5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4" to 12.1" screen replacement

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to swap the 8.4 to 12 in a 2014 Big Horn?
How good are you with a dremel tool and fiberglass work? It’ll work, but the climate controls only work from the screen. If you currently have manual climate controls, you’ll have to at least convert to auto climate by adding the HVAC module for it (you don’t have to convert the plenum box to true dual climate, though), and you’ll have to configure the BCM for dual zone ATC. If you have heated seats, you’ll probably have no way to control them anymore. I’m only assuming this, because when you swap a 2018 UAQ/UAS 8.4 radio into a 2013 or 2014 ram, the seat controls are grayed out on the touchscreen, leaving you with only the control switches on the lower switch bank. Since there’s no such physical buttons for the seats on a 12” screen, I’d imagine it would be the same touch screen behavior, with inoperable heated seats soft keys.

Lopez317

Reaction score
I have the screen and bezal called dealership to order module gave my VIN and he said not compatible sent me this. 6105753611.jpg

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have the screen and bezal called dealership to order module gave my VIN and he said not compatible sent me this. View attachment 55291
What did you expect calling the dealer with your vin?? Hahaha
Give them a vin that has the 12" screen and tell them you want the radio module for this truck.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Lmao, good luck. My dealership wanted $2,000+ just for a module lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can get it for 750
For which part number? Are you actually able to purchase it? Last I knew, the 12” radio modules were on restriction, which basically means you need a warranty claim on an existing one. I’ll buy a few of them right now at that price, if you’re able to buy it.

dougstheman86

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the latest 12” radio update that just came out? Need to get it in a USB, since I added my 12”...

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the latest 12” radio update that just came out? Need to get it in a USB, since I added my 12”...

You have the vin of the vehicle you got the parts from?

Lopez317

Reaction score
For which part number? Are you actually able to purchase it? Last I knew, the 12” radio modules were on restriction, which basically means you need a warranty claim on an existing one. I’ll buy a few of them right now at that price, if you’re able to buy it.
That is what I was quoted from my dearership but he told me my truck was not comparable

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is what I was quoted from my dearership but he told me my truck was not comparable
Give your parts guy this VIN- 1C6SRFHT5LN288516. That truck has the 12” screen with radio module part number 68317978AJ. Like mentioned above, they won’t order it for you based off of your VIN.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I would be curious to see if the dealer can order it. Last I heard FCA being weird about ordering radio modules

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would be curious to see if the dealer can order it. Last I heard FCA being weird about ordering radio modules
Same here. It’s been about 2 months since I checked, and they were restricted to warranty issues only.

jlanc20

Reaction score
Finally have a module coming and i also have the vin of the vehicle it came from are we just to call drive uconnect to get an update sent? Or how would that work? Have a screen, bezel, and module all being shipped but everything is taking longer than normal due to covid ugh

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Finally have a module coming and i also have the vin of the vehicle it came from are we just to call drive uconnect to get an update sent? Or how would that work?
I’m convinced that the uconnect update site doesn’t do anything for the 12” radios. It will always say your radio is up to date. I’ve entered dozens of 12” vehicle VINs of radios that I know for a fact have an update available, but it will still say radio is up to date. The only thing you can do, is wait for a recall or TSB for the radio of that VIN, and see if you can pay the dealer to put the OTA update on a USB stick for you.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Finally have a module coming and i also have the vin of the vehicle it came from are we just to call drive uconnect to get an update sent? Or how would that work? Have a screen, bezel, and module all being shipped but everything is taking longer than normal due to covid ugh
Where did you find the module and what part number are they sending you

Users who are viewing this thread