5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

jlanc20

Reaction score
Anyone end up with a non matching bezel when they did their swap? The one I have is from a Rebel w/red accent and is in excellent condition would swap for one that matches my interior trim
When i ordered my bezel which is the same color you need i think the dealership said there were only 3 in the whole U.S. because of the factories being shut down, now there is 2 obviously unless you get a used one

Skater

Reaction score
I would like to switch from the 8.4 to the 12.1 what do I need to do to make it work.

Linkswell makes a 10 inch conversion kit called T Style Radios for Rams. They make a great 12 inch conversion for Fords too. I have one in my F-150. The install to replace my small screen with a 12" screen took about 30 minutes and all connectors and converters were included in the kit, with very specific instructions and videos available.

I did not see a year or specs for your Ram in your signature, so I do not know if the one linked below will work for you. I believe it fits for 2014 to 2018, but Linkswell does update its catalog often, so you may want to call if you have a 2019 or 2020, or see if there is a 12 inch system and kit available and to find out if a conversion kit is available for your specific Ram.

Cruzman05thgen

Reaction score
Anyone end up with a non matching bezel when they did their swap? The one I have is from a Rebel w/red accent and is in excellent condition would swap for one that matches my interior trim

I ended up with one for a limited, I’m also in the hunt for the diesel grey interior bezel
9f02dec4cf255ed01ef58261b336f9b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bflo_J

Reaction score
When i ordered my bezel which is the same color you need i think the dealership said there were only 3 in the whole U.S. because of the factories being shut down, now there is 2 obviously unless you get a used one
Do you know the part # ? I can live with the mismatch one for now I suppose. Sourcing all these parts is adding up and becoming a damn headache. Should’ve spent the extra cash and gone infotainment route I feel

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Linkswell makes a 10 inch conversion kit called T Style Radios for Rams. They make a great 12 inch conversion for Fords too. I have one in my F-150. The install to replace my small screen with a 12" screen took about 30 minutes and all connectors and converters were included in the kit, with very specific instructions and videos available.

I did not see a year or specs for your Ram in your signature, so I do not know if the one linked below will work for you. I believe it fits for 2014 to 2018, but Linkswell does update its catalog often, so you may want to call if you have a 2019 or 2020, or see if there is a 12 inch system and kit available and to find out if a conversion kit is available for your specific Ram.

They are working on a 2019-2020 release. (Top right corner)
2019RAMUPGRADE.png

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Linkswell, Phoenix, “Tesla style”- they’re all the same rebranded radios. If you don’t mind fiddling around with them constantly, or having features on the truck not working the way they’re supposed to through the radio, most people overlook that stuff because “at least it looks good”.

Bflo_J

Reaction score
I ended up with one for a limited, I’m also in the hunt for the diesel grey interior bezel
9f02dec4cf255ed01ef58261b336f9b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks Good and a heck of a lot more acceptable than me having to deal with the red accents (lol)

jlanc20

Reaction score
Do you know the part # ? I can live with the mismatch one for now I suppose. Sourcing all these parts is adding up and becoming a damn headache. Should’ve spent the extra cash and gone infotainment route I feel
The part number was 6UV463XLAB, thats for diesel grey and the marble like piece up top

jlanc20

Reaction score
The part number was 6UV463XLAB, thats for diesel grey and the marble like piece up top
I will say the rubber mat up top does not fit in the bezels for the 12 theyre a little bigger so you will need one of those

Opicazo

Reaction score
Started having issues yesterday! Touchscreen does not work! Phone still connects but and I can use manual knobs but touchscreen unresponsive. I removed battery and next day started working normal. Now I have the same issue again. Anyone know a fix for this or know what is causing this

Flash25296

Reaction score
As a future Ram 1500 owner, are people finding a regret in not getting the 12 in screen over the 8.4 in screen? I thought it would be easier to have separate climate controls but I have not used either.

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
Hello all!!

This is my first post and it appears I have come to the right place. I have the 12C display and bezel coming to me on Monday. I have been working with the local dealer to try and access the multi-media module for the new unit without success since it is a restricted item and VIN specific. Infotainment has been absolutely as rude as rude can be since they only want me to trade in the new item that is coming and will only speak to me if I purchase their entire package.

What has changed in the past week is this...... P/N 68317978AJ has been discontinued, and that is the key to this conversion along with reprogramming the BCM. I have not seen anywhere that says what the replacement part is going to be, and the dealer is just as stumped as I am. So I am stuck trying to source the multi media module.

So here is my question for all of you. I have seen some of you say that you can build the connector harness that converts from the 4C to the 12C. I have also seen the single wire running from the third port to the third port on the dongle that bypasses the new harness. But is there any way to get by without having to program the BCM, or is there another company outside of Infotainment that will sell you the programming interface through the OBD to make it happen?

I am in Florida if any of you can help with this that have successfully done the conversion. I am swapping my gauges out Saturday to the BH Package 2 dash from the simple one and having the mileage and all the info corrected. Once I have these two things done, I will have everything on the truck I wished I picked up when I first bought it.

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all!!

This is my first post and it appears I have come to the right place. I have the 12C display and bezel coming to me on Monday. I have been working with the local dealer to try and access the multi-media module for the new unit without success since it is a restricted item and VIN specific. Infotainment has been absolutely as rude as rude can be since they only want me to trade in the new item that is coming and will only speak to me if I purchase their entire package.

What has changed in the past week is this...... P/N 68317978AJ has been discontinued, and that is the key to this conversion along with reprogramming the BCM. I have not seen anywhere that says what the replacement part is going to be, and the dealer is just as stumped as I am.

So here is my question for all of you. I have seen some of you say that you can build the connector harness that converts from the 4C to the 12C. I have also seen the single wire running from the third port to the third port on the dongle that bypasses the new harness. But is there any way to get by without having to program the BCM, or is there another company outside of Infotainment that will sell you the programming interface through the OBD to make it happen?

I am in Florida if any of you can help with this that have successfully done the conversion.
Just look for a module at a salvage yard or something... Get AlfaOBD and do the programming yourself, it's pretty easy.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all!!

What has changed in the past week is this...... P/N 68317978AJ has been discontinued, and that is the key to this conversion along with reprogramming the BCM. I have not seen anywhere that says what the replacement part is going to be, and the dealer is just as stumped as I am.

I am in Florida if any of you can help with this that have successfully done the conversion.
68317978AJ is discontinued, but the AH And AI revisions are still active. 68378392AE is for the HD trucks, but will also work. All UAX 12” radio modules are on restriction and reserved for warranty claims. You could try asking the dealer if the UCX 12” radio modules are available to buy. UCX is for Canadian market, and I’d imagine the only difference is the cellular wireless card, which isn’t going to be used anyway on a retrofit.
Infotainment will never separate their kits because they’re too proud of them. They overplayed their hand on the price of the 12” kit, and now they’re trying to buy up all the used radio modules in order to create the need for us to buy the overpriced kit from them.
You’re better off just getting AlfaOBD to change the settings in the BCM. It is far cheaper, and more useful than anybody that could offer a one trick pony programmer similar to the genie.

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
68317978AJ is discontinued, but the AH And AI revisions are still active. 68378392AE is for the HD trucks, but will also work. All UAX 12” radio modules are on restriction and reserved for warranty claims. You could try asking the dealer if the UCX 12” radio modules are available to buy. UCX is for Canadian market, and I’d imagine the only difference is the cellular wireless card, which isn’t going to be used anyway on a retrofit.
Infotainment will never separate their kits because they’re too proud of them. They overplayed their hand on the price of the 12” kit, and now they’re trying to buy up all the used radio modules in order to create the need for us to buy the overpriced kit from them.
You’re better off just getting AlfaOBD to change the settings in the BCM. It is far cheaper, and more useful than anybody that could offer a one trick pony programmer similar to the genie.

I was on the AlfaOBD site and do not even know where to start as far as that. I am pretty saavy at fixing things, but all of the tuning and programming stuff is fairly new to me. My biggest reason for upgrading my display is that I do Urban Search & Rescue and the larger screen is going to much more feesable in disaster areas for knowing exactly where we are.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I was on the AlfaOBD site and do not even know where to start as far as that. I am pretty saavy at fixing things, but all of the tuning and programming stuff is fairly new to me. My biggest reason for upgrading my display is that I do Urban Search & Rescue and the larger screen is going to much more feesable in disaster areas for knowing exactly where we are.
Get the recommended OBD scanner and get AlfaOBD, You will get all the programming help you need from the great members of this forum, Don't worry.

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score

@Jimmy07 is there a way to reprogram my 4C module? I saw the company in Sweden does it but they will not sell to anyone other than a dealer, and evidently it is for US export models only that they will sell

Users who are viewing this thread