5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
Ok it looks like I found the MM module. It's the 68317978AH version, but it should update to the newest software. I'm just waiting to hear from the vendor as to what they need from me. It's coming from a Mopar supplier, so I'm hoping they can program it.

What's the longer cable for that I've seen posted up in previous thread posts? Is that a mandatory requirement for the conversion?

If the dealer can't program the MM module, can you give me options of where I can send it for programming to my VIN?

Thank you

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok it looks like I found the MM module. It's the 68317978AH version, but it should update to the newest software. I'm just waiting to hear from the vendor as to what they need from me. It's coming from a Mopar supplier, so I'm hoping they can program it.

What's the longer cable for that I've seen posted up in previous thread posts? Is that a mandatory requirement for the conversion?

If the dealer can't program the MM module, can you give me options of where I can send it for programming to my VIN?

Thank you
The radio module is not what gets programmed, it’s the BCM in the truck that gets programmed. No dealer or parts supplier is able to do anything to be able to get the radio module to work in your truck. The radio gets plugged in, and reads the settings of the BCM, and if those settings aren’t what it’s looking for, it won’t work right. You MUST use AlfaOBD or something like the OBD Genie that infotainment uses to configure your BCM for the radio module.
All 12” radio modules are capable of receiving the latest updates. 68317978AH is the exact same part number as 68317978AI, except AI was revised and BUILT with a newer software version, whereas AH was built with older software version but can be updated to the same as AI.

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
The radio module is not what gets programmed, it’s the BCM in the truck that gets programmed. No dealer or parts supplier is able to do anything to be able to get the radio module to work in your truck. The radio gets plugged in, and reads the settings of the BCM, and if those settings aren’t what it’s looking for, it won’t work right. You MUST use AlfaOBD or something like the OBD Genie that infotainment uses to configure your BCM for the radio module.
All 12” radio modules are capable of receiving the latest updates. 68317978AH is the exact same part number as 68317978AI, except AI was revised and BUILT with a newer software version, whereas AH was built with older software version but can be updated to the same as AI.

Ok that answers a lot of questions. So irrespective of what version UAX module I place into the truck, the VIN info isn't needed for it to operate properly..I just know that I don't have heated seats or strong wheel. .

If I'm understanding you correctly, by using the OBD programmer for the BCM, that's what programs the radio module to my specific vehicle?

What's with all this talk from infotainment about them programming the module for my specific VIN and that it won't work unless they program the module? My local dealer also told me that they get the modules directly from Starr programmed for the truck it's going into.

It's starting to feel like all the talk of programming the modules is an excuse to either charge super high prices or to prevent owners from upgrading by strict inventory denial of needed parts

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok that answers a lot of questions. So irrespective of what version UAX module I place into the truck, the VIN info isn't needed for it to operate properly..I just know that I don't have heated seats or strong wheel. .

If I'm understanding you correctly, by using the OBD programmer for the BCM, that's what programs the radio module to my specific vehicle?

What's with all this talk from infotainment about them programming the module for my specific VIN and that it won't work unless they program the module? My local dealer also told me that they get the modules directly from Starr programmed for the truck it's going into.

It's starting to feel like all the talk of programming the modules is an excuse to either charge super high prices or to prevent owners from upgrading by strict inventory denial of needed parts
Yes, it’s all “talk” to make you feel like you need to buy from them. I can assure you that infotainment does nothing as far as your VIN for programming the radio module. They get the parts from a junkyard, and they straight up re-sell them to you along with their genie.

Bram2019

Reaction score

When a dealer orders a replacement module, it is not the vin that they worry about. That does not matter. What they do is get the Sirius ID to match the original in the truck so it coordinates with the Vin. That is for warranty replacements or retail replacements through Mopar. In your case it does not matter, because you are doing an upgrade. You would just use whatever sirius id is installed in the 12 inch module that you get. So if it come from a junkyard, just use whatever is listed on the module you get. Infotainment is not doing anything that Alfaobd can do.

Bram2019

Reaction score

Thank you
If this is coming from a Mopar dealer, I have my doubts they will deliver. If they do, let me know. They all claim they are restricted right now.

Robert_warren_27

Reaction score
Can you post the site where you ordered the module I am looking at upgrading mine to the 12 in screen as well.

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
This showed up today... It's awesome but the bezel isn't the right color for my interior. It came from a black Laramie, but it has the pattern that's not going to work. Does anyone have a black bezel they might like to trade for this one?

Attachments

• 20200615_140949.jpg
    20200615_140949.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200615_141010.jpg
    20200615_141010.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 168

Kennylasvegas

Reaction score
This showed up today... It's awesome but the bezel isn't the right color for my interior. It came from a black Laramie, but it has the pattern that's not going to work. Does anyone have a black bezel they might like to trade for this one?
Sorry to ask but where did you purchase the set up?

daveyd007

Reaction score
Hey, so I am pretty new to the forum but I wanted to add some input as I work at a dealer. I talked with infotainment. I talked to OBD Genie, I worked with AlfaOBD BCM settings. I am pretty techie and think I am add some input to this topic. First the problem with adding the 12 inch when you have any other screen is that this is NOT a Mopar sales kit. Mopar writes your VIN to have the sales codes to the options you purchase your vehicle with when it drives off the factory. You can add sales codes after purchase of the vehicle only to the options Mopar allows you to add after for example adding a trailer hitch harness. Mopar provides an accessory kit, Mopar provides the sales code your dealer can use to program your vehicle to enable the option. In this case with these 12 inch screens there isnt an addition sales code to add the 12 inch function as an accessory. Your vehicle is either built with it or without the sales code, the 12 inch screen is not an accessory. I have talked to my dealerships head service writers. The senior service manager entertained me with all the codes he can add to a vehicle. We looked over different VINS and tons of sales codes. The verdict is your dealer cannot add the codes. ONLY Mopar can. If you have a direct connection with a mopar engineer maybe they could do it. Maybe.

Now what OBD Genie does is writes the programming your BCM needs to use that 12 inch screen. They have figured out out to write directly to your BCM without the need of a dealer. The programmer writes the information like software to the BCM. The programmer doesnt care the year, it doesnt care the model, it writes to the BCM what it needs to work the 12 inch screen. Pretty impressive the software guys they have over there to figure this out. They must have some early CAN-Bus experience. The problem with OBDGenie is that they work with Infotainment. The reason they work with Infotainment is simple. They are owned by the same family. OBD Genie owns Infotainment.

Now about infotainment's greed. They want to be the only supplier. They want to jack up the prices unreasonably. OBDGenie only want $129.00 for a programmer. Thats fair. $4,000.00 for a 12 inch set up is crazy. While some people here wont mind paying that price. The fact is not everyone will. This is where OBDGenie loses out. They can sell a lot more programmers if they made this available. They would make more money by volume of customers buying the programmer vs. selling the the whole kit. BAD selling strategy. More of us can get the parts for cheaper. We would become customers of OBDGenie and buy the programmer. But since not everyone will spend $4,000.00 none of us will become customers. They dont get any money from us. That's a BAD business model. Not only that but anytime I read about Infotainment it always has a negative tone.

I also worked with AlfaOBD software. The program lets you change things already setup on your BCM. Yes you can change a lot of options hidden in your BCM but the 12 inch screen is not hidden or something you simply enable in the options. This is written to your BCM the day your vehicle was made to have whatever center stack your vehicle came with. The only way is to use the OBDGenie or another company that can do what OBDGenie can do and I dont know any. Hope this clears some things up.

daveyd007

Reaction score
ALSO, the OBD Genie programmer is not VIN specific. Sooooooo, if someone already has it and wants to rent it out thats 100% possible. Dont believe Infotainment when they say its only programmed to your vehicle. They just dont want anyone sharing it. How would they make money. If you know someone that has one they can rent it to you. I would imagine $129.00 would be a fair charge and a deposit fee to get the programmer back. IF everyone shares it then Infotainment wouldnt make any money from it, eventually they will release it without the kit.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, so I am pretty new to the forum but I wanted to add some input as I work at a dealer. I talked with infotainment. I talked to OBD Genie, I worked with AlfaOBD BCM settings. I am pretty techie and think I am add some input to this topic. First the problem with adding the 12 inch when you have any other screen is that this is NOT a Mopar sales kit. Mopar writes your VIN to have the sales codes to the options you purchase your vehicle with when it drives off the factory. You can add sales codes after purchase of the vehicle only to the options Mopar allows you to add after for example adding a trailer hitch harness. Mopar provides an accessory kit, Mopar provides the sales code your dealer can use to program your vehicle to enable the option. In this case with these 12 inch screens there isnt an addition sales code to add the 12 inch function as an accessory. Your vehicle is either built with it or without the sales code, the 12 inch screen is not an accessory. I have talked to my dealerships head service writers. The senior service manager entertained me with all the codes he can add to a vehicle. We looked over different VINS and tons of sales codes. The verdict is your dealer cannot add the codes. ONLY Mopar can. If you have a direct connection with a mopar engineer maybe they could do it. Maybe.

Now what OBD Genie does is writes the programming your BCM needs to use that 12 inch screen. They have figured out out to write directly to your BCM without the need of a dealer. The programmer writes the information like software to the BCM. The programmer doesnt care the year, it doesnt care the model, it writes to the BCM what it needs to work the 12 inch screen. Pretty impressive the software guys they have over there to figure this out. They must have some early CAN-Bus experience. The problem with OBDGenie is that they work with Infotainment. The reason they work with Infotainment is simple. They are owned by the same family. OBD Genie owns Infotainment.

Now about infotainment's greed. They want to be the only supplier. They want to jack up the prices unreasonably. OBDGenie only want $129.00 for a programmer. Thats fair. $4,000.00 for a 12 inch set up is crazy. While some people here wont mind paying that price. The fact is not everyone will. This is where OBDGenie loses out. They can sell a lot more programmers if they made this available. They would make more money by volume of customers buying the programmer vs. selling the the whole kit. BAD selling strategy. More of us can get the parts for cheaper. We would become customers of OBDGenie and buy the programmer. But since not everyone will spend $4,000.00 none of us will become customers. They dont get any money from us. That's a BAD business model. Not only that but anytime I read about Infotainment it always has a negative tone.

I also worked with AlfaOBD software. The program lets you change things already setup on your BCM. Yes you can change a lot of options hidden in your BCM but the 12 inch screen is not hidden or something you simply enable in the options. This is written to your BCM the day your vehicle was made to have whatever center stack your vehicle came with. The only way is to use the OBDGenie or another company that can do what OBDGenie can do and I dont know any. Hope this clears some things up.
The genie is not the only way. Everyone’s been doing it with AlfaOBD. The genie is doing the exact same thing as AlfaOBD, and that’s enabling the DCSD display screen module on the cabin network and disabling the ICS integrated center stack off of the cabin network. If mopar offered a retrofit kit for the 12” and allowed UAX sales code to be added to any VIN (and the other radio sales code to be removed), then those are the exact settings in the BCM that would be changed. So, AlfaOBD is doing EXACTLY what you do when you restore a vehicle configuration for an added sales code, except adding the sales code changes all the required BCM settings in one shot, and with AlfaOBD you need to manually change all the settings associated with the sales code feature. And, obviously, with changes with AlfaOBD, the sales code won’t show up on the VIN configuration as a dealer installed option.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ALSO, the OBD Genie programmer is not VIN specific. Sooooooo, if someone already has it and wants to rent it out thats 100% possible. Dont believe Infotainment when they say its only programmed to your vehicle. They just dont want anyone sharing it. How would they make money. If you know someone that has one they can rent it to you. I would imagine $129.00 would be a fair charge and a deposit fee to get the programmer back. IF everyone shares it then Infotainment wouldnt make any money from it, eventually they will release it without the kit.
I’m not sure about this either. I haven’t used a genie in about 3 years (and I would never recommend a one trick pony overpriced programmer to anybody over AlfaOBD), but the genies that I do have for changing MTC to ATC are definitely VIN locked, as I’ve tried them on a second vehicle.

daveyd007

Reaction score
The genie is not the only way. Everyone’s been doing it with AlfaOBD. The genie is doing the exact same thing as AlfaOBD, and that’s enabling the module on the cabin network and disabling the ICS integrated center stack off of the cabin network. If mopar offered a retrofit kit for the 12” and allowed UAX sales code to be added to any VIN (and the other radio sales code to be removed), then those are the exact settings in the BCM that would be changed. So, AlfaOBD is doing EXACTLY what you do when you restore a vehicle configuration for an added sales code, except adding the sales code changes all the required BCM settings in one shot, and with AlfaOBD you need to manually change all the settings associated with the sales code feature. And, obviously, with changes with AlfaOBD, the sales code won’t show up on the VIN configuration as a dealer installed option.

So disabling the ICS Integrated center stack could have been what was missing.

daveyd007

Reaction score
I’m not sure about this either. I haven’t used a genie in about 3 years (and I would never recommend a one trick pony overpriced programmer to anybody over AlfaOBD), but the genies that I do have for changing MTC to ATC are definitely VIN locked, as I’ve tried them on a second vehicle.
I have a OBDGenie for the UAV for the Grand Cherokee. No VIN registry was needed.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So disabling the ICS Integrated center stack could have been what was missing.
Yes. This is why the volume and tune knobs wouldn’t work on the 12” radio. Because the BCM was still looking for it to be controlled from the integrated center stack, not the display screen module. Same with the display shutting off after a key cycle when going from a UAA/UAM to a UAX, but not when going from a UAV to UAX- because the display screen module is not enabled for the UAA/UAM, but is enabled for a UAV/UAX.
I have a OBDGenie for the UAV for the Grand Cherokee. No VIN registry was needed.
They probably could have changed the VIN lock in the last couple years since the ones I have, but even still, it makes no sense to buy a one trick pony genie for $130+ when you’re $50 away from getting AlfaOBD, which can do everything that every genie combined can do, and more.
Unfortunately, there are too many uninformed people out there, and that’s how infotainment/OBDGenie thrives with their ignorant pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread