5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Ryas

Reaction score
Thanks Redline. That’s helpful and appreciated. What’s interesting is that someone (nice guy) on this thread posted the wiring diagram and to me it looked as the black harness vs. the white harness on the ANC is signal coming from the radio (inputs) - it has also has the 4 ANC MICS within that block. See image attached. The black block is going to out (outputting) to the 4 speakers plus dash in the car. Do I have that wrong?? Totally possible, I’ve been looking at this thing for too long. Lol.

Redline96

Reaction score
Ryas, it sounds like you have it right...

The black 16 pin connector is the speaker output to cab, doors and dash (8 wires) and two wires for the active vibration.

The white 22 pin connector is coming from the radio (8 wires) and has the brown and orange wires for the mics. Plus 2 for the active vibration and power and ground.

The diagram has the corresponding pinout numbers to find the correct wires to use to get it all connected together. It is a little confusing at first but i'm sure you'll get it figured out by studying it a little bit.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
so is the anc module seperate from amp? i have the alpine setup?

Redline96

Reaction score
This is what I have so far, please forgive the child like drawings.

Also, disregard the black tape for connections, it was only for testing and will be done properly when I'm finished with harness.

All the speaker leads will come apart at the taped area and will be connected to the amp input (speaker level) and outputs.. they were only connected to make sure the ANC unit had no control over the radio functions or features. Which it does not control any of it that I have found.

the 2 plugs going to the ANC are power for the unit and the 4 wires for the active vibration.

Oh forgot to mention, I will NOT have any function of the noise canceling when finished. It doesn't seem to be much different in interior noise without it so I'm not going to worry about it. And, keep in mind this harness is so I didn't have to cut and splice factory harness in case I want to put it back later.

Attachments

• My test harness.jpg
    My test harness.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Leadbedr

Reaction score
This is what I have so far, please forgive the child like drawings.

Also, disregard the black tape for connections, it was only for testing and will be done properly when I'm finished with harness.

All the speaker leads will come apart at the taped area and will be connected to the amp input (speaker level) and outputs.. they were only connected to make sure the ANC unit had no control over the radio functions or features. Which it does not control any of it that I have found.

the 2 plugs going to the ANC are power for the unit and the 4 wires for the active vibration.

Oh forgot to mention, I will NOT have any function of the noise canceling when finished. It doesn't seem to be much different in interior noise without it so I'm not going to worry about it. And, keep in mind this harness is so I didn't have to cut and splice factory harness in case I want to put it back later.

So you are going from radio speaker out (before anc) to high level input on amp?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can somebody whose replaced the fronts with the JBL302,s tell me if the depth was a tight fit. I’m wanting to put a JL Audio 3.5 with silk dome tweeters but it’s slight deeper than the JBL. Please and thank you.

sswails1

Reaction score
Can somebody whose replaced the fronts with the JBL302,s tell me if the depth was a tight fit. I’m wanting to put a JL Audio 3.5 with silk dome tweeters but it’s slight deeper than the JBL. Please and thank you.

They fit alright. I think the passenger side was a little tight due to the duct, but it fit. I have the HK system. If I did again, I would have gone with the Hertz 3.5’s due to there much higher sensitivity. The factory HKs are 4 ohm and not 2 ohm as someone posted before.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They fit alright. I think the passenger side was a little tight due to the duct, but it fit. I have the HK system. If I did again, I would have gone with the Hertz 3.5’s due to there much higher sensitivity. The factory HKs are 4 ohm and not 2 ohm as someone posted before.
I can get the Hertz for very good pricing as well and have the alpine I’ll check them out maybe a better choice if they higher sensitivity than the JL,s

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Chippy I installed JL 3.5s and they fit. You’ll need to trim the tabs and I shaved the trim cover a bit too as the tweeter looked about 1mm too tall, here’s my writeup from the way-back machine.

vondarius20

Reaction score
For those that switched all three dash speakers to the JBL GX302's, is the center wiring out of phase like the left and right speakers, or can the Metra adapter be left as is?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that switched all three dash speakers to the JBL GX302's, is the center wiring out of phase like the left and right speakers, or can the Metra adapter be left as is?
I'm still testing but it looks like my center and right dash speakers were out of phase and the left dash speaker in phase. The way they wired these up doesnt make any sense.

sswails1

Reaction score

On the HK system, left and right out of phase and the center was in phase. Needed to reverse harness for left and right only.

Adamcan75

Reaction score
New guy here!! I just got a 19 Laramie sport ivory tri coat. Had a JL 1000/5 with hertz Millie pros 6 1/2 in the front doors and the tweet in the dash 2 10w3 subs of my 17 ram Laramie. This new truck sounds scary!! What to go with 2 1000/5 and Millie 6 1/2 coaxial in the back and two 13tw5 for the sub but not sure about everything?

someguy

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a Big Horn that has just about everything, lvl 2 package, LED group, even the sunroof... but it doesn't have the 9 speaker Alpine setup.

I've done speakers before, but it sounds like this ANC makes things a pain in the ***. About to break down and factory order a Laramie. Are the JBLs and such in a 6 speaker config superior to the stock Alpine setup?

Users who are viewing this thread