5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Grill Shutter Removal

steve1982

Reaction score
This post is for anybody interested in removing your Active Grill Shutter (AGS) system.

In my case, I tow the boat a lot and I'm honestly not comfortable with the oil and coolant running 225-230 degrees pretty much all the time, especially not when it gets up to 238 while towing.

The first thing you need to do is remove the grill. I'm not going to get into that here because there are other good posts addressing that. I used the 2 sources below for that info.
5thgenrams.com post by user 0212353: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/headlight-removal.700/
Or this YouTube video here:

Once you get the grill off, you're left with something that looks like this:
pic1.jpg

And from the side looks like this (damn that's restrictive):
pic2.jpg

There are 4 x 10mm bolts to remove, all on the front of the AGS, 1 in each corner basically. After that, there will be several plastic push-pins that you need to pop off to release the AGS. Disconnect the wiring harness going to the motor for the AGS. It should be free to remove now. Set it on the bench and start digging in to it.

The first thing you'll need to do is to unclip and remove the center piece connecting all the fins. This piece makes sure they all move in sync. There are clips down the middle that you need to pop off with a screwdriver.
pic3.jpg

The motor itself is held on by a clip on the front side of the AGS assembly and is removed by sliding the clip out to the left.
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 9.15.32 PM.png

Now flip the AGS over so you can work on removing the motor assembly.
Two of the fins attach directly to the motor. Follow them to either side and pop them out of the retaining hole. I did this by just bending them in the middle until they pop out.
pic5.jpg

You should now be able to lift up on the AGS motor to remove it. Disconnect the fins from the motor and pop them back into the AGS. Set the motor aside as we will use it later. Put the AGS assembly wherever you want. We won't be needing that anymore.
pic6.jpg

Zip-tie the motor in a position where the motor can still turn like normal (if you just remove it, you'll throw codes). I zip-tied my AGS motor on a wiring bundle going to the fuse box. The existing wiring is long enough to make it here without any modifications.
1589940684154.png

I installed my remote oil filter mount and oil cooler about a month before this modification. You can see the final results for me in the picture below. No more stolen airflow.
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 9.24.04 PM.png

I set the entire AGS assembly on a shelf and put everything back together.

I also moved my horn mount to behind the bumper. I extended and rerouted the wiring so it would reach, then bolted them to the metal cross-bars behind the bumper.

I've driven a couple hundred miles since then.
No codes.
Temperatures are consistently around 201-203. Doesn't matter if I'm towing the boat, cruising on the highway at 80mph, or idle for 20 minutes, temps stay pretty much the same.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
I would not recommend this as things are engineered to operate at those temps for usually a good reason.

"Superior temperature resistance. Synthetics can safely handle higher operating temperatures without oxidizing (burning) or breaking down. The upper limit for most mineral-based oils is about 250 to 300 degrees F. Synthetics can take up to 450 degrees F. or higher (some as much as 700 degrees F). This makes it well suited for vehicles that are operated in hot climates as well as heavy-duty, turbocharged or hard-use applications."

U

User_3336

I removed all except 4 slats on an 18.... 5th gen (19-present) looks a bit different.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Front shutters are for mpgs and full control on engine heat up and stay up.

M2k

Reaction score
I just did this mod, but a little differently. I kept the ags frame and just removed all the slats except for the ones attached to the motor. I wanted to keep the rubber fairings in place around the back of it. I think it acts like a shroud keeping the incoming air to the radiator.

I had great results doing similar on my old 4th Gen. lower temps 73C5BD80-95DB-4D84-B698-29E655E0164C.jpeg EA8F1E47-D823-4255-859D-69FA8CAF08C5.jpeg

M2k

Reaction score
Also going to add aluminum screen door material from Home Depot behind it before reinstall to protect the condenser from rocks, bugs etc.

redneck

Reaction score
Can you remove the screen for cleaning bugs out without removing the grill

redneck

Reaction score
During Love Bug season here in Florida you have to wash out your radiator around two times per week

M2k

Reaction score
Can you remove the screen for cleaning bugs out without removing the grill
Ah yes, I remember those orange and black pita bugs lol. No worries about them in Ohio. I always put the screen in all of my new vehicle and ran them when I used to live in Florida.

I just hit the front of the grille with a focused garden hose stream once in a while. They fall off the mesh easily as opposed to jamming them further in the condenser without the screen.

M2k

Reaction score
Hmm. So I got a CEL, something I was trying to avoid doing this differently.

The motor is free to turn the two slats.

Weird thing is I am unable to pull any codes using Alfaobd.

So it’s possible either the CEL is unrelated to my mod and Alfaobd has not caught up with the 2021s yet or the computer is expecting a certain resistance load when the slat motor is operating and not seeing it with the lighter load.

I will post an update with what i find.

OP are you CEL free?

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just pull the F18 fuse while the shutters are in the open position?

0A5FD120-8F32-4191-80B1-99164D5B6731.png

Reactions: M2k

M2k

Reaction score
That would guarantee a CEL no? I don’t mind having the air dam too, I don’t plan to lift as this truck is my tow rig.

M2k

Reaction score
Update, so two other members have replied that they had no CEL doing the following:

One only remove the top two slats for his vararam intake.

The other removed all except the middle and very bottom one. (I just did this)

4EF63CE0-CD30-49BE-841B-C045B4F16FAD.jpeg
I will update if the CEL clears.

Last edited:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would guarantee a CEL no? I don’t mind having the air dam too, I don’t plan to lift as this truck is my tow rig.

You’re correct. It most certainly did. Lame

M2k

Reaction score
My CEL is out after three key cycles :)

I will report back if it comes back on.

popcenator

Reaction score
My CEL is out after three key cycles :)

I will report back if it comes back on.
You should be fine. The ECM checks for a certain range of motion from the middle (and all other shutters). With only the middle installed, and no guide bracket the shutter moves past that range of motion and trips the CEL. With the bracket installed, it limits the shutter to the programmed range and keeps the CEL off. So having the middle and at least one other shutter installed allows you to retain the guide.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: M2k

M2k

Reaction score
You should be fine. The ECM checks for a certain range of motion from the middle (and all other shutters). With only the middle installed, and no guide bracket the shutter moves past that range of motion and trips the CEL. With the bracket installed, it limits the shutter to the programmed range and keeps the CEL off. So having the middle and at least one other shutter installed allows you to retain the guide.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I wonder how these guys are claiming no CEL with the motor zip tied to a bracket. Gonna call BS on that. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread