5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

revvr

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 2022 Laramie and was wondering if in the newer models this issue is solved. I'm talking about both the smell and the overall A/C performance.

I find that A/C in my current 2020 Rebel is weak. When it is above 95 degrees outside, it really struggles to cool down the cabin. Sometimes it requires about 15-20 minutes of freeway before a comfortable temp is reached inside. It takes longer if the truck isn't moving. And can take even longer if it was sitting in the sun for a while. All this while being on "MAX A/C" or whatever that setting is called. For reference, my wife's Acadia reaches a comfortable temperature in 3-5 minutes at most, regardless of conditions. It is one of the best A/C systems I've ever seen.

The HVAC is one of the major pain points in my current truck and the leading reason why I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new one. If newer models have solved this, it would be easier to go ahead and buy.

BTW, I took my Rebel to a dealership, pointed out the TSB and reported the musky smell. They took it apart and found mold in one of the parts (can't remember which), but that means I've been blowing mold at my face for a good year and a half... They attempted to address performance issues as well, but I do not notice any significant change.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My co-worker just got a 2022 bighorn. The AC doesn't seem to be much better than mine (i had the TSB done.) I would test drive the 2022 on a hot day to make sure it's working the way you want. 1234yf does not work very well at idle rpms either. It really needs at least 1k rpm to cool down.

I might put my hack back on and see if it helps with this heat wave.

Last edited:

PostPremium

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 2022 Laramie and was wondering if in the newer models this issue is solved. I'm talking about both the smell and the overall A/C performance.

I find that A/C in my current 2020 Rebel is weak. When it is above 95 degrees outside, it really struggles to cool down the cabin. Sometimes it requires about 15-20 minutes of freeway before a comfortable temp is reached inside. It takes longer if the truck isn't moving. And can take even longer if it was sitting in the sun for a while. All this while being on "MAX A/C" or whatever that setting is called. For reference, my wife's Acadia reaches a comfortable temperature in 3-5 minutes at most, regardless of conditions. It is one of the best A/C systems I've ever seen.

The HVAC is one of the major pain points in my current truck and the leading reason why I have not yet pulled the trigger on a new one. If newer models have solved this, it would be easier to go ahead and buy.

BTW, I took my Rebel to a dealership, pointed out the TSB and reported the musky smell. They took it apart and found mold in one of the parts (can't remember which), but that means I've been blowing mold at my face for a good year and a half... They attempted to address performance issues as well, but I do not notice any significant change.
I'm always amazed how people change trucks like they do underwear. Hehe.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hack is back on. I’ll check the temps with it open and closed when it’s 95+ outside. I have the TSB so should be the same.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tested with the hack open and closed, but at night. 80 degrees with 88% humidity. I’ll try to do a day time one, but it’s been raining so I can’t get a good read.

Air vent to the left of center stack:
Hack closed: 45 degrees
Hack open: 46 degrees

I couldn’t get it anywhere near where some of you are, almost 40. Not sure if I’m low on refrigerant or if it’s just my thermometer.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
WHAT I use besides having the TSB done. I only do the clamp hack if temps gonna stay above 100 degrees. I keep this tub in the truck in center console, pulls a lot of the moisture out of the air. I use the refillable ones, does real well.

rid.JPG

GMetal

Reaction score
My 2022 Lonestar has great AC. Here in Central Texas 104 degrees out it cools down the truck fine. I usually let it remote start for 5 minutes before hopping in. I also have front window UV film clear tint on the truck and the windows tinted. The roof is warm being a dark grey truck but I end up having to turn the AC down after a bit of driving.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
My 2022 Lonestar has great AC. Here in Central Texas 104 degrees out it cools down the truck fine. I usually let it remote start for 5 minutes before hopping in. I also have front window UV film clear tint on the truck and the windows tinted. The roof is warm being a dark grey truck but I end up having to turn the AC down after a bit of driving.
Be happy, LOL...

revvr

Reaction score
Update. I solved the HVAC issue.

It was 112 degrees today and I got fed up. Bought a Sierra Denali. Now I have ice cold A/C on command and the truck cools down in 5 minutes flat, like the wife's Acadia.

I really liked my RAM Rebel, but this HVAC thing was driving me crazy. Took it to the dealership twice. One time they said they couldn't do the TSB, another time they said they fixed it but it wasn't fixed and I can't invest more time in figuring this out nor have the desire to be clamping down hoses on $65K trucks. I don't understand how FCA could get this so wrong...

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It was 112 degrees today and I got fed up. Bought a Sierra Denali. Now I have ice cold A/C on command and the truck cools down in 5 minutes flat, like the wife's Acadia.

I really liked my RAM Rebel, but this HVAC thing was driving me crazy. Took it to the dealership twice. One time they said they couldn't do the TSB, another time they said they fixed it but it wasn't fixed and I can't invest more time in figuring this out nor have the desire to be clamping down hoses on $65K trucks. I don't understand how FCA could get this so wrong...
That is certainly the full on nuclear way to resolve it! ☠️ I guess it depends on what bugs you the most. It is stupid that Ram let this happen in the first place.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let y’all know I checked my temps during the hottest of days and it’s about the same with the hack open or closed. Gets down to the mid 40’s after about 10 min of driving.

Outside temp 95
Truck dash temp 106

I do wish the blower was a little stronger. Not sure if that’s something anyone was able to do.

GMetal

Reaction score
Is the problem the blend door isn't sealing and allowing the heater core to put hot air into the air stream? What do the AC gauges pressures look like when its not cooling properly? I had a problem with my BMW where the temps were great below 80 but anything above it was just warm air. Turns out the pressures were off because someone(me) put the wrong viscosity oil in the compressor. Drained out the oil and refilled and its ice cold even when its over 100 with humidity. Seems weird a global company like FCA is struggling with this in any way. This isn't rocket surgery. AC systems are simple. I've seen what it takes to get the AC box out and its buried under the dash so I can see techs not wanting to deal with that other than simple fixes.
On another note, The AC system function while in remote start is weird. I couldnt find any info in the manual how to set it. One day I remote started the truck and the screen said climate off. I hit the button and turned it on and the AC blew hard ands cold without having to hit the start button. Truck was still in remote start mode. When its hot out I always remote start so the cooling down process begins before I get in. Am I missing some setting?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The TSB fixes the blend door problem for 2019-20. I’ve had that done and now it works properly. Not sure if it should blow colder or not since it’s so hot and humid here.

revvr

Reaction score
That is certainly the full on nuclear way to resolve it! ☠️ I guess it depends on what bugs you the most. It is stupid that Ram let this happen in the first place.
I think that the aggravating factor here is that this is not new technology. We're not talking about Tesla's Sutopilot running over bicycles. A/C has been standard in cars for maybe 20 years. I don't understand how they messed this up.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think that the aggravating factor here is that this is not new technology. We're not talking about Tesla's Sutopilot running over bicycles. A/C has been standard in cars for maybe 20 years. I don't understand how they messed this up.
Agreed. Should be the last thing the screw up. Quality control really dropped the ball

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is the problem the blend door isn't sealing and allowing the heater core to put hot air into the air stream? What do the AC gauges pressures look like when its not cooling properly? I had a problem with my BMW where the temps were great below 80 but anything above it was just warm air. Turns out the pressures were off because someone(me) put the wrong viscosity oil in the compressor. Drained out the oil and refilled and its ice cold even when its over 100 with humidity. Seems weird a global company like FCA is struggling with this in any way. This isn't rocket surgery. AC systems are simple. I've seen what it takes to get the AC box out and its buried under the dash so I can see techs not wanting to deal with that other than simple fixes.
On another note, The AC system function while in remote start is weird. I couldnt find any info in the manual how to set it. One day I remote started the truck and the screen said climate off. I hit the button and turned it on and the AC blew hard ands cold without having to hit the start button. Truck was still in remote start mode. When its hot out I always remote start so the cooling down process begins before I get in. Am I missing some setting?
No disrespect intended, have you read these pages in the owners manual? If I set mine to "Auto" it adjusts itself meet the last temp I set. If I don't have "Auto" turned on, it seems like it sets itself to counter the outside temp if it is hot out, or doesn't kick on at all if the outside temp is moderate.

1662245424848.png
1662245527170.png

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I looked at the Sierra, wife really likes them. Hardly any in-stock around here, and new GM orders were deleting the cooled seats and issuing a credit to get them installed later - non starter for me for multiple reasons. Anyway, the A/C on my 22 GT functions heads-and-tails above the A/C the my 20 Big Horn had.

Congrats though on finding a new truck that suits you!

GMetal

Reaction score
No disrespect intended, have you read these pages in the owners manual? If I set mine to "Auto" it adjusts itself meet the last temp I set. If I don't have "Auto" turned on, it seems like it sets itself to counter the outside temp if it is hot out, or doesn't kick on at all if the outside temp is moderate.

View attachment 138406
View attachment 138407
I missed the part on AC. Says steering wheel and seats. The ambient temp over 78 defaults to max AC but it doesn't. Maybe my truck has an issue.

revvr

Reaction score
I looked at the Sierra, wife really likes them. Hardly any in-stock around here, and new GM orders were deleting the cooled seats and issuing a credit to get them installed later - non starter for me for multiple reasons. Anyway, the A/C on my 22 GT functions heads-and-tails above the A/C the my 20 Big Horn had.

Congrats though on finding a new truck that suits you!
Thanks. I don't know how, but I found a Sierra that was built closely to what I would have wanted and at MSRP. I also emailed with salesmen that were straight forward. Drove 80 miles and pulled the trigger on the spot. I also got what I wanted for the RAM. The only thing that needs to get retrofitted is parking sensors. Everything else is operable.

Initial impression is good. I like this Duramax engine to be honest and I'm getting MPG that is difficult to believe on a full size truck. I got adaptive cruise control back (don't know why RAM doesn't do them), camera mirror, HUD, and a refined interior. I will say that that the RAM's interior seems to have better quality materials and nobody beats RAM in ride quality, with or without air ride. RAM's back seat seems bigger as well, but I have not measured. Both are great trucks, but one can cool down instantly and the other cannot.

Users who are viewing this thread