5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

sgk

Reaction score
A Longhorn or Limited :D Ok the truth is I don't know but probably a very good audio shop and lots of $$$

But welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will get better options than what i suggested. It would help if you let us know what you have purchased and what you're looking for as a result. Is it just a larger screen your after? (more details the better)

Biggziggie

Reaction score
My new 2019 Laramie has the 8.4 navigation. I want to swap with navigation with this new 12 inch screen that i bought off of craigslist. I unscrewed the 8.4 inch navigation, and plugged in the new 12 inch navigation.. (all the original plugs, fit right into the new navigation... besides one....)

The screen doesnt come on, but everything else lights up. The parking sensor switches work as well. But the SCREEN doesnt turn on. Any suggestions... please lol

T_Strey5

Reaction score
My new 2019 Laramie has the 8.4 navigation. I want to swap with navigation with this new 12 inch screen that i bought off of craigslist. I unscrewed the 8.4 inch navigation, and plugged in the new 12 inch navigation.. (all the original plugs, fit right into the new navigation... besides one....)

The screen doesnt come on, but everything else lights up. The parking sensor switches work as well. But the SCREEN doesnt turn on. Any suggestions... please lol
I’m no help, but VERY interested to see if you get it to work. The only think I want in the Laramie “level 2” package is the 12” screen. Was hoping a swap would be possible like on the 4th gen’s 3.5” for 8.4”. Will be watching this closely before ordering :)

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Silly questions but Did you see the screen working before you bought it?

Biggziggie

Reaction score
Silly questions but Did you see the screen working before you bought it?
No i didnt see if it was working. But im pretty sure the last plug that i couldnt plug into the 12 inch navigation is the reason for it not turning on. But everything else has turned on.

Biggziggie

Reaction score
I’m no help, but VERY interested to see if you get it to work. The only think I want in the Laramie “level 2” package is the 12” screen. Was hoping a swap would be possible like on the 4th gen’s 3.5” for 8.4”. Will be watching this closely before ordering :)
Im praying it could work!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that it is possible. It is just a matter of figuring out how. Also, radios on the 4th gens were locked by vin and would not work without the proper programming. This is a mod I will be looking at doing in the future.

Biggziggie

Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that it is possible. It is just a matter of figuring out how. Also, radios on the 4th gens were locked by vin and would not work without the proper programming. This is a mod I will be looking at doing in the future.
I just need help in New York City to install this thing!

sgk

Reaction score
another silly question any idea what the seller is swapping out his 12" screen with? Im just as curious to know what they're doing as if your's will work.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the module for the 12 inch is a completely different part number from the 8.4, it seems unlikely they are shared considering the functionality and ui is different. Not saying the swap is impossible just not as simple as getting the bigger screen and bolting it in. Not sure about ram as this is my first, but I know on the last gen GM trucks the radio/nav consisted of 3 modules and the screen itself. The screen is merely the user interface, the processor and software is in an HMI located behind the glovebox, I would imagine the ram is a similar setup

Biggziggie

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the module for the 12 inch is a completely different part number from the 8.4, it seems unlikely they are shared considering the functionality and ui is different. Not saying the swap is impossible just not as simple as getting the bigger screen and bolting it in. Not sure about ram as this is my first, but I know on the last gen GM trucks the radio/nav consisted of 3 modules and the screen itself. The screen is merely the user interface, the processor and software is in an HMI located behind the glovebox, I would imagine the ram is a similar setup
You know your stuff! Appreciate the information!

Biggziggie

Reaction score
another silly question any idea what the seller is swapping out his 12" screen with? Im just as curious to know what they're doing as if your's will work.
I ask no questions as to what he is doing with his

RamRebel19

Reaction score
Anyone did this yet? I can get a screen with the trim at a pretty good price, just wondering what kind of problems I'm going to encounter. Does it need to be flashed by the dealer? Will they even do that since I'm not getting the unit from them? I've seen pics of the removal of the screen and trim and it looks pretty simple and straight forward.

Nervous about it as I've seen someone talking about the Uconnect stuff possibly being VIN locked.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a recent thread if you are able to hunt it down, someone swapped and can’t get the screen to turn on.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know sometimes it can sound like a broken record, but searching for a thread already created on your topic really helps us all collect information in centrally located and easy to find places - your request would have fit perfectly with the other thread. Our great forum info ends up scattered all over the place otherwise. (y) I don’t mean to pick on you @RamRebel19 , it’s just a reminder to anyone willing to listen for the overall betterment of the site.

To your topic, the other member found an extra harness may be needed, and it is very likely the vehicle needs to be updated at the dealership. No one has done this yet, so there will need to some brave pioneers in that area breaking new ground.

RamRebel19

Reaction score
I read that other thread and he had mentioned that he hadn't seen the original unit actually power up and wasn't sure what his issue was. I created a separate thread from that one to ask my question from a wiring/software point. Does anyone know if these newer trucks have their stuff "VIN locked?" Is it plug and play? As far as it looks, the plugs look very similar if they aren't the same... I've done stereo installation and have a lot of experience with wiring and such.

Users who are viewing this thread