5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

KcRay

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone posted this before (34 pages is too long to search through), but I noticed my AC is sub par when in manual ac or max ac, but if I switch it to Auto it feels colder. Only thing I don't like about Auto is that the fan is in full speed for a little while until it gets down to temp. I have yet to get a thermometer out to see what the temps are, but it feels cooler on my hand when in Auto. I'll try to do some actual testing soon.

Anyone else notice theirs feels colder when in Auto?
Yes auto on, ramps up your blower fan to a secret 8th fan speed setting, and speeds up your engine fan as well. I can get 40 degrees blowing with auto at 90+ outside, and 42-44 degrees blowing non auto, (with AC hack).

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we wanted to touch base to provide an update on this concern from our end. Please know that this is still on our radar as we are working diligently to make sure both your concerns and findings are heard. As of now, we have a new part in development. However, due to COVID restrictions, production has been delayed. We anticipate to have a resolution for this soon, and will be sure to keep you updated as we know more.

-RamCares
Can you please share what "part" is being revised to "fix" this issue that many appear to be facing? That may give us all a bit of insight as to the systemic issues origin.

Thank you!

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone, we wanted to touch base to provide an update on this concern from our end. Please know that this is still on our radar as we are working diligently to make sure both your concerns and findings are heard. As of now, we have a new part in development. However, due to COVID restrictions, production has been delayed. We anticipate to have a resolution for this soon, and will be sure to keep you updated as we know more.

-RamCares
Consider me impressed if this comes to fruition...Geaux RAM!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
At the very least, it's an acknowledgement that we aren't losing our minds and there really are some problem trucks :)

If they do come out with a new part, I wonder how many folks in the "ice cold" camp will request it. Should be interesting.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

-RamCares
(A) After two years of customer complaints with data, and multiple 30-page forum threads on the topic, it's about damn time.
(B) For Ram's sake, this had better NOT be blowing smoke up our a$$e$, it had BETTER BE A GENUINELY EFFECTIVE ENGINEERED SOLUTION.
(C) After it's fixed, Ram owes it's customers here on 5thgenrams.com a formal apology and a genuine mea culpa. Maybe even a free oil change as a bit of acknowledgement & customer goodwill.
I'm a strident supporter of Ram, but after the past two years with this issue going unresolved, you've waaay tested my loyalty. I hope to heaven Ram gets it right this time.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the very least, it's an acknowledgement that we aren't losing our minds and there really are some problem trucks :)

If they do come out with a new part, I wonder how many folks in the "ice cold" camp will request it. Should be interesting.
I'm in the adequate/fine camp but will welcome any increase in performance to a machine I own, a/c, or otherwise.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

I will because colder is better ;)

KcRay

Reaction score
If the new part involves opening up, or tearing apart the dash, count me out!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the new part involves opening up, or tearing apart the dash, count me out!
AMEN to that! Not worth taking the chance of getting rattles and damaging the truck because the grease monkeys don't care about your truck:oops:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not a small guy and very sensitive to heat, drove my truck a few days ago in 100F and no issues. Once it gets up to temp, its comfortable, just takes longer to get there than my earlier vehicles.

But my most recent vehicles, cars/trucks made within the last 5-7 years all seem to be this way. My 2015 F150 had similar A/C, slow to get cold, but nice once it got there. My older vehicles get ice cold quicker I've noticed.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve noticed recently when I have my fan set on 6 or 7 I hear a humming noise from the engine compartment in front of the glove box like the ac fan is working overtime. As soon as my speed hits 40 mph the noise goes away and the ac blows a little harder and colder. Drop below 40 mph the noise comes back. So as long as I’m cruising 40 mph+ ac works great. I know air flow is going to help the ac system, but I’ve never noticed any other vehicle be speed dependent like that. Is that normal?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed recently when I have my fan set on 6 or 7 I hear a humming noise from the engine compartment in front of the glove box like the ac fan is working overtime. As soon as my speed hits 40 mph the noise goes away and the ac blows a little harder and colder. Drop below 40 mph the noise comes back. So as long as I’m cruising 40 mph+ ac works great. I know air flow is going to help the ac system, but I’ve never noticed any other vehicle be speed dependent like that. Is that normal?
Never noticed this and I've had my truck for over a year

KcRay

Reaction score
The engine fan can really get going on these Rams and It seems the more you push the AC, the faster it goes, (by design). Could you be hearing that? If not, it could be a noisy blower motor, going bad.

ac1dd

Reaction score
Dealer admitted many customers have same complaint, had the software flash but did not help.

It's refreshing to see that at least some dealers are being up front and not trying to blow it up customers
behinds on this problem.

Now if FCA actually comes up with a real solution that actually is effective, and I've got news for them, if the ambient temp is 95 F and humidity is 50% and the vehicle cannot give an outlet temp of about 43-45 F then it isn't good enough.

snj1013

Reaction score
So I finally got around to measuring the vent temp on my 2019 Ram. With ambient temps in the low 90s, I measured a vent temperature of 51 degrees. I'm due for an oil change and need to have a couple of items fixed, such as the upper glove box door light always staying on, so I'll bring this issue up to my Service Advisor and see what their response is before making the modification.

mick-not-jager

Reaction score
Just installed the clamp today and noticed a much faster cool down time. Since temps have gone up this month, I have had to put the AC in recirculation mode to make the cabin comfortable. After installing the clamp no need for recirculation mode to cool the cabin.

Hogzfan

Reaction score
One week old Ram 1500 Ecodiesel here. My a/c is a problem like all the others mentioned. I noticed it at the dealership at pickup, and they checked the pressure and temps. They said it was within spec. But I have a been measuring the temps, and they fluctuate between 43-58, mostly hovering around 53-55 with it being 85 outside (high humidity). I ordered a temp recorder with logging capability for $36 on Amazon. I will keep up with it for a week or so and go from there.

Attachments

• Polish_20200702_201651574.jpg
    Polish_20200702_201651574.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Polish_20200702_202408547.jpg
    Polish_20200702_202408547.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Polish_20200702_202844208.jpg
    Polish_20200702_202844208.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 54

PostPremium

Reaction score
This is the one issue that has stopped me from making my new truck purchase. I live in triple digit, high humidity summers. Test drove a 2020 when it was only in the 90s outside and the AC did not cut it. If they get this issue fixed, I go to the dealer the next day and make my purchase.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All,

I wanted to know how you're A/C is working. I feel mine does not get completely cold all the time. My old 14 blew very cold air.
Much better than my F-150 was. Was 104 degrees here in Vegas today, took blowing the A/C for a few minutes before it got cold. I wouldn't say it's ICE cold ..but cold enough for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread