5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

kmblackbear

Reaction score
A guy I follow on IG had a dealer do it on his '19 Rebel. He called several dealers most weren't willing to tackle it. But it works amazing. They rigged up a cargo camera to the front grill (looks factory installed). He select's it through the 12" screen as the cargo camera. His backup camera is still his backup and the cargo is now the front camera. Great for offroading/entry level or if you are in a tight area.

grynidbandit

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been solved but I just got 9ff the phone with Naviks & they in fact do have a wire harness that will allow hookup of front camera for both 8.4/12 inch models. My truck is now in body shop finishing my chrome deletebut as soon as I get it back I will get installed & post results.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been solved but I just got 9ff the phone with Naviks & they in fact do have a wire harness that will allow hookup of front camera for both 8.4/12 inch models. My truck is now in body shop finishing my chrome deletebut as soon as I get it back I will get installed & post results.
I need that for my 8.4
Who do I contact or can you share the link?

grynidbandit

Reaction score
I need that for my 8.4
Who do I contact or can you share the link?

Here's link to site I honestly didn't find what I needed there but after calling them at number posted on their site a gentleman named Mike gave me all details of harness they have now & also one they're working on. I will actually be visiting them later in the week so they can test new harness on my truck. Harness they have now requires the push of a button on steering wheel to activate front camera new harness if it works would allow camera to come up automatically

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone that buys from Naviks, definitely post your experience; both if it works + customer service (and if you use a CC to pay, I'd use a burner number or create one on Privacy.com)

My past experience wasn't too great when trying to get setup for my MDX. Customer service was terrible and I was charged before anything was even developed let alone shipped (my mistake for believing in their timeline).

but best of luck - I'd like to see it work as I'd like to add an aftermarket 360 cam system and only need one AV input

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Figured I’d chime in here, since this has been done for years on the 4th gens, and will be the same on the 5th gens. All you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail-
hXj5plg.jpg

Crimp these terminals onto the red and black wires- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...DO4dcOxrTo7CGec4q0rAKYyNkA==&tetid=MuZSUWoENz
Insert the red wire into pin 24 on the big radio connector, and insert the black wire into pin 25.
zTHPB6o.jpg
IjDl93R.jpg

Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio. For mounting, either come up with a clever solution, or buy the “RAM” grille nameplate that houses the front camera for the surround view equipped trucks. Just choose a camera that can be fabricated into the front camera mount. Supply the camera with fused ignition power, and ground, and you’re done.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
^^ Can you confirm on 12"? Pretty sure it is not a standard video signal.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
A guy I follow on IG had a dealer do it on his '19 Rebel. He called several dealers most weren't willing to tackle it. But it works amazing. They rigged up a cargo camera to the front grill (looks factory installed). He select's it through the 12" screen as the cargo camera. His backup camera is still his backup and the cargo is now the front camera. Great for offroading/entry level or if you are in a tight area.

I wonder how they reversed the image.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
^^ Can you confirm on 12"? Pretty sure it is not a standard video signal.
Yup. This is on a 12” installed in my 2017 (which uses an analog backup camera. I just switched the backup camera pins over to 24&25, and enabled CHMSL camera.
P4w224P.jpg

This is exactly how a 2019+ HD Ram is configured that doesn’t have surround view, but has the CHMSL camera. It still uses an analog camera. The surround view system uses all digital cameras run through the CVPM, but you can’t use the digital camera by itself without the CVPM.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio.

Have you seen this work on the 8.4-4 or 4C units? IIRC the 1500 don't have a CHMSL camera option and thus, no soft key shows up, even if enabled. I enabled 'Cargo Cam' via Tazer and no soft key has shown up on any screen... that is, unless a camera must be wired in for it to show?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you seen this work on the 8.4-4 or 4C units? IIRC the 1500 don't have a CHMSL camera option and thus, no soft key shows up, even if enabled. I enabled 'Cargo Cam' via Tazer and no soft key has shown up on any screen... that is, unless a camera must be wired in for it to show?
All 8.4 radios 2016+ are capable of displaying the cargo cam through pins 24 and 25. Doesn’t matter if it’s an RA3, RA4, UAS, UAQ, UAM, or UAV radio, or what vehicle the radio was built for. Sure, it’s not an option from the factory, but all Ram BCMs are capable of broadcasting the VehConfig 1 CHMSL setting, 1500’s - 5500’s. I wouldn’t trust a tazer to correctly enable this setting, because they also seem to think that the cargo camera inputs are pins 21 and 22 on the radio, which is incorrect. Those are the inputs for the aux camera, which is used for the trailer camera on 2019+ HDs. A camera is not needed, either. If the setting is correctly enabled, the soft key will show up, and you’ll get a blue screen if you use it without a camera. 2021 Ram 1500 5th gens have the cargo camera option now, and it is the same BCM setting. I have also had a UAV radio installed in my 2017 ram with the cargo cam enabled.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All 8.4 radios 2016+ are capable of displaying the cargo cam through pins 24 and 25.

This is AWESOME information - Thank you for saving me from a head scratcher as Tazer's guide online seemed suspect... looks like I'll need to grab an AlfaOBD setup to try this.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup. This is on a 12” installed in my 2017 (which uses an analog backup camera. I just switched the backup camera pins over to 24&25, and enabled CHMSL camera.
P4w224P.jpg

This is exactly how a 2019+ HD Ram is configured that doesn’t have surround view, but has the CHMSL camera. It still uses an analog camera. The surround view system uses all digital cameras run through the CVPM, but you can’t use the digital camera by itself without the CVPM.
How in the he** did u fit that screen on a 4th gen? That's awesome lol. I've been wanting to pull the trigger for a 12" on my rebel but infotainments prices are ridiculous.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How in the he** did u fit that screen on a 4th gen? That's awesome lol. I've been wanting to pull the trigger for a 12" on my rebel but infotainments prices are ridiculous.
That sucker just barely squeezed between the vents. A little dremel work, and a little bondo. Never go through infotainment. I got mine from a junkyard, same place that infotainment gets theirs, and you can get it done for less than half their price.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucker just barely squeezed between the vents. A little dremel work, and a little bondo. Never go through infotainment. I got mine from a junkyard, same place that infotainment gets theirs, and you can get it done for less than half their price.
I tried checking out the thread for the 12" swap but there isn't a stapled "how to". Sooo many posts on there that im not sure what is reliable.

Shives

Reaction score
Figured I’d chime in here, since this has been done for years on the 4th gens, and will be the same on the 5th gens. All you need to do is take a female RCA pigtail-
hXj5plg.jpg

Crimp these terminals onto the red and black wires- https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/638551-2?qs=/ha2pyFadui2KO4i8tuEMRmwe3qqDO4dcOxrTo7CGec4q0rAKYyNkA==&tetid=MuZSUWoENz
Insert the red wire into pin 24 on the big radio connector, and insert the black wire into pin 25.
zTHPB6o.jpg
IjDl93R.jpg

Then use AlfaOBD and set VehConfig 1 CHMSL camera to YES. You’ll now have the cargo cam soft key active on the radio controls screen, and you can plug any aftermarket camera into the pigtail on the radio. For mounting, either come up with a clever solution, or buy the “RAM” grille nameplate that houses the front camera for the surround view equipped trucks. Just choose a camera that can be fabricated into the front camera mount. Supply the camera with fused ignition power, and ground, and you’re done.
I just went to AlfaOBD and I don’t see RAM as supported... I’m guessing I’m missing something. Or, please advise what to purchase in order to select and activate this for 2019 new body ram. Thanks very very much

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just went to AlfaOBD and I don’t see RAM as supported... I’m guessing I’m missing something. Or, please advise what to purchase in order to select and activate this for 2019 new body ram. Thanks very very much
It’s supported up to 2020, Ram owners have been using it for years. You also need an OBD Bluetooth interface dongle. I always recommend OBD Link MX Bluetooth because I know for certain it works with every single change you can possibly make. Many have success using this one, though- https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Product...+auto+Interface+Scanner&qid=1595506243&sr=8-6
You’ll also need a bypass harness to bypass your truck’s security gateway module- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I'd recommend this bypass. It is cheaper and a simpler design.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd recommend this bypass. It is cheaper and a simpler design.
Meh...both work the same, and just as easy to install. Infotainment’s is $3 more after shipping. I avoid them since they lie in wait for ram community members to figure out upgrades, then capitalize on them and overprice their kits. The one I linked is a helpful ram community member that builds various conversion harnesses on the side, and helps out fellow members.

Users who are viewing this thread