5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Grill Shutter Removal

alsrepair9

Reaction score
I have a question & hope someone can help. I have a 2020 big horn 1500. I’m a rural mail carrier. I took my truck in several months ago for something & they told me my grill shutter was broken. They said it was a plastic “flap” that runs along the bottom in the front. The service guy said it was just for aerodynamics so wasn’t all that important other than with the cel light on I may not know if I have a more serious issue. I’d like to fix it or just remove it if that’s all it’s for & if that’s possible. After reading some of the posts here removal doesn’t really sound possible. Can anyone tell me what this is actually for? I had a Jeep prior to this so I’ve never heard of this. Is it possible to remove it with no problems or cel? If so can you guide me to a video? Also, being such a new truck parts are hard to find are the 2019 or earlier parts the same? Thanks for any advice.
My 20 Ram 1500 Ram 70,000 miles with out the Active Air Dam then I got a code for the Active Shutter Grill anyone no if I can delete this also with no CEL

Antnida

Reaction score
My 20 Ram 1500 Ram 70,000 miles with out the Active Air Dam then I got a code for the Active Shutter Grill anyone no if I can delete this also with no CEL

If you don't need the function of the AGS you can order a new actuator/motor off eBay for about 20 bucks and remove the 12 plastic clips to the cover on top of the radiator, reach down, and use a small flat head to remove the power clip, connect the new motor and zip tie it to the side, reset the code and it should solve the problem.

20231220_110439.jpg

Last edited:

Antnida

Reaction score
Can anyone help let me know when the truck is off and what position the AGS is resting in? (is the AGS closed or open). Thanks, I got the code and took it apart to replace the AGS actuator but not sure what position to put the "blades" back. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread