5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added the Pulsar

colo-pr

Reaction score
I agree with BeauxXL1200, give it a few miles. I just turned 4000 and seems to be a little better, I only see under 14mpg first thing after startup when the ambient temp is cool. Once engine/trans warm up the MPG gets better. Computer shows me getting 17-18 a lot of the time. On a good day it goes up from there if I drive it right.
Attached pick of headed home from work a week or so ago, this is about as good as I ever see on the interstate without a tailwind, notice it was just about to turn 4000 miles in the pic.
FYI I only use 89 octane, I initially started on 87 and either more miles, more octane, or some combination made a difference. And I live in a very flat area which helps a lot.

I hope it gets better because I dont know what im going to do when start pulling my RV in summer haha. I noticed that too, in the cold mornings i need to stop watching the gas info in the display because I get depressed. Im screwed, im in Colorado and here there is a hill every half mile haha

JDBob35a

Reaction score
Don't ya wish RAM would come up with a optional tailwind generator we could add!! LOL

myram2019

Reaction score
After installing the pulsar my radio and some othe functions on the truck where not there and did not work. After cycling the ignition 2-3 times it all went back to normal. Anyone else experience this right after install ??

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After installing the pulsar my radio and some othe functions on the truck where not there and did not work. After cycling the ignition 2-3 times it all went back to normal. Anyone else experience this right after install ??
I noticed my oil pressure gauge flickers from time to time when I cycle through the modes.
It also says (updating...) alot for no apparent reason.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I have 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio if that is what you mean. The sticker says 17 MPG combined. I drive 23 miles a day back and forward. I fill the tank on Monday and when Im back from work the gauge needle is one line less from full. Maybe is me, I need to drive it more.
The sticker is NOT based on your configuration, or 3.92 gears, so expect less. With that said it IS possible to achieve those numbers depending on how you drive.

SColang22

Reaction score
Its just the computer reseting. It happens when you disconnect the battery

myram2019

Reaction score
Not looking to scare or write negative about the Pulsar but, a friend of mine had Pulsar installed for 3 months. Had to take it to the dealer so removed Pulsar that morning and drove the truck normal. That night went to drive and the key fob didnt work. Opened door manually and the alarm went off and could not turn off alarm or start the truck. The truck was towed to the dealer. The truck has been at the dealer for three weeks and is in pieces. Mopar from the factory even came and the truck can not be started. They have no clue what the problem is. I dont know if it has anything to do with the Pulsar being removed or a pure coincidence.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not looking to scare or write negative about the Pulsar but, a friend of mine had Pulsar installed for 3 months. Had to take it to the dealer so removed Pulsar that morning and drove the truck normal. That night went to drive and the key fob didnt work. Opened door manually and the alarm went off and could not turn off alarm or start the truck. The truck was towed to the dealer. The truck has been at the dealer for three weeks and is in pieces. Mopar from the factory even came and the truck can not be started. They have no clue what the problem is. I dont know if it has anything to do with the Pulsar being removed or a pure coincidence.
That's crazy hope he didn't get a lemon or a bad pulsar module.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for the pulsar. Have had it for 5000 miles so far and only run in performance mds off. The v8 growl is all hemi and you really can’t go back to any other setting. MDS OFF for me is preferred. Let the oil flow to all 8 cylinders.
Only a couple of issues:
1) my speed is off by 2 miles even though I set the larger tire size. So when I am going 80, I am actually going 78 mph. Not s big deal.
2) always running min 91 octane and my wallet is off $20 every week!

Current mpg average is 17 mpg over the last 5000 miles (haven’t reset the trip meter).

Big fan of this mod....3.21 gears Laramie longhorn and feels like I am driving a hellcat!

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright gents.... And maybe a badass lady or two.... Where is the best deal on a pulsar?
Order From jegs it was $499.99 but got $50 off but after taxes it was still $486. That was the best I found. BUT someone is selling one on here for like $450 shipped I believe.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What if I dont put 91 octane in on performance mode? It says "recommended" not "required"

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gas is high in NY lol - 89 sounds a little better to me.

Trying to decide before making my purchase.

Creamsicle

Reaction score
You get engine knock

I run only 87 so far - winter fuel at that. No audible knock. Plus, modern factory engine management includes knock sensors.

If the fuel quality is poor enough to induce knock, the ECU will just retard timing. Nothing bad will happen at all - you just may not get optimum performance.

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run only 87 so far - winter fuel at that. No audible knock. Plus, modern factory engine management includes knock sensors.

If the fuel quality is poor enough to induce knock, the ECU will just retard timing. Nothing bad will happen at all - you just may not get optimum performance.
Well said axial_pro

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio if that is what you mean. The sticker says 17 MPG combined. I drive 23 miles a day back and forward. I fill the tank on Monday and when Im back from work the gauge needle is one line less from full. Maybe is me, I need to drive it more.

The sticker is based on the model the EPA tested... likely *not* the trim you have... also don't trust the MPG display unless you've verified it is correct. Mine (and others) reads 1-2 MPG higher than what it is actually getting... the Fuelly app doesn't lie.

SColang22

Reaction score

Yes but to run performance mode for an extended period you need 91 octane or you get engine knock. Been there done that

Users who are viewing this thread