5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM Front Camera?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think this is the backside of Uconnect module for 8.4 and 12 inch displays
I have no idea how many of the inputs are used on trucks without 360
It would be nice to know what components are connected to each post

Zautomotive sells the AV Cable and these instructions show the pinout - I texted back and forth with them a bit and the Tazer DT should unlock these pins for input, however no confirmation at the moment, iirc he's going to test it out.

if you're feeling brave, you can follow these instructions to wire up your own AV cables:

Pressgrove

Reaction score
You can turn on the backup camera manually from the display without being in reverse. Just put a mark on your garage floor behind the truck that lines up with the hash marks in your backup camera when you pull in forward. When the hash mark lines up with the line on the floor, you know you're good.

Last edited:

JohnUSA

Reaction score
You can turn on the backup camera manually from the display without being in reverse. Just put a mark on your garage floor behind the truck that lines up with the hash marks in your backup camera when you pull in forward. When the hash mark lines up with the line on the floor, you know you're good.
That means I got to put special marks in front of all the bars around town!

freerider969

Reaction score
I was amazed to find out when i drive in my garage forward, i can activate the rear backup cam and watch the garage door track get cleared, knowing i can close the door and maximize the room in front of my truck.

I think the forward cam on mine is part of the 4 cam 360 view. I like using my backup cam for determining my garage entry depth.
Great idea!

AnthonyJS02

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of those front license plate cameras. Don't think you can tie into system. But could have it appear on phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neokane

Reaction score
I'm waiting for 100% OEM. I think having a 12" screen and then needing another monitor to see that.
Same with adding after market vented seats. The rebel doesnt come with them, but I would love to have OEM integration instead of a different switch. (All my rocker switches are used and have OEM brake controller)

shaveman

Reaction score
Any updates from anyone on a solution they've tried to add a front camera? I have the 8.4" non-Nav unit. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on the aforementioned Costco solar camera option as a temporary solution. But I have a Tazer DT and I'm curious if anyone has run a camera using that with the Zautomotive AV cable.

Makenlegs

Reaction score
Dealer told me it had a front and rear camera during the test drive. Go it home and realized it just has a rear camera. Any update on this. Can you buy the factory one and the harness and make it work?

titi85

Reaction score
je n'ai pas la caméra avant. en photo mon le montage d'origine. je voudrai mettre la caméra avant Limited, d'origine et, la faire reconnaître par Uconnect 12 pouces 20190517_114926.jpg

titi85

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "titi85, post: 198080, membre: 21813"]
je n'ai pas la caméra avant. en photo mon montage d'origine. je voudrais connaître la caméra avant Limitée, d'origine et faire reconnaître par Uconnect 12 pouces View attachment 37453
[/CITATION]caméra "LIMITED" IMG-20181128-WA0005.jpg

Lize

Reaction score
Using Google translate:
I do not have the camera before. in picture my original montage. I would like to put the front camera Limited, original and, have it recognized by Uconnect 12 inches

Shame, I thought for a minute it might have said I have added a front camera.

caseman47

Reaction score
I happened to message zAutomotive, maker of the Tazer DT (in the other group buy thread) and there's an untested option for two new AV inputs to the Uconnect system. They will be aiming to test this soon on a 2019 1500's Uconnect system soon.... so fingers crossed, that'll be a reason for the Tazer.

Other than that, thanks for the user experience above for the solar license plate cam from costco - i saw this and was on the fence; might as well be a good option for the front // quick swap to the boat trailer if it's waterproof?
In case your still wondering I blast it with the power washer all the time and haven’t had any issues.. I had the tazer for my challenger to integrate a front camera and it worked flawlessly.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a tazer on an 8.4 or 12 inch screen? Can you activate the cargo camera input and see an icon on the screen when you either press the reverse camera input or put the vehicle in reverse?
If you have a tazer and activate the cargo camera feature and it shows up than you should be able to add and rca cable to pin 21 signal 22 ground on the harness to the radio. That is the input pins for the cargo camera with non 360 camera equipped vehicles.
I can not test this unless someone who is trying to add the camera is in Dallas. My ram is equipped with the 360 view system and trying to remove it to test is not easy. On Facebook and such I’ve been reporting this info. I’d like to prove it but can’t without someone local.
The camera uses a fakra connector for the oem stuff. But if you add the rca with the correct pins ( which you can get from zauto ) and activate the input use of an aftermarket camera should work.
I have the cable available with pins and will try this with someone local (no tazer needed ) if sometime wants too. We don’t even have to run the camera first.
So again if someone with a tazer can post if the cargo camera input will activate or show up as an option after it is enabled with a tazer On a vehicle not equipped with 360 view system and no front camera currently. FYI after you enable the feature it will take time to show up. The radio takes for ever to update. Sometimes multiple key cycles or down time being off.

2019Ram64

Reaction score
So basically there is a chance to add a camera to the cargo camera input on non 360 equipped vehicles and use that as a front camera selection. After market camera will be needed or you’ll have to buy oem cut the cable (inside vehicle connection) and solder an rca end on to it. As that fakra connector is for the 360 camera view brain connection only.
I’m available to try today I have everything needed to test it out if your in Dallas. Plano area

Neokane

Reaction score
Would love to help out.. but iowa is a little far away.

Users who are viewing this thread