5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

Rapper

Reaction score

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've done all steps alphobd to enable cargo, mounted front cam, ran cables to headunit & connected to pins 24/25 with NO luck cargo camera screen still blue... tried camera on external monitor & it works PERFECT. Can anyone confirm pins 24/25 cause I'm reading other places 21/22
Following

chillin2k1

Reaction score
Jimmy07 - Exactly what I want to do, but unsure how to enable the CHMSL camera with AlfaOBD. Also assuming pins 24&25 as you mentioned. Looks like OBD Genie.com has an option
ok...so that's $200!!
This looks great wondering if it works on the 12" display also pin 24&25

grynidbandit

Reaction score
So I FINALLY got cargo input to work & I can confirm on my 19 Longhorn with 13" screen it is in fact pins 21/22. Also if anyone is interested I do have front ram badge that has camera but I already modified & added hd aftermarket camera as pictured

Attachments

• 20200809_093211.jpg
    20200809_093211.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 763
  • 20200809_093148.jpg
    20200809_093148.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 764
  • 20200809_093130.jpg
    20200809_093130.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 759

jkosharek

Reaction score
So I FINALLY got cargo input to work & I can confirm on my 19 Longhorn with 13" screen it is in fact pins 21/22. Also if anyone is interested I do have front ram badge that has camera but I already modified & added hd aftermarket camera as pictured

Do you have a link for the HD camera you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is strange, but if it works, it works. I have two 12” radio modules (one from a 1500 and one from an HD), one 8.4 nav module from a 5th gen rebel, one UAV module from a 2019 GC, and two other members that have 12” screens that can only get the cargo cam to show on pins 24/25, and get the blue screen on pins 21/22. Only when VehConfig 8 aux trailer camera is enabled will 21/22 work.

grynidbandit

Reaction score
That is strange, but if it works, it works. I have two 12” radio modules (one from a 1500 and one from an HD), one 8.4 nav module from a 5th gen rebel, one UAV module from a 2019 GC, and two other members that have 12” screens that can only get the cargo cam to show on pins 24/25, and get the blue screen on pins 21/22. Only when VehConfig 8 aux trailer camera is enabled will 21/22 work.
I honestly can't take credit as I found info in this post that lead me to pins 21/22 but at least for my truck on 12" screen cargo is 100% pins 21/22

(1) Cargo Cam input - Car PC/Telemetry project. | 2019+ Ram Forum - 5thGenRams

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly can't take credit as I found info in this post that lead me to pins 21/22 but at least for my truck on 12" screen cargo is 100% pins 21/22

(1) Cargo Cam input - Car PC/Telemetry project. | 2019+ Ram Forum - 5thGenRams
If anything, it confirms something I never thought of- the pin locations of the camera inputs on the radio itself are not static. It must be the BCM variant/firmware that dictates to the radio what camera input to use for which location.

grynidbandit

Reaction score
That’s a link to your order, can you send the link to the camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJG

Reaction score
Keeping in mind that the rear camera is digital, and doesn’t use pins 31&32 at all, so the front camera would have to be the same, and the switching unit would have to accept the coax cable to split them. Then you’ve got to toggle between the two with a physical switch outside of the radio, THEN press the backup camera soft key on the radio to bring up the front image. It’s probably easier, and less cumbersome to operate, to just add the new camera to the cargo cam inputs, enable the CHMSL camera with AlfaOBD (they don’t actually “flash” anything), and move the cargo camera soft key down to the bottom row on the screen, so it’s right there easy to press whenever you want to bring up the front camera image.

Android auto or CarPlay will never allow an app like this, unless it follows the NHTSA regulations that the camera image in the display automatically turns off within 10 seconds.

A couple of questions on this?

1. How do you move it to the bottom row so it's readily accessible?

2. When you enable the front camera while driving, will it be on a timer? My primary use of it will be in off roading so I might want it to stay on when going through rock gardens and places like that.

Shives

Reaction score
Well it’s what folks have been looking for the badge that holds the camera. So, if someone wants the front cam, without modding there stock grill, here ya go

Reactions: BJG

Kimkeys99

Reaction score
Besides the camera, what else did you use to get it working? I am ordering the camera now. I have a 2020 Ram Limited with 12” screen HK system

grynidbandit

Reaction score
Hey, I actually foll
Besides the camera, what else did you use to get it working? I am ordering the camera now. I have a 2020 Ram Limited with 12” screen HK system
Hey, I actually followed instructions Jimmy07 posted in page 6 of this thread to the tee EXCEPT pins for my truck & probably yours are 21/22 NOT 24/25 like his instructions state.

Figured I’d chime in here, since this has been done for years on the 4th gens, and will be the same on the 5th gens. All you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail-
hXj5plg.jpg

Crimp these terminals onto the red and black wires- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/638551-2?qs=/ha2pyFadui2KO4i8tuEMRmwe3qqDO4dcOxrTo7CGec4q0rAKYyNkA==&tetid=MuZSUWoENz
Insert the red wire into pin 24 on the big radio connector, and insert the black wire into pin 25.
zTHPB6o.jpg
IjDl93R.jpg

Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio. For mounting, either come up with a clever solution, or buy the “RAM” grille nameplate that houses the front camera for the surround view equipped trucks. Just choose a camera that can be fabricated into the front camera mount. Supply the camera with fused ignition power, and ground, and you’re done.

Users who are viewing this thread