5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Gottabdxheese

Reaction score
I do believe that I might end up with an extra multi media module. I thought it was luck of the draw with the one I had before. Then I had the email I'd been waiting weeks for saying one of the previous ones I'd been waiting on came through also. Part number in photo for cross referencing..... I should have it by the end of next week. It's UCX for those who are going to ask
I’m just starting to look into this upgrade from my 8.4 non nav to that 12.1. This module you might have extra, that’s for the 12.1? I don’t know what UCX is, just yet.

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
I’m just starting to look into this upgrade from my 8.4 non nav to that 12.1. This module you might have extra, that’s for the 12.1? I don’t know what UCX is, just yet.

UCX is the Canadian module. It won't be compatible with Guardianbut that's the only difference as I've been told. I'm sure someone will correct if I've been wrongly informed

spike2c

Reaction score
8.4 non nav to 12.1​

1. you will need to acquire a android device, an app called alphaobd, a Bluetooth obdlink Mx, and a security gateway bypass module from infotainment. Also need part # 68082364AC.

2. you will need bezel, screen and module. Pm if you would like a package deal.

3. there is a good youtube video on removing 8.4 and installing 12 inch. (for installation instruction only) Not for programming. Stop watching at 3 minutes 22 seconds because the rest is useless unless you spend 4k on there 12 inch

4. rewire the 8 pin plug that will plug into back of new 12 inch unit.

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Install 12.1 in dash. Using all existing plugs. And the Jumper wire ( # 68082364AC will plug into module and then to the back of 12.1

5.you need to install security bypass module. If you have a 2500 it is located behind instrument cluster.

After cluster is remove there is a black box with 2 plugs. Unplug them and plug them into security bypass.

Connect your obd mx into obd port and connect to alpha obd ap on android device.

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

Choose body computer select body control module my 2019

Choose Car configuration change. Go almost all the way down the list till you come to

Cab Net ICS integrated center stack. Click it and disable it.

Scroll down a couple and click on Cabin Net DCSD display screen module and enable it.

If you cant get AC to work move to next step

6.Now for hvac controls.

Connect again to body control module go to car configuration then vehicle config 3 HVAC

Select value tab : dual zone ATC .

Hit start. And done

Note: sometimes it take a few times driving for sirus radio and back up camera to start working again.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
8.4 non nav to 12.1​

1. you will need to acquire a android device, an app called alphaobd, a Bluetooth obdlink Mx, and a security gateway bypass module from infotainment. Also need part # 68082364AC.

3. there is a good youtube video on removing 8.4 and installing 12 inch. (for installation instruction only) Not for programming. Stop watching at 3 minutes 22 seconds because the rest is useless unless you spend 4k on there 12 inch

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Install 12.1 in dash. Using all existing plugs. And the Jumper wire ( # 68082364AC will plug into module and then to the back of 12.1

5.you need to install security bypass module. If you have a 2500 it is located behind instrument cluster.

After cluster is remove there is a black box with 2 plugs. Unplug them and plug them into security bypass.

Connect your obd mx into obd port and connect to alpha obd ap on android device.

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

Choose Car configuration change. Go almost all the way down the list till you come to

Scroll down a couple and click on Cabin Net DCSD display screen module and enable it.

6.Now for hvac controls.

Connect again to body control module go to car configuration then vehicle config 3 HVAC

Hit start. And done

Note: sometimes it take a few times driving for sirus radio and back up camera to start working again.
APPRECIATE your time in writing this down because a lot of people get help and don't show or answer questions....

Cableline01

Reaction score
Do you have a condensed parts list? It looks like I only need 3 parts, Screen with Bezel with only hazards, Control module, and a cable. I have the Alphaobd and the bypass. Am I missing anything? I'm Coming from the 8.4 NonNav.

jnomuc

Reaction score
Do you have a condensed parts list? It looks like I only need 3 parts, Screen with Bezel with only hazards, Control module, and a cable. I have the Alphaobd and the bypass. Am I missing anything? I'm Coming from the 8.4 NonNav.
post 319

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score

You need LVDS cable since the one for the 8.4" is so short. The control module is going to be the hardest part to find

Livinfast85

Reaction score
8.4 non nav to 12.1​

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

6.Now for hvac controls.

Hit start. And done

Nice consolidation! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

spike2c

Reaction score
APPRECIATE your time in writing this down because a lot of people get help and don't show or answer questions....
That’s exactly why i did it. It took me a while to comb through all the info while I was doing mine. Thought I’d jot it down while it was fresh

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
8.4 non nav to 12.1​

current Move to pin

1 orange to 2

4 red to 1

5 white to 6

7 black to 8

8 white/dark blue to 3

Choose ram 2500 (DJ/DR)

6.Now for hvac controls.

Hit start. And done

Im curious is this the same as the 1500 as far as the pin movement? i know it was a guy on here said he had some extra wire harness but he is not responding.... as far as the bypass module does it always needs to be installed when making changes?

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Waiting on my LVDS 68417577AA which won't be here until monday then i will start the upgrade switch i will be coming from 8.4 non nav to the 12 inch nav

Emarkowski24

Reaction score
If you don’t own an android device the alpha windows version will still be able to perform this correct?

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
I have a module arriving tomorrow for anyone who needs one. It is UCX but will work fine with the 12C Nav as long as you do not want the Guardian feature.

Cableline01

Reaction score
If I get a radio out of a wrecked truck is there any issue with code or anything like that to know about?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
If I get a radio out of a wrecked truck is there any issue with code or anything like that to know about?
Yeah, You'll need the pin-code, You can get it from the dealer if you have the VIN or you can buy it online ($13 if i remember correctly).

Bram2019

Reaction score
Write down the VIN number of the donor truck and write down the serial number on the side of the module. You will need this if you o to a dealer to get the pin code.

Users who are viewing this thread