5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added the Pulsar

SColang22

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Pulsar to recalibrate their speedometer for tire size change? I’m curious how easy this is to do. I currently have the hyper tech but am really interested in the Pulsar.
I did. Super easy to do. I had to send my pulsar back due to something in it throwing throttle response and traction control codes but they are sending me a new one that will be here Monday. Just something to watch out for.

SColang22

Reaction score
I agree, I am an engineer and love to see data. It is a thrill to see performance curves, before and after and am surprised with all of the pulsar instalations on Rams there is nothing I can find on youtube or the internet.

With all that said, the same engineer in me is super pleased with my pulsar install. I can push the pedal in stock mode and it feels like any other 5.7 hemi... When I do the same in performance mode it slams me into the seat and as it hits 4th through 7th gear you can feel the shifts and the g-force increase as the engine hits it's power bands.

There is clearly an increase in horsepower, but overall it "feels" like much more than just 30 horse power.

No one should get caught up in dyno numbers and miss the experience of a pulsar on a new RAM.
I'm looking to see a stock 5th gen vs one with a pulsar. I'll be a believer in the performance gains when i see that.

cobrar97

Reaction score
Since it operates through the radio menu of the driver's console screen...can you still see regular radio data in that screen when the radio is on?

SColang22

Reaction score
Since it operates through the radio menu of the driver's console screen...can you still see regular radio data in that screen when the radio is on?
Bad answer but yes and no lol. When i first start my car it comes up with the radio options. When i hit cancel on the cruise control the radio info goes away and it shows the Pulsar mode i am in. i do not know how to get the radio info back on it without changing radio stations and/or turning off the truck.

cobrar97

Reaction score
Bad answer but yes and no lol. When i first start my car it comes up with the radio options. When i hit cancel on the cruise control the radio info goes away and it shows the Pulsar mode i am in. i do not know how to get the radio info back on it without changing radio stations and/or turning off the truck.

That would still be ok. Assuming you leave it in the same mode for the most part, it wouldn't matter. I just wanted to make sure it didn't totally disregard the radio info.
I'm assuming the cruise control operates it until the cruise is actually turned ON, in which case the Pulsar is not not modifiable until the cruise is off again...right?

SColang22

Reaction score
That would still be ok. Assuming you leave it in the same mode for the most part, it wouldn't matter. I just wanted to make sure it didn't totally disregard the radio info.
I'm assuming the cruise control operates it until the cruise is actually turned ON, in which case the Pulsar is not not modifiable until the cruise is off again...right?
That's correct. I leave it in performance mode. With the bigger tires and 93 octane (because my area of the country doesn't have 91 octane) it seems like I'm wasting money in any other mode. Radio info shows as long as i don't hit cancel while cruise control is off.

colo-pr

Reaction score
I only own my new 2019 for 2-3 weeks and I have the feeling that the gas milleage is worst than my old 2014 (same model, 1500), I read everybody talks about performance, Im not really in to that. This device it will really help me with MPG? or any other device helps better? I have everything stock of course.
I appreciate any input.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only own my new 2019 for 2-3 weeks and I have the feeling that the gas milleage is worst than my old 2014 (same model, 1500), I read everybody talks about performance, Im not really in to that. This device it will really help me with MPG? or any other device helps better? I have everything stock of course.
I appreciate any input.

I would wait until the truck has 2 or 3 thousand miles on it before making a firm judgment about the mileage. A lot of folks on here are saying their gas mileage improved after a few thousand miles.

chad202

Reaction score
I appreciate any input.

Which gears you have? I have 3.21s and getting 18.5 around town driving. 700 mile round trip with cruise set tween 75-80 and average 20.5.

Zebber

Reaction score
91 octane is required for pulsar? or just a performance tune

91 octane is only required if running in the performance mode. I haven't tried any of the other modes as of yet,, performance mode has me spoiled.

Zebber

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Pulsar to recalibrate their speedometer for tire size change? I’m curious how easy this is to do. I currently have the hyper tech but am really interested in the Pulsar.

It's really easy to do , you go through the menu and use the gas pedal to set metric or English then use the pedal to change the numbers for tire size, 31', 32', etc or metric, 275/70/r18, etc. Same thing with the diff ratios.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
91 octane is only required if running in the performance mode. I haven't tried any of the other modes as of yet,, performance mode has me spoiled.

Ain’t that the truth. I haven’t tried any of the other modes.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I would wait until the truck has 2 or 3 thousand miles on it before making a firm judgment about the mileage. A lot of folks on here are saying their gas mileage improved after a few thousand miles.

I agree with BeauxXL1200, give it a few miles. I just turned 4000 and seems to be a little better, I only see under 14mpg first thing after startup when the ambient temp is cool. Once engine/trans warm up the MPG gets better. Computer shows me getting 17-18 a lot of the time. On a good day it goes up from there if I drive it right.
Attached pick of headed home from work a week or so ago, this is about as good as I ever see on the interstate without a tailwind, notice it was just about to turn 4000 miles in the pic.
FYI I only use 89 octane, I initially started on 87 and either more miles, more octane, or some combination made a difference. And I live in a very flat area which helps a lot.

Attachments

• MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 82

colo-pr

Reaction score

good to know, I'll wait then.

colo-pr

Reaction score
Which gears you have? I have 3.21s and getting 18.5 around town driving. 700 mile round trip with cruise set tween 75-80 and average 20.5.

I have 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio if that is what you mean. The sticker says 17 MPG combined. I drive 23 miles a day back and forward. I fill the tank on Monday and when Im back from work the gauge needle is one line less from full. Maybe is me, I need to drive it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online