5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added the Pulsar

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BeauxXL1200 - what rear do you have? 3.21 or 3.92?

I’ve got the 3.21 rear end. The truck is a 4 x 4. Don’t know that it makes much of a difference though. There are other modes with the Pulsar that are less aggressive and probably provide better MPGs. But I’m not saying the performance mode, in and of itself, results in worse MPGs. I’m just saying my MPGs will probably suffer because it wants me to drive in a more spirited manner; so to speak. :)

TruckFoo

Reaction score
I’m concerned with MPG in stock form. That’s why I’m concerned as of right now. But if I get the Pulsar, that gets thrown out the window. Would really love to see a dyno sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both of these products, the Pulsar and the Pedal Commander probably do not offer any horse power gain. I can 100% guarantee that claim (no HP gain) for the PC07. They each seem to work with the computer to modify throttle responses when accelerating. Based on prior comments regarding the Pulsar and the Pedal Commander, they both accomplish a fun ride. In my experience with the pedal commander, it has Eco, City, Performance and Performance Plus settings. Each setting has 8 and modes to choose from, 4 plus and 4 minus. One of the better products I purchased for my truck definitely recommend it to others.

tysmith

Reaction score
I only ask because I am in the purchase phase. Local trucks are 3.21, and I plan on going to 33-34" tires. Drove my buddies 3.21, with four guys in it, on a ski trip. It seemed ok to me, though he was on stock tire size. I figure a 3.21 truck with pulsar should have enough fun factor for me, even with 33-34" tires.
I have a heavy right foot, myself. 5.7 is probably going to sting a bit since my 3500 I average 16mpg in the winter, 18ish mpg in the summer. But gas is cheaper than diesel, and smiles per gallon are more important than miles per gallon, right?
Glad you are enjoying the pulsar, and that Billet Silver looks good on that Longhorn!

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only ask because I am in the purchase phase. Local trucks are 3.21, and I plan on going to 33-34" tires. Drove my buddies 3.21, with four guys in it, on a ski trip. It seemed ok to me, though he was on stock tire size. I figure a 3.21 truck with pulsar should have enough fun factor for me, even with 33-34" tires.
I have a heavy right foot, myself. 5.7 is probably going to sting a bit since my 3500 I average 16mpg in the winter, 18ish mpg in the summer. But gas is cheaper than diesel, and smiles per gallon are more important than miles per gallon, right?
Glad you are enjoying the pulsar, and that Billet Silver looks good on that Longhorn!

Thanks, Tysmith. This truck is exceeding my expectations. Even without the Pulsar. No issues after about 1,200 miles. Fingers crossed.

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I’m concerned with MPG in stock form. That’s why I’m concerned as of right now. But if I get the Pulsar, that gets thrown out the window. Would really love to see a dyno sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ortiz, not sure your statement is accurate. If you install the Pulsar you are not throwing anything out the window. If you want performance you get tons of it, if you want mpg then select economy. If you want both better than stock select TOW.

Performance setting is so extreme that I fear using that setting when daily driving. I have found TOW mode to give be better than stock performance on the low end and much better mpg on the highway.

I have seen no lag or issues other than accidentally pushing the cruise down button while in economy mode. Doing that drops you directly into performance mds off mode and if not careful not only do you get slammed back into your seat you can risk losing control of the truck. Never shift modes when making a turn or on a curve.

I get super performance when I need it (TOW) setting while getting 3 plus mpg better at highway speed in (TOW) verses stock and I think better than or equal to economy at highway speed.

Make sure rear end gears and tire size are set correctly or all the dash outputs, mpg, speedo will give false info.

Last edited:

blacksmoke06

Reaction score
I installed my Pulsar Friday and love it. The added throttle sensitivity and power is very noticeable and fun to drive. Its so easy changing power levels using the cruise control. I filled up today and my milage increased .5 mpg penciled out in economy mode. For me that's a great improvement. The ease of installation and fun factor is worth every penny. I encourage anyone to give it a try.

Creamsicle

Reaction score
I’ll chime in with another stout recommendation for the Pulsar.

Ridiculous bang for buck, simple install, and easily reversible for dealer visits. (Although no tech will ever care or notice if you are not there for motor warranty issues.)

A previous poster’s suggestion that the dealer could evaluate power & torque logs is dreaming. The “power meters” in some modern cars are accelerometer based and not actual measurements.

The only way to measure power is with a dyno. Dealers just don’t do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zebber

Reaction score
The Pulsar is the best mod I have done to my Rebel. It's like driving a completely different truck. I did remove mine when I took it in for the steering recall , just in case. Some dealers may not care about it , some may. I really think it ups the hp although I also added the CAI & Flowmaster exhaust at the same time. I believe Edge advertises 39 Hp gain in performance mode.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Little new to this type of mod - whats the difference between pedal commander and pulsar? Which is better?

Zebber

Reaction score
Pedal Commander taps into the gas pedal circuit and modifies the sensitivity of the pedal to the throttle body motor. Kind of like when cars had throttle cables and linkage to the carbs. Faster throttle response.

Pulsar piggy back's on the factory ECU to modify the throttle response, timing, shift patterns and fuel delivery. Also lets you to make changes for tire sizes and gear ratio's. All FCA vehicles built since 2015 have the ECU's locked. In order to put in a tune you have to have the ECU unlocked ( average cost $300.00- $400.00) and will void your warranty . The Pulsar bypasses the ECU lock feature by piggy backing. Also can be installed and removed in about 5 minutes and leaves no trace for warranty work. So,, the Pulsar does what the pedal Commander does and has a lot more features.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pedal Commander taps into the gas pedal circuit and modifies the sensitivity of the pedal to the throttle body motor. Kind of like when cars had throttle cables and linkage to the carbs. Faster throttle response.

Pulsar piggy back's on the factory ECU to modify the throttle response, timing, shift patterns and fuel delivery. Also lets you to make changes for tire sizes and gear ratio's. All FCA vehicles built since 2015 have the ECU's locked. In order to put in a tune you have to have the ECU unlocked ( average cost $300.00- $400.00) and will void your warranty . The Pulsar bypasses the ECU lock feature by piggy backing. Also can be installed and removed in about 5 minutes and leaves no trace for warranty work. So,, the Pulsar does what the pedal Commander does and has a lot more features.

Thank you for that explanation. Pulsar it is for me then - get more for the money it seems like compared to Pedal Commander and definitely looks like a simple install when I did some research on it earlier.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for that explanation. Pulsar it is for me then - get more for the money it seems like compared to Pedal Commander and definitely looks like a simple install when I did some research on it earlier.

Zebber’s explanation is indeed good. I would like to see before and after dyno sheets if any forum members test the Pulsar. The company claims an increase in HP and torque in Performance mode. Before and after dyno pulls would confirm this. It sure feels like some gain in Performance mode.

Ya’ll may have seen this guys video which shows him installing the Pulsar and test driving it. I like his reaction at about the 6:00 minute mark. Cheers!

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Zebber’s explanation is indeed good. I would like to see before and after dyno sheets if any forum members test the Pulsar. The company claims an increase in HP and torque in Performance mode. Before and after dyno pulls would confirm this. It sure feels like some gain in Performance mode.

Ya’ll may have seen this guys video which shows him installing the Pulsar and test driving it. I like his reaction at about the 6:00 minute mark. Cheers!

I agree, I am an engineer and love to see data. It is a thrill to see performance curves, before and after and am surprised with all of the pulsar instalations on Rams there is nothing I can find on youtube or the internet.

With all that said, the same engineer in me is super pleased with my pulsar install. I can push the pedal in stock mode and it feels like any other 5.7 hemi... When I do the same in performance mode it slams me into the seat and as it hits 4th through 7th gear you can feel the shifts and the g-force increase as the engine hits it's power bands.

There is clearly an increase in horsepower, but overall it "feels" like much more than just 30 horse power.

No one should get caught up in dyno numbers and miss the experience of a pulsar on a new RAM.

chad202

Reaction score
Is 93octane required for performance tune?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is 93octane required for performance tune?

I believe they recommend at least 91, Chad. But I'm running 93 right now, and I've kept the truck in performance mode since I installed it Monday night. And my MPG is not suffering too much. Probably because I'm resisting the urge to put my foot into all the time, but I do a little bit because it's so fun. Anyway, when I got to work this morning after my 22 mile drive in mixed highway and city driving, my average MPG is sitting at 15.7 which is not too bad because the truck really isn't even broken in yet.

Attachments

• MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 92

SColang22

Reaction score
I have 35's and use the Pulsar. I can say I'm switching to the T2 when it is released. Pulsar works fine I just don't like the MDS off surges and I'm not sure the performance gains they advertise are real other than the throttle response. I will say I only run it in performance mode. With bigger tires the other modes don't do to much for me. Also if I need to run 91 octane in performance mode i aint gonna run anything less. With 33's i don't think you will so a huge difference than stock tires (which I believe are about 32's)

Drewsky510

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Pulsar to recalibrate their speedometer for tire size change? I’m curious how easy this is to do. I currently have the hyper tech but am really interested in the Pulsar.

Users who are viewing this thread