5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called my local Ram Dealer to run my VIN and see if enabling Cargo Cam via WiTech is an option or if I were to buy the cameras/module if I plumb them - they said it didn't show up as even an option to enable...

I would only believe it if I didn't see it here in the thread, but I'm hoping to see another 8.4-4 headunit reporting if it's working or not working, I don't even know where the 'cargo cam' button would be on my screen as the 8.4's reverse cam view only has a magnifier icon upon reverse

EDIT:

I did a word search of the 2019 1500 Manual and for the words Cargo (77) or Camera (114) and Cargo Camera (0) - there's references to the surround view camera system but none for cargo camera, is that 12" referred to above a 1500? what trim?

Last edited:

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just confirming for the pics-or-it-didnt-happen rule, here's my Controls screen vs the CargoCam:Yes Enabled message:

If this works for anyone with an 8.4 screen whether 4 or 4c model, I'd really like to see the Cargo Cam button placement option

I do wonder if Cargo Cam is only available on 12c models

1572477705969.png 1572477719292.png

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just doing a bit of digging and I think the reason the 12" screen gets the controls is the 12" screen can also be enabled with the "Trailer Tech Package" on the 2500 models but cannot be added to 1500 models per the config online

1572478209549.png

Marky Mark

Reaction score
So will the front camera just plug into where the cargo camera goes (since I have my cargo cam enabled now with the Tazer DT)?

I might have missed that part, or do we need an adapter to make this work off the cargo cam input?

john94si

Reaction score
So will the front camera just plug into where the cargo camera goes (since I have my cargo cam enabled now with the Tazer DT)?

I might have missed that part, or do we need an adapter to make this work off the cargo cam input?
I dont think so. Thats the issue as it needs the surround view camera module that accepts all the cameras.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a tazer on an 8.4 or 12 inch screen? Can you activate the cargo camera input and see an icon on the screen when you either press the reverse camera input or put the vehicle in reverse?
If you have a tazer and activate the cargo camera feature and it shows up than you should be able to add and rca cable to pin 21 signal 22 ground on the harness to the radio. That is the input pins for the cargo camera with non 360 camera equipped vehicles.
I can not test this unless someone who is trying to add the camera is in Dallas. My ram is equipped with the 360 view system and trying to remove it to test is not easy. On Facebook and such I’ve been reporting this info. I’d like to prove it but can’t without someone local.
The camera uses a fakra connector for the oem stuff. But if you add the rca with the correct pins ( which you can get from zauto ) and activate the input use of an aftermarket camera should work.
I have the cable available with pins and will try this with someone local (no tazer needed ) if sometime wants too. We don’t even have to run the camera first.
So again if someone with a tazer can post if the cargo camera input will activate or show up as an option after it is enabled with a tazer On a vehicle not equipped with 360 view system and no front camera currently. FYI after you enable the feature it will take time to show up. The radio takes for ever to update. Sometimes multiple key cycles or down time being off.
Anyone in his area that can swing by and help us all out :):):)

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I believe all of this when the Unicorn and Sasquatch show up at my next BBQ.
There is not a single shred of proof of any successful attempt at doing this on a 12 UConnect.

These guys aren't even in the ball park of getting it right. Tazer won't do anything. There are people working on it - it just takes time.

Gonzom

Reaction score
So I upgraded my 8.4 non nav to 12.1 and it’s great have a lil problems do an been looking at all the forums . It is possible for the 360 view to be added also you will need a few things an obd reader and the alpha obd app also a by pass obd cable an you can change a lot of options to your factory settings.

Lize

Reaction score
Sasquatch
:ROFLMAO: Just done a google search, in UK we more commonly use Bigfoot, must try and remember this, really made me laugh :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn't mind a Unicorn turning up for a BBQ...

jdubc72

Reaction score
I have bought the OEM front camera (integerated in to the ram logo). Just need a longer OEM cable from the camera to the back of "what ever" input. View attachment 38885
Do you have the part numbers for the OEM logo camera and cable? Have you been able to plug it in to the Uconnect and enable the input with a Tazer DT? Thanks!

azzx

Reaction score
No I have not. Per tech person at Tazer, their module does not have such capability.
You can get part numbers here:

I have also attached a list of all needed parts.
So far there is no verifiable evidence of anyone doing this successfully
You need a CVPM -- even to add just the front camera

Attachments

• Camera parts.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 465

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
Looks like about $700 to add the side view cameras and $1700 for the front +sides if I'm reading this right, plus whatever they need in the way of cabling (posted earlier). Anyone try it yet?

renzo2213

Reaction score
Looks like about $700 to add the side view cameras and $1700 for the front +sides if I'm reading this right, plus whatever they need in the way of cabling (posted earlier). Anyone try it yet?

It says the safety group is required to be able to get it. Under each item it says stop and go forward collision full speed and all that Jazz, required at the description of each time. I really hope there’s a way around it. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow and I’ll ask them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread