5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

alangsam

Reaction score
An A/C issue has something to do with the 12.1" radio screen??? You smoking weed my friend?

I have the 12.1 and my build date was 11/28. I live in FL and today it is in the mid-80's. The A/C is blowing SUPER COLD air so not issues here.

I live in south florida as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An A/C issue has something to do with the 12.1" radio screen??? You smoking weed my friend?

I have the 12.1 and my build date was 11/28. I live in FL and today it is in the mid-80's. The A/C is blowing SUPER COLD air so not issues here.

I am referring to the update that is applicable for these build dates not being applicable to units with the 12.1 radio. The A/C complaints are well documented on this forum and don’t apply to your build date.

c_attle

Reaction score

I live in south Louisiana and mine does not blow as cold as it should. I’m not sure if it’s necessarily a “12” radio” issue but more so a software problem that needs an update. I agree with the others that this is well documented on this forum. Too many having issues not to be addressed.

Last edited:

mtehonica

Reaction score
Took mine in Friday for the various recalls and the A/C TSB. Can't remember my build date but it like April/May of last year. They said TSB wasn't applicable but did agree the A/C wasn't working properly. They evacuated/recharged the refrigerant and said it was slightly overcharged. Ended up with read a reading of 42* on the passenger side and 52* on the driver side. They think it might be a solenoid issue in one of the vents and need to get into the dash to find out. Really not excited about them having to rip the dash apart :(

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took mine in Friday for the various recalls and the A/C TSB. Can't remember my build date but it like April/May of last year. They said TSB wasn't applicable but did agree the A/C wasn't working properly. They evacuated/recharged the refrigerant and said it was slightly overcharged. Ended up with read a reading of 42* on the passenger side and 52* on the driver side. They think it might be a solenoid issue in one of the vents and need to get into the dash to find out. Really not excited about them having to rip the dash apart :(

That’s what others are reporting also with the vent differences and I have heard because of it being farther away and the heat from the electronics the way it’s piped. Just what was speculated here.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Did they add refrigerant? If so did that fix the problem?

Yeah they added it and got me running. Was fine while I was there for the week. Keeping an eye on it here as it warms up.

KcRay

Reaction score
Am going to do an experiment on my AC. Going to block off the heater core completely, so that no hot water passes into the HVAC system. Very simple procedure, simply install shut off valve inline in the heater hose going from water pump to the heater core. I found my AC not performing as It really should. 78 degrees in KC yesterday 101 inside the truck at the end of the day(wow black interior). 16 mile drive home 12 of it on interstate. 42-44 on the passenger side 50-54 on drivers side was as cold as I could get it. This must be a blend door/ controll valve issue.
Whether it's a design flaw or a malfunction, I really believe that hot air that comes from the heater core is getting into the HVAC system when we ( by the controls) are asking it not to. Screenshot_20190409-120855_Chrome.jpg 20190409_123711.jpg 20190409_123823.jpg Hell if I'm going to have my dash torn apart. These shut off valves are very common, every big rig I have driven had one. Every summer you shut them off to make your AC cold cold cold. I'll keep ya'll updated

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am going to do an experiment on my AC. Going to block off the heater core completely, so that no hot water passes into the HVAC system. Very simple procedure, simply install shut off valve inline in the heater hose going from water pump to the heater core. I found my AC not performing as It really should. 78 degrees in KC yesterday 101 inside the truck at the end of the day(wow black interior). 16 mile drive home 12 of it on interstate. 42-44 on the passenger side 50-54 on drivers side was as cold as I could get it. This must be a blend door/ controll valve issue.
Whether it's a design flaw or a malfunction, I really believe that hot air that comes from the heater core is getting into the HVAC system when we ( by the controls) are asking it not to. View attachment 21747 View attachment 21748 View attachment 21749 Hell if I'm going to have my dash torn apart. These shut off valves are very common, every big rig I have driven had one. Every summer you shut them off to make your AC cold cold cold. I'll keep ya'll updated

Outstanding, KcRay. Let us know the results.

I have an old school refrigeration thermometer that I've kept stuck in every vehicle AC vent for 30 years. I have it in the driver's vent to the left of the 12" inch screen and the cold air want get below about 50 degrees out of that vent. I need to check the passenger vent I guess. My 2015 Mustang will easily blow 42 degrees out of the vents even on the hottest of Central Texas days. I love cold AC. :)

KcRay

Reaction score
Whether it's a design flaw or a malfunction, I really believe that hot air that comes from the heater core is getting into the HVAC system when we ( by the controls) are asking it not to. View attachment 21747 View attachment 21748 View attachment 21749 Hell if I'm going to have my dash torn apart. These shut off valves are very common, every big rig I have driven had one. Every summer you shut them off to make your AC cold cold cold. I'll keep ya'll updated
Was pointing to the wrong hose, it's the one that says "out" right on it, meaning "out of the water pump" 20190409_211613.jpg 20190409_210937.jpg

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
I do not have the 12.1 screen, but my air does not blow as cold as my 2018 Dodge Ram 1500. It was 91 degrees in Dallas today and without the very expensive and effective window tint on my vehicle, I'm afraid of what it would be. VERY concerned about this summer. This should not be happening with this expensive of a vehicle. Should I take it in now??? Are the updates that would make it blow colder??? Suggestions??? Thank you...

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I haven't fully had the opportunity to test my A/C yet living in Iowa, but it was 80* on Saturday and I tried it out. I put it on LO, A/C on, fan blowing on 3 and it never felt cold like it did in my previous vehicle (2003 Suburban 2500). I will wait to pass judgment until we get an 85*+ day though.

In the summer months I always put the temp down to the lowest setting and very rarely increase it. I never use AUTO in any of my vehicles either but if that seems to make the A/C blow colder in these trucks I would be willing to try that.

I noticed others mention a "whooshing" sound coming from the passenger side. I noticed this in the winter months when messing with the recirculation button or by simply turning the system off. It would make the noise louder then get quieter when I did one of these.

I also noticed that when on just the floor setting, I get just as much air coming out of the defrost vents too. To me that doesn't seem right at all so I had the dealer look at that when I took the truck in this week for other various things. They took my dash completely apart (yay) and said they could not find out the issue. They then checked a few new trucks that just came off the truck and they do the exact same thing. I've never had a vehicle do this.

Hopefully my A/C doesn't give me any issues when it gets warmer though.

c_attle

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update from my service check at dealership for poor ac performance. All mechanical actuators checked out and no codes existed so everything was working fine. They did measure amount of Freon and my truck was 30 grams low. Service advisor said the 2019 should have 510 grams of Freon and when measured I was at 480 grams.

alangsam

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update from my service check at dealership for poor ac performance. All mechanical actuators checked out and no codes existed so everything was working fine. They did measure amount of Freon and my truck was 30 grams low. Service advisor said the 2019 should have 510 grams of Freon and when measured I was at 480 grams.

Are they adding Freon? When they do can you tell us if it makes the system blow colder ?

c_attle

Reaction score
They did add Freon. 30 grams to get it to the required 510. It seemed to be a noticeable difference when leaving the dealership but I only live 2 miles away so not much time yet plus the temp today isn’t very warm here. Will update again in a few days.

c_attle

Reaction score
Update: the refrigerant being added def seemed to help. It was blowing much colder yesterday than it ever has.

mtehonica

Reaction score

Did you get around to trying this? Interested to hear if it makes a difference.

mtehonica

Reaction score
124b8a2af91f84e6a0f51b9dfeca743b.jpg

Here is the summary from the tech that worked on mine. Definitely not about to have my dash torn apart for no reason.

alangsam

Reaction score
124b8a2af91f84e6a0f51b9dfeca743b.jpg

Here is the summary from the tech that worked on mine. Definitely not about to have my dash torn apart for no reason.

Let us know what transpires here. It’s about to get warm/hot across the country so hopeful fca will get a grip on these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread