5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
I was told by a service tech at a Dodge dealership yesterday that they expect a recall on several 2019 Dodge Ram 1500s because of inadequate AC. We shall see I guess......

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
I hope you are right Bobcat4956 about the recalls, but I was just told today by my case manager for the second time that the AC is designed to have a temperature difference between the drivers and passengers side vents. Kind of hard to believe, but she said she talked to corporate and engineering. Think this is code for they are washing their hands of the situation. Like in my previous post the PCM update did help, but I did notice this week the AC still under performs when I leave the car heat up in a parking lot type of situation (compared to other vehicles I have had in the past). The guys that clamped their hoses will probably be clamping for a long time coming. I plan of taking mine on a road trip in two weeks. If the kids fight in the back, I will have to have them take turns crawling under the hood and clamping the hose with their teeth. That will teach them not to fight. lol.

greatone99

Reaction score
I hope you are right Bobcat4956 about the recalls, but I was just told today by my case manager for the second time that the AC is designed to have a temperature difference between the drivers and passengers side vents. Kind of hard to believe, but she said she talked to corporate and engineering. Think this is code for they are washing their hands of the situation. Like in my previous post the PCM update did help, but I did notice this week the AC still under performs when I leave the car heat up in a parking lot type of situation (compared to other vehicles I have had in the past). The guys that clamped their hoses will probably be clamping for a long time coming. I plan of taking mine on a road trip in two weeks. If the kids fight in the back, I will have to have them take turns crawling under the hood and clamping the hose with their teeth. That will teach them not to fight. lol.
ac colder on one side is not right, sounds like a non flooded coil . I have an 2019 nov 18 built ram rebel and my ac is to cold sometimes .

ac1dd

Reaction score
ac colder on one side is not right, sounds like a non flooded coil . I have an 2019 nov 18 built ram rebel and my ac is to cold sometimes .
This IS possible when a system isn't charged fully it can show this symptom, however some here are saying once they clamp off the heater core temps average the same and much lower temps at both center vents.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
T
This IS possible when a system isn't charged fully it can show this symptom, however some here are saying once they clamp off the heater core temps average the same and much lower temps at both center vents.

That’s correct. Mine with the valve closed I get 45 and 43 driver to pass side center vents in 90+ deg temps . If I didn’t have the valve in place one would absolutely think it’s low on Freon but that’s a direct reflection of warm heater core air blending with cold AC air as a result of the blend door for warm air not closing.

technicholas

Reaction score
Forums are the first place owners with issues go. So I felt a significant percentage of owners with a/c issues are on here. Which numbers maybe 50 (high) then I quadrupled that number for my percentage guesstimate. My dealership in the middle of Florida still isn't seeing owners showing up with a/c problems when I was in just before heading north. Then when I had my airbag recall completed at a dealership in Michigan, I asked the service writer up here if they are getting a lot of a/c complaints. Answer.....nope. The dealership in Florida I'm on a first name basis because I've used the same writer for a while now with my Ram and Jeep. The guy up here didn't know me from Adam. Why do I ask about it? Just because of the big thread on here and I want to see if I'm out in left field or not. I don't think I am.
Mine is so bad the other day when it was 100 degrees I had to drive several miles to get cold air.

KMAN1964

Reaction score
Thanks, after reading the posts and threads I understand the function and problem much more than before joining the forum. Kind of new to the forum format. Glad I joined however.
Like everyone else, I’m frustrated and find it difficult to be excited over my truck.
I actually am pursuing a buy back or lemon law. Got a case manager today. We will see

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
Unless there is an acknowledgement and ultimate fix, you are probably going to see a class action lawsuit. This is unacceptable given the price, etc. of these vehicles!!!!!

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless there is an acknowledgement and ultimate fix, you are probably going to see a class action lawsuit. This is unacceptable given the price, etc. of these vehicles!!!!!

It is so pathetic to buy a $50k-$70k Truck and then have to go to Napa or Autozone and butcher your cooling system with cheap parts just have air conditioning cold enough to make you comfortable in the cab. ‍(n)

ac1dd

Reaction score
It is so pathetic to buy a $50k-$70k Truck and then have to go to Napa or Autozone and butcher your cooling system with cheap parts just have air conditioning cold enough to make you comfortable in the cab. ‍(n)
Indeed and the fact hat Chrysler/RAM isn't willing to be forthcoming about this huge issue is really telling about the integrity of the company. They've lost a lot of potential customers because the consumers ARE reading these posts.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA is trying to wiggle their way out of this situation, that's one of the most asinine responses I have every heard. We cool the air to 45 then reheat it to 55 for the drivers side only, we have designed this truck to use fuel to turn a compressor to cool the air only to reheat it afterwards... because F#$K CAFE standards we do what we want.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My AC works fine. Had it on some pretty hot days and it's ok. The temps coming out aren't freezing cold but by no means does it struggle to keep the truck cold.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
My AC works fine. Had it on some pretty hot days and it's ok. The temps coming out aren't freezing cold but by no means does it struggle to keep the truck cold.
Vent temps would help.

MTerkait

Reaction score
I hope they recall.. even driving at 85mph the AC isn't really flowing any good at 7/7. it's over 120*F :cry::cry:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope they recall.. even driving at 85mph the AC isn't really flowing any good at 7/7. it's over 120*F :cry::cry:
You should definitely try shutting off flow to the heater as discussed on many threads here or have a knowledgeable mechanic check your system. Which model truck do you have? Do you have the 12 inch screen?

greatone99

Reaction score
There is def something wrong with the rams ac , my 2019 rebel which I thought worked fine ,till I traded it in for a raptor , my new truck I need to cut it down it gets so cold ,Where is the Ram seem like it was on full blast all the time just to keep up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flot

Reaction score
I started the other A/C performance thread a year ago - finally I had a dealer who claims to have vacuumed and recharged my A/C, plus swapped out the blower motor and fan assembly - and now I have completely reasonable performance on hot days. Not "best car I ever owned" cold but I can run errands in hot sun and not feel like I'm going to die.

Users who are viewing this thread