5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't know how, but I found a Sierra that was built closely to what I would have wanted and at MSRP. I also emailed with salesmen that were straight forward. Drove 80 miles and pulled the trigger on the spot. I also got what I wanted for the RAM. The only thing that needs to get retrofitted is parking sensors. Everything else is operable.

Initial impression is good. I like this Duramax engine to be honest and I'm getting MPG that is difficult to believe on a full size truck. I got adaptive cruise control back (don't know why RAM doesn't do them), camera mirror, HUD, and a refined interior. I will say that that the RAM's interior seems to have better quality materials and nobody beats RAM in ride quality, with or without air ride. RAM's back seat seems bigger as well, but I have not measured. Both are great trucks, but one can cool down instantly and the other cannot.
DO NOT BLAME U on the AC. it is a bugger for me, I just not want to go and trade and have a Vehicle Payment again. Plus, my RAM is a driveway princess, saving grace I guess. If I could go and get 1 for 1, well, that be different.

Csjumper2003

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve had my truck for about a year and a half. The ac gets cold. *** gets cold with the seat coolers, but have noticed the fan speed seems to not be as strong as when I got it. She only has 13000 miles on her now. I have tinted the front window with ceramic and that helps, but wondering is there a better option to get this fan spinning harder?

I tried to read a lot of these posts but seems there was a lot of emotions that I started skipping over.

I have replaced the cabin filter as well.

I do understand about gmc as my 15 sierra blew great but they can’t figure how to keep a tranny together and functioning.

Love the truck just trying to understand if there is something I should really be looking at to get the most out of this ac

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve had my truck for about a year and a half. The ac gets cold. *** gets cold with the seat coolers, but have noticed the fan speed seems to not be as strong as when I got it. She only has 13000 miles on her now. I have tinted the front window with ceramic and that helps, but wondering is there a better option to get this fan spinning harder?

I tried to read a lot of these posts but seems there was a lot of emotions that I started skipping over.

I have replaced the cabin filter as well.

I do understand about gmc as my 15 sierra blew great but they can’t figure how to keep a tranny together and functioning.

Love the truck just trying to understand if there is something I should really be looking at to get the most out of this ac
The blower on these rams is not nearly as strong as other vehicles. Make sure your cabin filter isn’t too thick, like a hepa filter, that will slow down the air. You could always remove the filter to test with and without to compare.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The blower on these rams is not nearly as strong as other vehicles. Make sure your cabin filter isn’t too thick, like a hepa filter, that will slow down the air. You could always remove the filter to test with and without to compare.
Or switch it to recirculate because cabin air filter only filters outside air, not inside air.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really I didn’t know that. I thought it was for all air. I never take it off recirculating
Unless I'm in an area where I know it smells outside, I just keep mine in "auto". I have zero issues with heater or A/C in my truck

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thankfully, my A/C has cooled great even with all of the triple digit temps we've been having every day.
Here too. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes to be comfortable after my truck sits in the sun all day.

GMetal

Reaction score
Here in Texas with a dark colored truck I went ahead and bought the weathertech window covers for the side and rear windows. I have the good ceramic UV tint all around but the inside still gets hot. With the covers on the inside of the windows the interior isnt as hot and cools down quicker. I walk around and get them all installed every morning but when the truck sits in the sun all day its worth it at the end of the day.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here in Texas with a dark colored truck I went ahead and bought the weathertech window covers for the side and rear windows. I have the good ceramic UV tint all around but the inside still gets hot. With the covers on the inside of the windows the interior isnt as hot and cools down quicker. I walk around and get them all installed every morning but when the truck sits in the sun all day its worth it at the end of the day.
That's when it's nice to have the sunroof where you can vent it and let the heat out

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It prob doesn’t matter too much what u do, if it’s sitting in the hot sun for 8+ hours it’s gonna be hot as hell in there.

GMetal

Reaction score
It prob doesn’t matter too much what u do, if it’s sitting in the hot sun for 8+ hours it’s gonna be hot as hell in there.
Its not nearly that bad with the window covers. The main difference I think is the interior parts arent as hot so it cools down faster. If I remote start the truck its very comfortable inside by the time I get in.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heat transfers via conduction, convection, and radiation.
The reflective window covers help with one...radiation. Since you can't really do anything about the conduction and convection, cutting down on the radiation is helpful.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Heat transfers via conduction, convection, and radiation.
The reflective window covers help with one...radiation. Since you can't really do anything about the conduction and convection, cutting down on the radiation is helpful.
like i said, still gonna be hot as hell ;)

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie has good AC. But...I wonder.

My '03 Honda Pilot has a coolant shutoff valve, electric, slaved to the climate control. If I want heat, it's open and fills the heater core with hot coolant. With the AC on, that valve closes, and keeps the hot coolant out of my air box.

I would LOVE to retrofit a similar valve onto my truck. I'd want it slaved in to the climate control. Barring that, I could wire it into a spare switch on my center console I guess.

Hmmm....

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was just looking at valves for that very purpose

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe use a 12v signal from the AC compressor to trigger the valve
I think the compressor still runs with the heater on tho, for defrost maybe? If so you’ll never get heat on the windshield

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the compressor still runs with the heater on tho, for defrost maybe? If so you’ll never get heat on the windshield
That's true, a dedicated switch would probably be the best bet

Users who are viewing this thread