5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added the Pulsar

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. So I would then suggest doing the PC and calling it a day. :)

Creep0321

Reaction score
That’s if you never plan on changing tire size... (my understanding is the rim size is irrelevant, just the overall size of tire=rolling distance)

Saints

Reaction score
I’m going Tazer DT/ Pedal Commander combo. Even if the Pulsar does add HP to the truck I like that the Tazer adds more functionality and may also be updated to add new features and honestly all I really want is better throttle response so the PC will be fine for me. Plus it’s a lot faster to unplug this combo for dealer work, I know the Pulsar is easy also, but these are a lot faster IMO.

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
I thought the Pulsar can do other things like change spark advance, shift patterns, etc....

NightRebel

Reaction score
I just put my Pulsar on. I could only confirm what others are saying. It’s a heck of a lot of fun to drive in Performance Mode. I’d doubt the 30/30 increase numbers. I have etorque too.

I haven’t tried performance much yet because I want the tank full of 91 octane first so I’ve only been in and out of Performance mode a few times. Otherwise I drive in Stock right now.

Throttle response is a snap. Shifting is so smooth. Very obvious difference and huge fun factor. From what I read here about Pedal Commander may not be worth more $ I don’t know. Have to get used to driving it with throttle so responsive. Once I have all tank mostly cleared out I’ll play with Performance more.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have either yet. Research, research, research.......What I’ve searched and read neither the PC or pulsar throttle response actually make time differences or very little if any per cost from petal to throttle change. It’s more fun to drive, Ofcourse it is!!! Which I’m not taking away from ignition timing and other stuff the pulsar is to do.

If your a timer person. Down a 1/8 or quarter mile makes little/no actual time change especially for the money spent.
I’m not bashing on all peeps doing these mods. Think it’s great and keeps you involved with the truck, I’m happy for it makes for better truck in end. Just trying to bring a different perspective on things, mostly for the newer peeps that haven’t been around.
Reminds me of the smarty tuner days. 10% input 50% output.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's still an open question as to whether the Pulsar increases HP and torque in Performance mode. Pulsar claims about a 30/30 increase in both. But I'd like to see independent before and after dyno pulls to settle the question. It feels like an increase in Performance mode, but an increase of 30 HP in a truck that has stock HP of 395 is only about a 7.6% increase. I suppose that's enough of an increase to be noticeable on the ole butt dyno, but what you get with the Pulsar may just be throttle response, etc. I know I'm glad I bought the Pulsar. I stay in Performance mode pretty much all the time now.
Let's do some 0-60 ETs to determine if the Pulsar increases power. It's cheaper than a Dyno and a good indicator of any gains.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let's do some 0-60 ETs to determine if the Pulsar increases power. It's cheaper than a Dyno and a good indicator of any gains.

Couldn’t increased throttle response, different shift points, and maybe a bit of advanced timing alone give the Pulsar truck a better 0 to 60 time without there being an actual increase in HP? It would be less expensive though.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ believe he was saying to do some 0-60 times instead of a dyno

Right. I’m just wondering if the Pulsar might not produce a bit quicker time even if it doesn’t actually increase the truck’s HP.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couldn’t increased throttle response, different shift points, and maybe a bit of advanced timing alone give the Pulsar truck a better 0 to 60 time without there being an actual increase in HP? It would be less expensive though.
No. That's not how physics work. If a mass accelerates faster than before, it has more force over the same time than it did previously. That means more power was applied.

The area under the power curve is different than just the peak power. Everyone focuses on peak HP but we don't operate at peak HP often. The motor does not just put out peak power immediately. It ramps up to peak, the transmission shifts immediately, rpm drops, and it ramps up again. Very little time is spent at peak HP. If the hp/tq is improved below the peak but not at the peak, the vehicle is still quicker because it has better power over the operating range where it counts.

This is why a 250 hp diesel feels more powerful than a 350 hp gasser. The diesel makes more of it's HP within the normal operating range.

That being said, an 8% HP increase somewhere within the operating range is not huge....but it should yield a better 0-60.

Last edited:

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. That's not how physics work. If a mass accelerates faster than before, it has more force over the same time than it did previously. That means more power was applied.

The area under the power curve is different than just the peak power. Everyone focuses on peak HP but we don't operate at peak HP often. The motor does not just put out peak power immediately. It ramps up to peak, the transmission shifts immediately, rpm drops, and it ramps up again. Very little time is spent at peak HP. If the hp/tq is improved below the peak but not at the peak, the vehicle is still quicker because it has better power over the operating range where it counts.

This is why a 250 hp diesel feels more powerful than a 350 hp gasser. The diesel makes more of it's HP within the normal operating range.

That being said, an 8% HP increase somewhere within the operating range is not huge....but it should yield a better 0-60.

Thanks for the reply. Given that the video that RedRocket posted showed the Pulsar producing a slightly better 0 to 60 time, I guess we cam assume that the Pulsar in performance mode is indeed adding some HP. That’s great. They apparently are somewhat better than the Pedal Commander.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I found the same video but the one I watched was a guy using a GPS based app. No way that's accurate. I have Tazer DT module installed on my truck and it measures 0-60 ET directly from the speedo. I'll do some test soon and report back.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure I found the same video but the one I watched was a guy using a GPS based app. No way that's accurate. I have Tazer DT module installed on my truck and it measures 0-60 ET directly from the speedo. I'll do some test soon and report back.

The video that RedRocket posted is number 113 above. The guy was using the timer on his smart phone. He would push the start button when he took off and hit the stop button when the truck hit 60 and 100 mph. Not sure how accurate that method is with human reaction time and all. But the 60 and 100 mph pulls were a little bit better with the Pulsar in performance mode.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the Pulsar is good for a 0.3 sec improvement 0-60 mph based on several runs I just made. I think traction control is limiting the launch. I'll try Stock vs Performance with TC off later.

Users who are viewing this thread