5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've already complained about the A/C 6 times with this dealership...3 times with TSB in hand...2 times with RAMCares/Corporate Engineering involvement. All 6 times was "no" just wrapped in a different explanation.

There's only 1 other dealership I'd go to, which is furthest away from me in the area, which has recently changed ownership so they are now off my list. Even if any of the other 5 dealerships in my area would perform the TSB I have z-e-r-o confidence that they would care that it was somebody's $50K+ truck that they were working on. The risk is not worth the reward for me personally.

The dealership has taken care of every other issue I've had and they are the only one I will go to. I have an extended warranty until 2026 so every time I take the truck in for something The A/C TSB is on my list. I will wear them down or die trying.
You should ask for your concern/complaint and TSB to be written up on a service form...AND for them to include their reason for denying it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should ask for your concern/complaint and TSB to be written up on a service form...AND for them to include their reason for denying it.
Haven't done a "service form" but have it on the invoices:

First 3 visits (pre-TSB): told the A/C was normal.

I brought in the TSB with the sections highlighted on symptoms and how to bill FCA and:

4th visit: passed "cooldown test". I opened a case with corporate and they (weeks later) agreed with the dealership.

5th visit: I told them to open a STAR Case if they weren't going to do the TSB. Passed "cooldown test". STAR Case opened. Corporate sided with dealership.

6th visit: I opened a case with corporate before taking the truck in. Corporate worked with the dealership while the truck was in for service. Passed "cooldown test". Corporate sided with dealership.

The true definition of insanity. If I trusted another dealership I would go there, but I don't. Now I'm in ESP territory so it's not worth $100 a pop just to keep trying to get this done. Any time I have work done I'll throw it on the list and see what happens but I'm not going out of my way (or waste more of my life) to focus on it. I've got good tint now which makes a big difference. Not as good as a cold A/C but good enough to make me happy.

Last edited:

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Well, you could be like me and have it approved and waiting on parts for a year. Dealership never called me and i checked with them several times and finally just gave up. F350 is scheduled to be built next week. Fingers crossed. I’ve been waiting months. Hoping i don’t get bumped.

Papcie03

Reaction score
I had the TSB performed on my truck a few months ago. Since then. When the truck is cooled to temp (as in on a longer trip or after the sun goes down) with HVAC in auto or manual, with sync turned on, I've noted the two front passenger vents blow hot air every 5-10 minutes before cooling down to match driver's side temps.

This happens with HVAC temp set to 70-72 and a low cooling load like at night or when it's not so hot out. The ac is better than it was but the hot air every few minutes isn't great for comfort.

Truck has been back to the dealer once for this issue and they recalibrated the blend doors but issue was not resolved. It's going back in this week but hoping someone can help with a possible cause to prevent the endless "could not replicate customer concern" that I'm sure is coming.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
During these temps right now, After my truck has been in the sun all day, I set temp to LO and crank the blower all the way. After 5 minutes it’s nice and comfortable. TSB worked great.

CJW

Reaction score
During these temps right now, After my truck has been in the sun all day, I set temp to LO and crank the blower all the way. After 5 minutes it’s nice and comfortable. TSB worked great.
I just thought that to myself the other day. I did a quick remote start and after Maybe 2-3 minutes of running jumped in the truck and was happy it had cooled down much more than I would have expected (black truck, 95 degree day).

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I found the TSB helps, BUT not where it should be. Since gonna be like 107, probably gonna put the clamp back on the water pump outlet hose for a bunch of days to get temps below 40 degrees, instead of the 47 it blows after driving a while.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Compared with my 19 Ram my 21 Ram is way cooler but not Ford or Gm cold, I was in a GEN 3 Raptor few days back same heat conditions and the Raptor was super cold fan on 2 while in my Ram fan on 5.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I found the TSB helps, BUT not where it should be. Since gonna be like 107, probably gonna put the clamp back on the water pump outlet hose for a bunch of days to get temps below 40 degrees, instead of the 47 it blows after driving a while.
Agree. It’s better after doing the TSB, but nowhere near good performing.
My son‘s Tacoma goes from zero to freeze-your-bollocks cold in about ten seconds flat. This is a four-cylinder base model Tacoma btw.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Agree. It’s better after doing the TSB, but nowhere near good performing.
My son‘s Tacoma goes from zero to freeze-your-bollocks cold in about ten seconds flat. This is a four-cylinder base model Tacoma btw.
My new Silverado does too!
I couldn’t even imagine how bad was the AC in the Ram until I got the refreshed Silverado 1500.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
8am, 91 out, ac is too cold so I have to bump it up to 74 so I’m not going to freeze lol

Attachments

• F7944B20-A441-4A42-BC16-FAF1EEB74912.jpeg
    F7944B20-A441-4A42-BC16-FAF1EEB74912.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 44

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
8am, 91 out, ac is too cold so I have to bump it up to 74 so I’m not going to freeze lol
Nice! That's the way my new Ram is. Can't believe how long it took Ram to fix that issue. How's the rest of your Silverado, specifically the seats? The lack of comfort in the last iteration was what crossed them off my list when I was truck shopping.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! That's the way my new Ram is. Can't believe how long it took Ram to fix that issue. How's the rest of your Silverado, specifically the seats? The lack of comfort in the last iteration was what crossed them off my list when I was truck shopping.
It’s a great truck overall. At 10k miles already and never had any issues, unlike my Ram that needed 10 visits to the dealership by the time I hit 10k with it…
Seats and driving experience is definitely superior in the Ram, but I’m okay with what the Silverado has to offer, considering that it’s very nice and has great tech. If you ask me to choose a favorite, Ram makes a nicer truck but in between the Ram that I had and the Silverado, I’d take the Chevy, mainly because the Ram gave me so much trouble… both great trucks and I’ll definitely consider the Ram with new TTI6 hurricane engine when it’s time to get a new truck (next year lol)

flinstigator

Reaction score
Same for me. The TSB helped but in Florida....... it still underperforms and now sometimes I get a slight musty smell after it sits. Probably moisture getting trapped in there somewhere.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same for me. The TSB helped but in Florida....... it still underperforms and now sometimes I get a slight musty smell after it sits. Probably moisture getting trapped in there somewhere.
Same thing happened to mine, I think the heat from the heater core is supposed to keep the moisture at bay. This stink didn't occur until after I did the hack.

Get yourself a can or two of BG Frigi-Fresh from Amazon, it does wonders. In the future turn off your AC a couple minutes before you get to where you're going to blow out the moisture.

flinstigator

Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine, I think the heat from the heater core is supposed to keep the moisture at bay. This stink didn't occur until after I did the hack.

Get yourself a can or two of BG Frigi-Fresh from Amazon, it does wonders. In the future turn off your AC a couple minutes before you get to where you're going to blow out the moisture.

I have been shutting the AC and letting it blow air prior to arriving and that has helped. I will give the BG a try.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I have been shutting the AC and letting it blow air prior to arriving and that has helped. I will give the BG a try.
Good practice! If you do this with your vehicle from day one, you will NEVER have an odor problem…with ANY vehicle. The process you are doing dries out any moisture from the evaporator coil and doesn’t give any microorganisms a chance to create mold! I am 56 years old and have learned this the hard way with several vehicles when I was younger. You may need to perform the recommended BG remedy to kill whatever mold has set in already, but then the process you’re referring to will keep it from returning 👍👍

Users who are viewing this thread