see how it works out with the angle and it being slightly offset from center.

Edmontonram

Reaction score
so I’m in the process of adding a cargo camera to work with the cargo soft key with my led CHMSL that already has the camera for the digital rearview mirror. So far all I did tonight was drill to mount the camera in place and I’ll eventually do the wiring after this weekend. Hopefully it all goes well.

So far I’m very pleased with the fit

Can you please take a picture of the connector on the back of the radio and the pin positions you end up using. I would like to add the cargo camera input, but run wires to the back of my travel trailer. A Camera on the back of the trailer would be extremely helpful on the hiway.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Can you please take a picture of the connector on the back of the radio and the pin positions you end up using. I would like to add the cargo camera input, but run wires to the back of my travel trailer. A Camera on the back of the trailer would be extremely helpful on the hiway.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you’re thinking of doing this, it’s worth taking the time to read all the way through this thread from the beginning. I did a write up on it a few pages back, but there’s pretty pertinent information throughout the whole thread. It’ll arm you with all the knowledge you need to take this on.

bskubon

Reaction score
Don’t recall reading what is recommended for disconnecting the battery when adding the pins into the large connector? I.e. should I disconnect the battery before starting?

tdb0021

Reaction score
Don’t recall reading what is recommended for disconnecting the battery when adding the pins into the large connector? I.e. should I disconnect the battery before starting?

It's never a bad idea to disconnect the battery before messing with wiring. I disconnected the battery for my installation.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
I didn’t disconnect mine, but it’s probably not the worst idea.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
so I did the install last night and came across this. Has anyone ran into this issue? Everything works as intended before I click the cargo soft key and once I click the cargo soft key it freezes the whole system. Nothing works after that and I can’t exit out of the image. I have to turn the truck off and turn it back on so everything works properly until again, when I click on the cargo icon, it completely freezes. I’ve attached a video but not sure if it will show lol. Not sure how to upload videos here!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so I did the install last night and came across this. Has anyone ran into this issue? Everything works as intended before I click the cargo soft key and once I click the cargo soft key it freezes the whole system. Nothing works after that and I can’t exit out of the image. I have to turn the truck off and turn it back on so everything works properly until again, when I click on the cargo icon, it completely freezes. I’ve attached a video but not sure if it will show lol. Not sure how to upload videos here!

If I recall you have new digital mirror/rear view camera activated, I wonder if it's some type of conflict since the review camera is used in place of "cargo cam". Just a guess. Perhaps try deactivate rear view camera setting in BCM to see if it fixes it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

rrroscoe

Reaction score

No issues like that for me.

bskubon

Reaction score

What model and year truck?

bskubon

Reaction score
Makes me think while inside the bcm, what are the recommended other settings that are nice to change? Saw one about not disabling the fog lights when high beams come on. Seems while in there, should tweak a few nice-to-have things other than just enabling the cargo cam.

gecko6375

Reaction score
Thanks to all the info here I was able to install a front camera today but I did it a little different. I actually installed a cargo cam, used AlphaOBD to turn on the soft key. Then I installed a video switcher and a front cam. Now when I select cargo cam it shows and when I want the front cam I hit the switch on my switch panel and I get the front cam. Turn off the front cam and it goes back to the cargo cam after a couple of seconds. Thanks again for all of the knowledge.
E7CC6285-7F48-455C-A861-591F0F9A2EFC.jpeg

Attachments

• 196AB556-6A32-4F24-A71E-4723A8A09C20.jpeg
    196AB556-6A32-4F24-A71E-4723A8A09C20.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 296
  • D04CD0E5-3043-4F4D-AF45-4F2BCECE9077.jpeg
    D04CD0E5-3043-4F4D-AF45-4F2BCECE9077.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 296
  • 6945FCA5-CB15-4C74-B622-9C30C0B87B43.jpeg
    6945FCA5-CB15-4C74-B622-9C30C0B87B43.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DA337422-0D8E-4291-93D9-11A07F60302A.jpeg
    DA337422-0D8E-4291-93D9-11A07F60302A.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 2E8DC933-3CC1-472D-B212-050C9BE355CE.jpeg
    2E8DC933-3CC1-472D-B212-050C9BE355CE.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 309

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Thanks to all the info here I was able to install a front camera today but I did it a little different. I actually installed a cargo cam, used AlphaOBD to turn on the soft key. Then I installed a video switcher and a front cam. Now when I select cargo cam it shows and when I want the front cam I hit the switch on my switch panel and I get the front cam. Turn off the front cam and it goes back to the cargo cam after a couple of seconds. Thanks again for all of the knowledge.
View attachment 79613
Nice man! That’s a really cool setup. Can you elaborate on the switcher you used? As well as maybe the switch panel you’ve got rigged up? Looks great man.

gecko6375

Reaction score
Nice man! That’s a really cool setup. Can you elaborate on the switcher you used? As well as maybe the switch panel you’ve got rigged up? Looks great man.
Sure, the switcher I used is this one from Amazon. Iy allows 4 inputs and is triggered by either a positive or negative voltage feed to switch cameras.

As far as the switch panel. It is also from Amazon but has been heavily modified. When I got it, I had a friend replace the internal LED's with clear ones as they were green. Then my wife printed new labels with her Cricut machine.

jdmdc5teg06

Reaction score
View attachment 79613

looking good!

When I activated my cargo cam softkey
before I attempted to install my camera the softkey wouldn’t turn red and also once I got the blue screen it didn’t show me the little soft keys on the image itself showing it was either the cargo or backup cam

gecko6375

Reaction score
looking good!

When I activated my cargo cam softkey
before I attempted to install my camera the softkey wouldn’t turn red and also once I got the blue screen it didn’t show me the little soft keys on the image itself showing it was either the cargo or backup cam
Couple of things. The soft key can take a while to display and also it will be greyed out in certain instances if polarity is wrong. Hope that helps. Mine took several hours to come back on when installing it in the Uconnect.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
Sure, the switcher I used is this one from Amazon. Iy allows 4 inputs and is triggered by either a positive or negative voltage feed to switch cameras.

As far as the switch panel. It is also from Amazon but has been heavily modified. When I got it, I had a friend replace the internal LED's with clear ones as they were green. Then my wife printed new labels with her Cricut machine.

Super cool man. Thanks for the links.

Users who are viewing this thread