5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added the Pulsar

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I installed the Pulsar last night when I got home. Seat of the pants dyno (aka butt dyno) bears out the claims that the Pulsar works pretty well; at least in performance mode. This is just my impression from driving into work this morning. Performance mode really wakes the engine and throttle response up. Because of the sensitive throttle response and I'm assuming tighter shift points and increased power, I had to watch myself in a misty rain with slick roads.

It probably helps that I also now have the Afe CAI and the Magnaflow 14' muffler assembly from B2 Fabrications on the truck.

Darn thing now runs and sounds like I think a 5.7L Hemi should.

Cheers!(y)

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m sadly on the fence about the Pulsar, looking forward to more of your thoughts as you learn more about it...

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sadly on the fence about the Pulsar, looking forward to more of your thoughts as you learn more about it...

Yes. The Pulsar has seven other modes that I haven't played around with yet. I went straight to the performance mode and it was so much fun, I didn't change it on my way in this morning. Just wondering what my MPGs will be in performance mode. Probably not too good because I want to drive it like I drive my 15 Mustang GT. :)

PorBoy

Reaction score
I know someone was suggesting the performance mode was too much and he used the tow/haul mode to calm it down.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know someone was suggesting the performance mode was too much and he used the tow/haul mode to calm it down.

I'll have to check out the tow mode. The performance mode is indeed a handful.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Well the good part is that you have plenty of time to check the various settings out.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really want to buy this but I’m afraid the dealer will know something was put in with whatever reads they can get off the truck. If the situation was to happen where the truck has to go in for something. They probably can’t prove it but they still would not want to service it. Then we I would have to have them prove it and that’s going to take a long time.

DanSkan

Reaction score
Yes. The Pulsar has seven other modes that I haven't played around with yet. I went straight to the performance mode and it was so much fun, I didn't change it on my way in this morning. Just wondering what my MPGs will be in performance mode. Probably not too good because I want to drive it like I drive my 15 Mustang GT. :)
Please keep us, that are concidering getting a pulsar, updated on the performance and mpgs in the different modes. Under standing that we may not have the same mods as you.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
I really want to buy this but I’m afraid the dealer will know something was put in with whatever reads they can get off the truck. If the situation was to happen where the truck has to go in for something. They probably can’t prove it but they still would not want to service it. Then we I would have to have them prove it and that’s going to take a long time.

You would need to remove it before taking in the vehicle for service. They would be able to visually see it sitting there.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I just installed on my new Laramie with 200 miles. This may seem odd, but it seems like TOW mode delivers both better than stock performance and improved mpg. Seems to be better mpg on highway than economy mode.

Performance mode is just extreme. Well worth the price..

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed on my new Laramie with 200 miles. This may seem odd, but it seems like TOW mode delivers both better than stock performance and improved mpg. Seems to be better mpg on highway than economy mode.

Performance mode is just extreme. Well worth the price..

I'm gonna try tow mode on the way home this evening, Jagtyson. Thanks for chiming in.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Let me know. I just took out with the GPS to compare speed to ensure everything was set correctly on the pulsar and it is.

Checked tow again compared to economy mode and seems to be similar if not better on the highway mpg but with super performance around town. I'm just keeping in tow for now.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would need to remove it before taking in the vehicle for service. They would be able to visually see it sitting there.
I get that but your not understanding. If they run tests of hp output and rpm logs, they may suspect something. Suspecting something is enough for them to say, this has been tampered with. Do they have the proof, no. Will they still decline to service it, very likely.

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^. I’m going to say this, if you are worried like that I strongly suggest you avoid buying one. Better to be at peace, then worried every time you have to take your truck in. :)

TruckFoo

Reaction score
Here's my two cents...I installed a PC07 Pedal Commander (bluetooth compatible) and am able to state the same things Ram owners have said about the Pulsar. I can choose from different modes, have definite improved throttle response and have experienced better gas mileage. I attribute the better gas mileage to better/ faster shifting through the 8 gears and maintaining ECO mode for longer periods of time. I have not seen a review yet that can give me a reason why I should spend $150 to $175 more for the Pulsar. If it's true that Pulsar will update their product with the ability to download/ update new tunes for engine mods or changes then the product may be worth the additional cost. Until then I'm more apt to reccomend the inexpensive Pedal Commander vs. the Pulsar.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please keep us, that are concidering getting a pulsar, updated on the performance and mpgs in the different modes. Under standing that we may not have the same mods as you.

Performance mode is proving to be addictive. But I’m coming from a six speed ‘15 Mustang GT with quite a few performance and handling mods. This mode is seriously fun. I can see running in the other modes for better MPGs. And I’m sure I’ll be doing that. But right now, this is fun.

Caveat: I don’t know if the Pulsar makes more HP or torque like they claim. But in performance mode, this is a different truck.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the performance mode really that big of a difference?

Ortiz - I found stock and it’s throttle response to be kind of sluggish. Now, if you push the pedal down in stock mode, it’ll get up and go.

Maybe the Pulsar in performance mode is all throttle response and some advanced timing without any real HP gain. They claim extra HP and torque. But without a before and after dyno pull, I can’t say.

But it’s a lot more responsive and fun to drive. If you’re thinking about the Pulsar and running it performance mode, you probably best not be too concerned with MPGs. :)

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ortiz - I found stock and it’s throttle response to be kind of sluggish. Now, if you push the pedal down in stock mode, it’ll get up and go.

Maybe the Pulsar in performance mode is all throttle response and some advanced timing without any real HP gain. They claim extra HP and torque. But without a before and after dyno pull, I can’t say.

But it’s a lot more responsive and fun to drive. If you’re thinking about the Pulsar and running it performance mode, you probably best not be too concerned with MPGs. :)

I’m concerned with MPG in stock form. That’s why I’m concerned as of right now. But if I get the Pulsar, that gets thrown out the window. Would really love to see a dyno sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread