5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Tylerdustin2008

Reaction score
Well i spent the last two days reading this thread and going to beat this horse for the 100th time but....

Ive got a 2013 laramie longhorn 2500 8.4 with navigation..

I would like to do this 12.1, what exactly do i need to make this work.

I would also like to have the wifi/cellular working if that is possible.

Id also like info on the newer 8.4, as I'd like to have the bigger screen. But really after the android auto.

Thank you and sorry for beating this horse. Main reason I ask again is because I read needing something to do with obd. And most people doing this dont have nav, but I do.

jlanc20

Reaction score
Quick question for anyone who has done the swap and ordered a bezel through a parts warehouse, i am currently waiting on my bezel to get here but was wondering if the bolts that are needed to attach the screen to the bezel will come with it or should i get them seperately? If so, does anyone have the size?

Lopez317

Reaction score
Had run around with dealership all of a sudden price tripled and on freeze till november so does anyone know where I can purches the module at a decent price. Thanks

Lopez317

Reaction score
Well I'm going to give up on this till I can get all the parts and material so I am selling the screen and the basal for what I paid $1200 no module so if anyone is interested pm me

Last edited:

jlanc20

Reaction score
Had run around with dealership all of a sudden price tripled and on freeze till november so does anyone know where I can purches the module at a decent price. Thanks
Check on car-parts.com

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well i spent the last two days reading this thread and going to beat this horse for the 100th time but....

Ive got a 2013 laramie longhorn 2500 8.4 with navigation..

I would like to do this 12.1, what exactly do i need to make this work.

I would also like to have the wifi/cellular working if that is possible.

Id also like info on the newer 8.4, as I'd like to have the bigger screen. But really after the android auto.

Thank you and sorry for beating this horse. Main reason I ask again is because I read needing something to do with obd. And most people doing this dont have nav, but I do.
Had anyone saw the question/questions I posted?
This thread deals with the 5th gens 2019+ 1500 and 2500. This is not a direct swap for 2013-2018 rams. For what you’re after, (Android auto), you should just get the UAQ 8.4” radio out of a 2018 ram. You would also need a media hub out of a 2018, also, along with a conversion cable for it- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/uaq-uas-harness
Here’s the answer I gave someone else in this thread that was asking about swapping a 12” into a 2013-2018 ram- https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/8-4-to-12-1-screen-replacement.2344/post-279178

jlanc20

Reaction score
Got everything installed but have need an anti-theft code anybody know how to get this?

Bflo_J

Reaction score
Curious why there’s not a sticky post with all required parts and their associated part #’s and step by step to help eliminate all the repetitive questions and any confusion for the not so handy ones. I’ve acquired all parts and awaiting their arrival, will be swapping out 2019 1500 bighorn 8.4 W/Nav for the 12” think I’m prepared (LoL) once all arrives this week. Appreciate all that have gave input into the swap process and required parts.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Curious why there’s not a sticky post with all required parts and their associated part #’s and step by step to help eliminate all the repetitive questions and any confusion for the not so handy ones. I’ve acquired all parts and awaiting their arrival, will be swapping out 2019 1500 bighorn 8.4 W/Nav for the 12” think I’m prepared (LoL) once all arrives this week. Appreciate all that have gave input into the swap process and required parts.
Because it's not something you just go to the dealer and buy, you buy the complete bezel and screen + module from a junk yard or something like that...
There are tons of different part #s for this swap...

Bflo_J

Reaction score
Because it's not something you just go to the dealer and buy, you buy the complete bezel and screen + module from a junk yard or something like that...
There are tons of different part #s for this swap...

purchased Full display w/bezel and all control buttons/knobs from LKQ came out of 2019 Limited donor still has factory plastic on the display and in the donor truck photos seats still had plastic on them rear end collision may have been a new truck. had to get the module from Chryslerpartsgeek cheapest I found, LKQ was of no help trying to get the module from the same donor truck as it wasn’t listed. Im aware the part# changes most listings state what the previous part# that model is replacing, a pinned sticky would make it a lot easier than weeding through all the repetitive questions and back and forth between all the pages to try and find each step of the install or a given part and edited if someone finds a newer part# or install step. Give them known working module part# and if it changes it’s on them to do the homework‍♂️ All in all I managed to source everything thanks to everyone and feel confident in the swap thanks to all the instructions scattered around in this thread. Hope all goes well

Bflo_J

Reaction score
Question fellas, module Part# 68317978AH is stated as working w/12” and is what’s currently installed w/my 8.4” Nav, I was under the impression from previous posts that module needed to be swapped out ?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question fellas, module Part# 68317978AH is stated as working w/12” and is what’s currently installed w/my 8.4” Nav, I was under the impression from previous posts that module needed to be swapped out ?
How did you verify that you currently have that part number? Have you pulled the center stack and layed eyes on it?

Bflo_J

Reaction score
How did you verify that you currently have that part number? Have you pulled the center stack and layed eyes on it?

(SMH) I assumed as when I looked up the part # it was listed as for 8.4” w/Nav, just pulled my center display off and I’ve got Module 68307655AI

Bram2019

Reaction score
(SMH) I assumed as when I looked up the part # it was listed as for 8.4” w/Nav, just pulled my center display off and I’ve got Module 68307655AI
You have the correct module number for 8.4 Nav. It does not work with 12 inch

thatram1500

Reaction score
Oh that sucks. Any shipping insurance?
I used the following but this is just the major parts. Small hardware is needed for mounting everything.

Radio module / brain 68317978AF is what I used. A newer or older part number will be fine.

LVDS video cable: 68082364AC was the cheapest one I could find and I used. ( Dodge Journey )
or
68417577AA ( Ram 1500 )
or
5064684AD ( Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger )

Screen: 68312620AF with lane assist and parking buttons at the top
or
Screen: 68420967AD with only hazards button at the top

Bezel for the screen: Now this is a little tricky with different trims. Please verify color and prices vary widely.
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige or Black 6EJ801N1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Mountain Brown 6EJ811N6AA
Black/New Saddle 6EJ812XTAA
Indigo/Frost or Black 6EJ822C1AA
Mountain Brown/Lt Frost Beige, Black Interior Accents 6EZ151N1AA
Black, Black Interior Accents 6EZ152X9AA
All color Big Horn or Lonestar 6UV463XLAA
Black, Sport Badge 6UV473X9AB

Mat that fits in the top center: 6MB16TX7AA

Bolts that hold the screen to the trim are M5 X 0.8 x 12mm

Correction 8.4" Nav and Non Nav will need this or a pinout change. The 8.4" Nav will still use the blue connector and this adaptor. If you use the 8.4" nav screen connector without blue tape the hazards will not work when you switch to the 12" setup. On 8.4" setups the hazards wiring is still in the blue tapped connector and not the screen module connector.
HVAC plug with blue tape will also need repined before plugging into the screen. I made several and have them ready to ship just PM me.
View attachment 42678
do you still have these?

Users who are viewing this thread