5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC - does anyone have a truck that blows ice cold?

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd bring it back and complain - be a thorn in their sides and they'll want to fix it to get rid of you. You paid $$$$ for a new truck and shouldn't have to be miserable driving it or put up with the BS.

That was 2nd time I was in for the AC, I already had a case open with RAMCares. I will be going back a 3rd time for the AC. Just waiting for my brake parts to come in.

I'm pretty sure they want to get rid of me by now, I've been in about 7-8 times in the past 3 months for all kinds of issues warranty and recalls.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Guys make sure that you buy a decent fast acting digital thermometer with a corded probe you can actually insert at least three inches into the vent ducting, it's the only way you are going to get a better idea of just what the larger picture is with everyones trucks. Everyone should post temps pre and post changes made whether by the dealer or your own mod to the truck.

Too many people speaking about how they "feel" (perceive) the temps in the truck, that isn't helpful in any meaningful way to the entire community with this problem. Thanks.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’ve got to take mine in for the latest recall, so I’ll have them address it when I’m there. I’ll get readings before and after.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
93 F here today with high humidity

Hotter than a snakes azz in a wagon wheel rut. Hotter than cajun grits. Hotter than Charlize Theron in 2 Days In The Valley

HAAAWWTTT!!

AC worked like a charm baybay

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I had this TSB done two weeks ago, didn't help at all. I've still got vent temps in the mid to high 50's.
I haven't seen anyone post recorded driver side vent temperatures less than that without blocking the heater core hose. (Please prove me wrong..)

I agree to keep being a pain like many of us on the forum who like low 40F air, it's the only chance we have at a factory fix, even though I'm very pessimistic anything will be done.

Lawman

Reaction score
Okay sorta late to this party but wanted to add my 2 cents..Found the Limited truck I wanted at a better price than I ever expected ..Just got back from test driving it and I can tell you without a doubt the a.c. does not cool nearly as well as my 2010 F150..I took digital thermometer and tested the ambient temp on my test drive..The best temp I got was after 10 minute drive including some highway speeds and the lowest it reached was 49 degrees..It took a long time to cool down the cabin and the way the vents are constructed you cannot direct the air to your body nearly to the extent that I can in my Ford..Immediately after leaving the dealership I took the same route in my Ford that I had taken in the Ram and my truck cooled down within a couple of minutes well before I reached the highway...Truck air temp was 43 within 3 minutes.. The outside temp was around 86 F..It was cloudy..The most troubling thing to me was the length of time it took for the Dodge to reach the low temp. and the fact that I was unable to direct any vents on myself..Also I might add the Ram was on full fan speed which I do not like and when I compared my Ford I never went to high on fan speed..I can tell you without reservation the difference between the the two is great..The cabin of the ram just took too long to get comfortable for Texas..I could have bought the truck at 23% below MSRP for $51,000.00 I've decided to pass...

tdager

Reaction score
Okay sorta late to this party but wanted to add my 2 cents..Found the Limited truck I wanted at a better price than I ever expected ..Just got back from test driving it and I can tell you without a doubt the a.c. does not cool nearly as well as my 2010 F150..I took digital thermometer and tested the ambient temp on my test drive..The best temp I got was after 10 minute drive including some highway speeds and the lowest it reached was 49 degrees..It took a long time to cool down the cabin and the way the vents are constructed you cannot direct the air to your body nearly to the extent that I can in my Ford..Immediately after leaving the dealership I took the same route in my Ford that I had taken in the Ram and my truck cooled down within a couple of minutes well before I reached the highway...Truck air temp was 43 within 3 minutes.. The outside temp was around 86 F..It was cloudy..The most troubling thing to me was the length of time it took for the Dodge to reach the low temp. and the fact that I was unable to direct any vents on myself..Also I might add the Ram was on full fan speed which I do not like and when I compared my Ford I never went to high on fan speed..I can tell you without reservation the difference between the the two is great..The cabin of the ram just took too long to get comfortable for Texas..I could have bought the truck at 23% below MSRP for $51,000.00 I've decided to pass...

Just goes to show how all of this is about “feel” and opinion. Mine is great, but I also do not expect to turn the inside of my truck to a meat locker in 10 minutes.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Meat locker lol hilarious

that gave me a great idea for a new business - selling T-bones & ribeyes out of the second row, street side baby - I’ll tag some organic bs on the side of the truck, Jack the price up 100% and throw a premium grill in the bed and write the whole rig off as a business venture lol

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s been pretty warm in R.I. the past few days. Not Texas hot, but pretty warm. Yesterday was over 90, and today was high 80’s and very muggy. I have to say, I have been very comfortable in my truck.

Like everyone else, I measured my vent temps a while back and was reading around 49-50 out of the drivers center, and 42ish out of the passenger center...that was in the early spring and I was worried that it wasn’t going to be adequate for the summer months when the temps hit the 90s. After the past few days, I now know that I can live with it as is. I am no longer stressing out about it, and I’m really just enjoying owning my truck!

Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely not the best AC I’ve ever had, and I have to leave it on MAX all the time, but it definitely gets the job done. It cools the cab down just fine and at no time did I ever feel uncomfortable.

And, I definitely run hot and have a low tolerance for heat. I love air conditioning, even when it’s just mildly hot outside. I’m the type that turns the central air on in my house in June and leaves it on until October.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Meat locker lol hilarious

that gave me a great idea for a new business - selling T-bones & ribeyes out of the second row, street side baby - I’ll tag some organic bs on the side of the truck, Jack the price up 100% and throw a premium grill in the bed and write the whole rig off as a business venture lol
"Trump Steaks" going out of business sale :rolleyes:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
100 here today in Colorado, and it was good and cool in my BLACK truck

No doubt its a "poorer performer" than other vehicles, but i suspect a'ddl factors when comparing the other vehicles "inside temp cooling times" GOT to have something to do with the cabin is bigger, the headliners in many are ALL black, the pano roof is HUGE, and just in general, to me its a "hot a$$ truck" : )

My solution is to ALWAYS go outside to my "tip to tail BLACK truck" 10 minutes before and roll windows down, turn on A/C and when i come back its "totally comfortable"... Not "meat locker cold" BUT definitely a non issue.

In a perfect world i shouldn't HAVE to do that on the REALLY hot days... BUT i'm glad "that is the ONLY extra step" i have to do to achieve a comfortable temp.... could always be worse : )

Tom488

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone post recorded driver side vent temperatures less than that without blocking the heater core hose. (Please prove me wrong..)
Okay... I've got an 11/18 Laramie build here, with no mods to cooling system (yet). I've been driving around with an A/C analog thermometer in my dash vents for over a month, and I get about 46°F from the driver's side center vent... and about 42°F from the pax side. We've just now started to get really hot temps here in NJ (I saw 96°F ambient the other day), and so far, the A/C is keeping up. The minute it doesn't, I'm closing off the supply to the heater core.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay... I've got an 11/18 Laramie build here, with no mods to cooling system (yet). I've been driving around with an A/C analog thermometer in my dash vents for over a month, and I get about 46°F from the driver's side center vent... and about 42°F from the pax side. We've just now started to get really hot temps here in NJ (I saw 96°F ambient the other day), and so far, the A/C is keeping up. The minute it doesn't, I'm closing off the supply to the heater core.
Those are pretty good numbers, Tom. Without clamping off the hose, the best I can get is 53 or so out the center, driver’s side vent, and 47 or so out of passenger side vent.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are best temps that I think anyone has reported with truck in stock form. You were lucky and got a truck probably working as intended. Please verify accuracy of thermometer by suspending probe in ice water without touching bottom or walls of glass just for accuracy sake. I believe it will read like 32.1 or close. With heater coolant flow restricted, I bet you will get close to 40 / 38 out of those vents! Nice and cold!

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No doubt its a "poorer performer" than other vehicles, but i suspect a'ddl factors when comparing the other vehicles "inside temp cooling times" GOT to have something to do with the cabin is bigger, the headliners in many are ALL black, the pano roof is HUGE, and just in general, to me its a "hot a$$ truck" : )

My solution is to ALWAYS go outside to my "tip to tail BLACK truck" 10 minutes before and roll windows down, turn on A/C and when i come back its "totally comfortable"... Not "meat locker cold" BUT definitely a non issue.

In a perfect world i shouldn't HAVE to do that on the REALLY hot days... BUT i'm glad "that is the ONLY extra step" i have to do to achieve a comfortable temp.... could always be worse : )
Lil Miss - I wonder if idling the truck for 10 minutes is adversely affecting your MPGs very much? Even if so, it’s likely worth it to have comfortable AC.

Lawman

Reaction score
It was really a disappointment for me..I was super excited to find the truck I would have ordered for $15,000.00 off MSRP..Living in Texas has its advantages but the heat here is oppressive in the summer..If I lived elsewhere it might not be so important...

Users who are viewing this thread