5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Cool Dad

Reaction score
'22 w/ the 8.4" nav unit, non-ANC here:

Just installed Infinity REF-3032cfx's (3Ω) in the dash. I used the Metra 72-7902 harnesses, cut the positive wires in half and soldered one 25W/5Ω resistor into each (pic below). Then dressed it up with heat-shrink tubing and dropped them in. Very easy install, only trick is the speakers will line up to the screw holes one way. So if these speakers seem misaligned you'll have to spin them 180 degrees.

As far as quality goes, this speaker & resistor combo is 100% on-point with the base door speakers. The volume balance is perfect and there's no need to mess with the fader. Mids/voices and highs are so much better. Of course the door speakers are still muddy, but I can now turn up the mid & treble on the EQ and it is not too bright at all.

All-in cost was $70 for the speakers, harnesses, resistors, and 500 heat shrink tubes. (I already had a soldering iron.) Worth every cent if you're just trying to do a "stage 1" upgrade. But since I got bit by the bug when I was a teen, I will be working the doors soon, and will report out when I get another break from work.

Attachments

• 1691891874318.png
    1691891874318.png
    330.6 KB · Views: 43

ccampbell2446

Reaction score
Alpine System - 2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Truck is brand new 1k miles so far. I followed this thread and decided to install the Infinity REF 3032's in my dash with the Metra 72-7902 adapters. I wired them up with the provided capacitors installed on the positive side. Everything sounds great except for when I get into the truck, exit the truck, or wake the truck up in any electrical way, the speakers pop at me. Very subtle pop like a needle being placed on a vinyl record. It's driving me nuts.
I put the stocks back in, and no pop at all. I also tried just putting one of the infinity's in, and it started popping as soon as it was installed. I've tried using a 150HZ bass blocker, a 300 HZ bass blocker, just the provided capacitors... can't get any set up to get rid of the pop.
My system will on occasion now after answering a phone call it will just play music out of the front right side as if it's still in the silenced mode for a phone call.

Anyone ran into this before? Crutchfield techs are stumped. They're taking back my infinity's and my next idea was to order Rockford Fosgate P132's with the integrated crossover so I won't have any capacitor variables this time. My gut tells me that's not the problem, but the stock speakers don't pop AT ALL when in.
Any help is greatly appreciated. New to Ram, came from GM. Thanks Ram Fam.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Alpine System - 2023 Ram 1500 Bighorn. Truck is brand new 1k miles so far. I followed this thread and decided to install the Infinity REF 3032's in my dash with the Metra 72-7902 adapters. I wired them up with the provided capacitors installed on the positive side. Everything sounds great except for when I get into the truck, exit the truck, or wake the truck up in any electrical way, the speakers pop at me. Very subtle pop like a needle being placed on a vinyl record. It's driving me nuts.
I put the stocks back in, and no pop at all. I also tried just putting one of the infinity's in, and it started popping as soon as it was installed. I've tried using a 150HZ bass blocker, a 300 HZ bass blocker, just the provided capacitors... can't get any set up to get rid of the pop.
My system will on occasion now after answering a phone call it will just play music out of the front right side as if it's still in the silenced mode for a phone call.

Anyone ran into this before? Crutchfield techs are stumped. They're taking back my infinity's and my next idea was to order Rockford Fosgate P132's with the integrated crossover so I won't have any capacitor variables this time. My gut tells me that's not the problem, but the stock speakers don't pop AT ALL when in.
I have the same pop and I just have two sets of components installed. I deleted center and rear headliner speakers for proper imaging.

Brunzca

Reaction score

Did you try reversing the polarity, I.e. swapping the positive and negative connections? some Of those metra connectors are known to have the pos and negative wires backwards, so the positive from the stereo goes to the negative of the speaker, and vice versa. not sure that this is your problem, but it might be. It’s the only thing I can think of that would cause that without an aftermarket amplifier. The bass blockers shouldn’t be the issue, those should eliminate popping/unwanted noise while music is playing, but not just when the system turns on/off

Reaction score
Have any of you with the speaker popping issue tried an anc bypass harness or unplugging the anc mics?
i don't know the answer but all of the youtube vids ive been watching seem to indicate you need a an anc bypass. Weird thing is I don't have a box under my driver seat??? 22 2500 tradesman. Do they not have the ANC??? Does that mean i can use the under seat wiring harness to connect my amp? without a bypass or anything?

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
i don't know the answer but all of the youtube vids ive been watching seem to indicate you need a an anc bypass. Weird thing is I don't have a box under my driver seat??? 22 2500 tradesman. Do they not have the ANC??? Does that mean i can use the under seat wiring harness to connect my amp? without a bypass or anything?

On the 2500 it is located under the dash on the driver side of the truck. Should have the same white conector.

Reaction score
Here is a video I found that shows where it would be located on your truck.

noice! Im adding a SSL 1200W LoPro10 under the drivers seat. They recomend pulling signal from RL speaker wire. Seems odd to me. Best location to get signal? And with the wires removed as the video says, I don't need to get any bypass or other filter?? Ive never done stereo install stuff on a vehicle this new...but it is mine so lets do it!

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
noice! Im adding a SSL 1200W LoPro10 under the drivers seat. They recomend pulling signal from RL speaker wire. Seems odd to me. Best location to get signal? And with the wires removed as the video says, I don't need to get any bypass or other filter?? Ive never done stereo install stuff on a vehicle this new...but it is mine so lets do it!
Try purchasing the PAC ANC bypass harness first you will not have to disconnect the mics and can tap into this instead of tapping your factory wires. This is what I used on my 1500 to grab signal, power and ground for my LC7i.

Reaction score
Should I just do the Pre Amp? the amazon version is $249 but says 2013-17 dodge:

but the crutchfield is $315 and has an additional harness (2nd link):
and...............

so i'm not sure what i need just for my install and what would be needed if i want to add on? Just the bypass harness you gave the link to lets me do what? sorry. just trying to get clarity so i can order what i need for my appication!
blue

Brunzca

Reaction score
Should I just do the Pre Amp? the amazon version is $249 but says 2013-17 dodge:

but the crutchfield is $315 and has an additional harness (2nd link):
and...............

so i'm not sure what i need just for my install and what would be needed if i want to add on? Just the bypass harness you gave the link to lets me do what? sorry. just trying to get clarity so i can order what i need for my appication!
blue

do not buy the Amazon one. It’s not compatible, it’s for older models only. If you get the PAC interface, you need the .R2 model with the extra harness - so only buy one that specifically calls out ‘22 models and newer.

if you’re only adding a sub, you don’t need the Ap4-ch41. When I initially added just my subs, I just added a line out converter, and pulled signal from the existing sub wires (Alpine system). the bypass he showed you cuts off the ANC, which is mandatory if you add subs, or you get horrible noise.

heres another, easier option. Do you have the base (6 speaker) system? Or do you have Alpine/HK? Net Audio makes fully integrated harnesses, all you have to do is plug them in, then plug in your amp/speakers. Link below for the one you’d use if you have base system

Reaction score
do not buy the Amazon one. It’s not compatible, it’s for older models only. If you get the PAC interface, you need the .R2 model with the extra harness - so only buy one that specifically calls out ‘22 models and newer.

if you’re only adding a sub, you don’t need the Ap4-ch41. When I initially added just my subs, I just added a line out converter, and pulled signal from the existing sub wires (Alpine system). the bypass he showed you cuts off the ANC, which is mandatory if you add subs, or you get horrible noise.

heres another, easier option. Do you have the base (6 speaker) system? Or do you have Alpine/HK? Net Audio makes fully integrated harnesses, all you have to do is plug them in, then plug in your amp/speakers. Link below for the one you’d use if you have base system

no base and no roof speakers. Just a base unit with the mid sized touch screen (8"?) Not the HK (no writing on center dash speaker). So I dont have a factory amp or sub to pull signal from.

Brunzca

Reaction score
no base and no roof speakers. Just a base unit with the mid sized touch screen (8"?) Not the HK (no writing on center dash speaker). So I dont have a factory amp or sub to pull signal from.
ok, so that one I linked would do exactly what you need. you plug it in to the ANC module, and it gives you a signal out to your subwoofer amp, using the LOC that’s included

Reaction score
ok, so that one I linked would do exactly what you need. you plug it in to the ANC module, and it gives you a signal out to your subwoofer amp, using the LOC that’s included
$25 for a bypass but $124 for one with RCA outs? Anything on amazon work the same?

Brunzca

Reaction score
$25 for a bypass but $124 for one with RCA outs? Anything on amazon work the same?
you need at least the anc bypass (or cut the wires to bypass the anc), and a line output converter. You won’t find something exactly like what net audio has on Amazon, since he designed and makes those custom for the Ram, but if you know what you’re doing, you can diy it a little cheaper.

twillram

Reaction score
I was told numerous times by crutchfield that JL C2-650X and JLC2-350x won’t fit the front doors and dash corners I can confirm they do with plenty of clearance. Just need a 1/4 MDF spacer for doors. For the dash speakers the mounting tabs need to be slightly trimmed around the metal edges where the screws go in tin snips work great here. If anyone is looking at getting these speakers feel free to ask and I can go into more details mods took me about 35min for all 4 speakers.
View attachment 105853
I just ordered the pair of JLC2350x to replace my factory dash corners in my 2019 ram 1500. Your comment was the one I was looking for! It sounds like you didn't have too hard of time snipping a bit with the tin snips, hopefully it won't be a ***** for me. I'm new to doing car audio myself. I was worried since the Crutchfield website says it won't fit my Ram.

Reaction score
Did you ever finish this install? I am about to do the exact same thing. What rout did you take? $25 or $125?
i have not yet. came here to do more research. I purchased the cheaper option but it took forever in the mail and is not currently in my possession (middle of moving). I pre wired under the carpet and im ready for install...

Users who are viewing this thread