5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a tazer on an 8.4 or 12 inch screen? Can you activate the cargo camera input and see an icon on the screen when you either press the reverse camera input or put the vehicle in reverse?
If you have a tazer and activate the cargo camera feature and it shows up than you should be able to add and rca cable to pin 21 signal 22 ground on the harness to the radio. That is the input pins for the cargo camera with non 360 camera equipped vehicles.
[...]

I'll see if I can activate the cargo cam option but I dont recall seeing it in the menu when I was scrolling through. if that's an option, it's way better than setting up an A/V Switcher in line of the tailgate cam to override its input. thanks for the info!

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
No cargo cam option mentioned anywhere in settings or apps on my 8.4 nav. sadly.
So if a camera were to be wired into cargo cam ports you mentioned that are still present on non-360 view Rams, whats the next step to get the new front camera to show on screen on demand.
Sounds like something possible with software update? Adding a "front camera" link in APPS to activate those ports just like the rear camera

Bradleys

Reaction score
Following - if you guys figure out the front camera option, I will jump all over it!

2019Ram64

Reaction score
I'll see if I can activate the cargo cam option but I dont recall seeing it in the menu when I was scrolling through. if that's an option, it's way better than setting up an A/V Switcher in line of the tailgate cam to override its input. thanks for the info!
There is no option when you enable it right now after a few key cycles and sleeps when you choose the reverse camera an icon may appear on the screen maybe top left of screen. If it shows up there it should be doable. Again I don’t have a local person I can test this on.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no option when you enable it right now after a few key cycles and sleeps when you choose the reverse camera an icon may appear on the screen maybe top left of screen. If it shows up there it should be doable. Again I don’t have a local person I can test this on.

Been crazy times since I last posted but I didn't get a chance to go through the Tazer menus again to see if I saw this option. I'll make time this weekend as I'm still having issues w/flash patterns and likely need to re-confirm bulb types even though they already say LED

Marky Mark

Reaction score
I will have to check my tazer too once it gets back from my buddy's shop for its next mod, but tazer instructions for DT RAM list:

----
Set Cargo Cam: This will enable the “cargo cam” selector on the “controls” screen. Useful for front cameras, especially for a 2018 UAQ radio. The 2013-17 RA4 can use the extra video inputs via the live feature functions as well, even if Cargo Cam is off.
----

So hopefully this will work for those of us wanting to add a front cam

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So on a '19 Rebel 8.4 (non-nav); I might need to run a few more key cycles, but after 2-3 cycles I haven't seen any new icons on the reverse screen. I did both a 'full reboot' and partial.

What's interesting is when going through the menu to confirm the Cargo_Cam:YES option, the screen paused at 'Try Again'. I clicked through it and Cargo_Cam was still enabled.

Will run a few more cycles to see if anything changes

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Ok we will be good. :):):)I have cargo cam option showing after enabling with Tazer. Joe aka Tazer mentions that you can enable cargo cam and use as front cam.

Attachments

• 20191028_183954.jpg
    20191028_183954.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 764
  • 20191028_184214.jpg
    20191028_184214.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 754

azzx

Reaction score
this is awesome.
Now, have to figure out the input location for the camera on the 12 inch screen

thanks

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lucky up there!

Ran a few more restarts / reboots and confirmed in the menu when shifting to reverse, all I have access to is the zoom control for the tailgate cam, unless the Cargo cam might be in the apps menu? (I just realized I didn't check). I'll be trying more to see if I can get this to show up or, if a dealer tech can chime in, if it's something that has to be enabled w/their WiTech device

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is awesome.

thanks

I think a call to buy the part w/instructions would render the location, I know there's a few folks who can pull the schematics on wiring up things like cargo lights etc. I haven't seen the front cam instructions yet ( i save every schematic)

Marky Mark

Reaction score
Lucky up there!

Ran a few more restarts / reboots and confirmed in the menu when shifting to reverse, all I have access to is the zoom control for the tailgate cam, unless the Cargo cam might be in the apps menu? (I just realized I didn't check). I'll be trying more to see if I can get this to show up or, if a dealer tech can chime in, if it's something that has to be enabled w/their WiTech device
Make sure you do full reboot of tazer after enabling for it to take effect (if you have not already)

Marky Mark

Reaction score
this is awesome.

thanks
Hopefully that won't be that hard. We gonna check that out this weekend if not sooner.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Make sure you do full reboot of tazer after enabling for it to take effect (if you have not already)

I did a few, however to be sure, I'm going to undo-full reboot; redo-fullreboot. I feel like many of the settings say they're 'on' but don't truly stick.

Also I'm still running 18.0.1 FW, It won't call for an update no matter what I do with the ZPU

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have bought the OEM front camera (integerated in to the ram logo). Just need a longer OEM cable from the camera to the back of "what ever" input.

Can't read the tag - does the part # include the 'A' letter or the whole grille?

Good luck! I updated my Tazer FW and will be restarting the whole process. I'm positive the reboots were not happening correctly the first time around

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok we will be good. :):):)I have cargo cam option showing after enabling with Tazer.

Question on Head Unit, is that a 12" with Nav option? Speculating here - if the 'Nav' optioned HUs come with Cargo Cam ability but mine (non-nav 8.4" might not have the option?)

After a un-marry, FW update, re-marry, then set the Cargo Cam Option, Full-Reboot, Cycle the EVIC/Drivers Door two times (45sec for shutdown)... no dice...

I'm starting to wonder if it's just worth putting an AV Switcher in-line of the tailgate cam and setup as many sources as I want

Bradleys

Reaction score
So it seems like we are getting closer...

Not excited that the camera will be labeled “cargo”, but ready to pick up the OEM camera once we have an installation write up.

Users who are viewing this thread