5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Gts

Reaction score
My understanding is the uConnect will only accept one analog camera input on the back. That’s why I used the switcher. So, I think your logic seems correct. I will say this, if you go with the same switcher I did then there are some things to be aware of. The directions are very misleading. First off, you obviously need to power and ground the switcher through a switched 12v input. Where it gets tricky is the inputs. I ran my cargo cam on input one and the camera itself is powered by a switched 12v power source.

This is where it got tricky, input one through four all have a positive and negative wire to activate them. For input one, I just had to tie into the positive switched power. Input two, even though it doesn’t say this requires a negative input. So I used input three for my front cam. Again, I just used the positive wire. It’s really weird because I am not used to only hooking positive and negative wires but this switcher requires an either/or and not both or it wont work. Took some time to figure it out. Let me know if you have questions but in my install I am using input 1 and 3. I skipped input two as I didn’t want to do a negative input or I would have had to rewire my relay setup. Not really a big deal but, I basically had to forget most of what I know of 12v wiring for this thing.

As far as switch legends, are you going with the same switch? The stock version of what I had has green LED’s and my labels would look very weird on the stock one. If you leave the LEDs green you’d likely want different colored labels than what I went with. I was lucky and have a friend that is a mad genius with electrical components and I had him alter the board to white LEDs as I hated the green. That said, if you’re still interested in new labels I can certainly ask my wife what she’d charge. I know she would need what you’d want on them and what colors you need. Take care and let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I found this on ebay and it kinda looks like your switcher. What do you think?

I also found this switcher with blue lights off and red or pink lights on. What do you think of this one?

gecko6375

Reaction score
I found this on ebay and it kinda looks like your switcher. What do you think?

I also found this switcher with blue lights off and red or pink lights on. What do you think of this one?

The first link is the exact one I have. The only difference, as I said, was I had a friend mine swap out the green LEDs with all clear or white ones. I think the second one is the exact same unit with different LEDs. Either will work. They are all 6 relay units and will work fine. Really just depends on what color scheme you like.

Reactions: Gts

Gts

Reaction score
The first link is the exact one I have. The only difference, as I said, was I had a friend mine swap out the green LEDs with all clear or white ones. I think the second one is the exact same unit with different LEDs. Either will work. They are all 6 relay units and will work fine. Really just depends on what color scheme you like.

Thank you for your feedback.

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with poor resolution? I know the OEM reverse camera is digital and the aftermarket ones like the Natika ones are analog, but I can’t imagine it would make such a big difference.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with poor resolution? I know the OEM reverse camera is digital and the aftermarket ones like the Natika ones are analog, but I can’t imagine it would make such a big difference.y camera works just as well as the OEM rear camera

bskubon

Reaction score
You know I was thinking the same thing. I tested my $40 Amazon camera by plugging into TV and thought is was kind of a poor resolution picture. Granted the 12” truck display will hopefully be better. Enabled the cargo input with the alfaobd and Windows10, now waiting for warmer weather to take the grill off - I got the new RAM grill piece with the camera hole.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
You know I was thinking the same thing. I tested my $40 Amazon camera by plugging into TV and thought is was kind of a poor resolution picture. Granted the 12” truck display will hopefully be better. Enabled the cargo input with the alfaobd and Windows10, now waiting for warmer weather to take the grill off - I got the new RAM grill piece with the camera hole.
I clearly see the difference between high resolution digital OEM rear camera and analog RCA-connected front camera. Resolution of analog camera is something around 800x600 I guess, but then is better than nothing.

bskubon

Reaction score
Folks, I ordered by mistake the wrong backing emblem, part number 68341467ac, paid like $20 plus shipping. This is with the camera hole for like the 2019 Laramie. Make me an offer if interested.

Gandalfgrey

Reaction score
I have a question for you electronic gurus. I am using the Z- automotive Tazer DT and already had a front camera kit from them for a Gladiator and Ram looks to be the same system. So my Rebel 2021 has some options for safety it only has forward collision and parking sensors. Level 2 Rebel 12” nav. I opened up my radio very simple already ran the camera thanks for all the info on that. But unless i got turned around looking at the harness plug it looks like 21,22,23,24,25 are all taken can more than one wire be used in a slot? I am going to go back in and take pictures next attempt, but i have up trying to guess. I didn’t try any of those because they looked like being used.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for you electronic gurus. I am using the Z- automotive Tazer DT and already had a front camera kit from them for a Gladiator and Ram looks to be the same system. So my Rebel 2021 has some options for safety it only has forward collision and parking sensors. Level 2 Rebel 12” nav. I opened up my radio very simple already ran the camera thanks for all the info on that. But unless i got turned around looking at the harness plug it looks like 21,22,23,24,25 are all taken can more than one wire be used in a slot? I am going to go back in and take pictures next attempt, but i have up trying to guess. I didn’t try any of those because they looked like being used.
That is because 2021 Rams offer the aux trailer cameras, those are the pins they use, and all 2021s have the aux trailer camera wiring populated from the radio up to the first in-line connector. Just remove the wires that are there now, and insert your new ones for the front camera.

Gandalfgrey

Reaction score
That is because 2021 Rams offer the aux trailer cameras, those are the pins they use, and all 2021s have the aux trailer camera wiring populated from the radio up to the first in-line connector. Just remove the wires that are there now, and insert your new ones for the front camera.
See i knew one of y’all could help a brother out. So 21,& 22 you think ?

tomcat

Reaction score
I have a 2021 rebel and tried to put wires for the camera on 20 21 but there was already wiring there . Also 24 25 had wires going to it also . Anbody have a wiring diagram for 2021 12 inch radio or sugestions .

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2021 rebel and tried to put wires for the camera on 20 21 but there was already wiring there . Also 24 25 had wires going to it also . Anbody have a wiring diagram for 2021 12 inch radio or sugestions .
Read my post a few posts above yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online