5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

jmpow79`

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a Big Horn that has just about everything, lvl 2 package, LED group, even the sunroof... but it doesn't have the 9 speaker Alpine setup.

I've done speakers before, but it sounds like this ANC makes things a pain in the ***. About to break down and factory order a Laramie. Are the JBLs and such in a 6 speaker config superior to the stock Alpine setup?
I replaced all my speakers with Memphis 6x9 s and new tweeters. A jl 600.2 and a kicker single 10 with passive radiator. It destroys the Alpine system. I disconnected the 4 anc wires and haven't had any issue

Cannonball

Reaction score
For those that switched all three dash speakers to the JBL GX302's, is the center wiring out of phase like the left and right speakers, or can the Metra adapter be left as is?

I have the 9.1 alpine.

I replace my 3 dash with JBL. I tested each stock speaker with the app "polarity checker" (android) and found the right and left to be positive phase and the center to alter between in and 180 out depending on what frequency the app was checking. I checked the rear overhead speakers and they matched the primary phase of the fronts.

The front speakers themselves I checked with a battery to verify the positive terminal (since there is no indication or spade size difference). They were wired correctly as the commonly circulated wiring diagram here shows which verified my previous polarity findings (excluding the center that seemed to change phases, which it cant!).

The issue with these speakers being out of phase (only the 3.5s) could be there is no way to tell the speaker terminal polarity visually during assembly. So everyone seems to have different assemblies across all trims.

Also the stock speaker cones are a very fibrous paper. See demo:
20181218_220930.jpg 20181218_220930.jpg

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 9.1 alpine.

I replace my 3 dash with JBL. I tested each stock speaker with the app "polarity checker" (android) and found the right and left to be positive phase and the center to alter between in and 180 out depending on what frequency the app was checking. I checked the rear overhead speakers and they matched the primary phase of the fronts.

The front speakers themselves I checked with a battery to verify the positive terminal (since there is no indication or spade size difference). They were wired correctly as the commonly circulated wiring diagram here shows which verified my previous polarity findings (excluding the center that seemed to change phases, which it cant!).

The issue with these speakers being out of phase (only the 3.5s) could be there is no way to tell the speaker terminal polarity visually during assembly. So everyone seems to have different assemblies across all trims.

Also the stock speaker cones are a very fibrous paper. See demo:
View attachment 11291 View attachment 11291
I tried that app. It's too inconsistent for me. There is another one you have to pay for called Audio Tools I think and it was a little better but I still wasn't impressed. Think I'm going to borrow my wife's iPad and try the Speaker Pop app. I've heard good things about it.

sswails1

Reaction score
I tried that app. It's too inconsistent for me. There is another one you have to pay for called Audio Tools I think and it was a little better but I still wasn't impressed. Think I'm going to borrow my wife's iPad and try the Speaker Pop app. I've heard good things about it.

The AudioTools is one of the best, been around a long time. That is what I use. You can stream it across Bluetooth and use the app at the same to check polarity. Worked great for me!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The AudioTools is one of the best, been around a long time. That is what I use. You can stream it across Bluetooth and use the app at the same to check polarity. Worked great for me!
That's what I was doing. My results were still inconsistent. Starting to irritate me

sswails1

Reaction score
That's what I was doing. My results were still inconsistent. Starting to irritate me

What issues did you have. I just played the pop, place iPhone mic about 1” from speaker. Worked every time

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What issues did you have. I just played the pop, place iPhone mic about 1” from speaker. Worked every time
Sorry, you posted the iPhone app, I was referring to the AudioTool Android app. They are completely different apps by different people. I am about to download the iPhone app onto the iPad and try it.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Starting to look at box designs.
Never had one in a truck before.
Is it better firing the sub up or down?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Starting to look at box designs.
Never had one in a truck before.
Is it better firing the sub up or down?
Most boxes tend to fire down. I had them down firing in my Ford, and in my '13 Ram I had it firing up. I couldn't tell much difference either way.

someguy

Reaction score
I want to keep my ANC since it seems like it does a lot of good. How are drop in replacements in the 6 speaker setup comparing against the stock Alpine?

Are there any good amps that can piggyback the Anc? I think someone mentioned several earlier but not sure how that compares to current offerings.

I'm not looking for huge bass or huge volumes, just high quality mids and highs. Good drivers supply plenty of bass for me.

sswails1

Reaction score
Decided to try out the Hertz 3.5’s in the dash of my HK system in place of the JBLs. Glad I did, way more sensitive. I was able to turn my bass and mid back up to give a fuller sound.

Seems after the amp update all they did was bump up the bass maybe raise the gain a tad. The bass was overwhelming causing most of us to lower the bass to -5 to -7 and drop the mid as well.

Now, I’m back up to 0 to -1 on the bass with the mid flat. Damn what a difference those Herztz speakers made with the 92db @ 1w/1m vs the JBL 89db @ 2.83 or 84-85db @ 1w/1m..rough guess.

Last edited:

Adamcan75

Reaction score
I’ve got the hertz Millie pros and I love them!!! I’ve not put my system in the 19 yet was waiting for a box

sswails1

Reaction score
I’ve got the hertz Millie pros and I love them!!! I’ve not put my system in the 19 yet was waiting for a box

I should have went with gut knowing the Hertz would do better based on sensitivity regardless of the 2.3 ohm JBLs. They just can’t keep up in comparison. They also fit better with a shallower depth and magnet.

Leadbedr

Reaction score
Decided to try out the Hertz 3.5’s in the dash of my HK system in place of the JBLs. Glad I did, way more sensitive. I was able to turn my bass and mid back up to give a fuller sound.

Seems after the amp update all they did was bump up the bass maybe raise the gain a tad. The bass was overwhelming causing most of us to lower the bass to -5 to -7 and drop the mid as well.

Now, I’m back up to 0 to -1 on the bass with the mid flat. **** what a difference those Herztz speakers made with the 92db @ 1w/1m vs the JBL 89db @ 2.83 or 84-85db @ 1w/1m..rough guess.
You have a link for the hertz?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to using the Polarity Checker/Speaker Pop app off of iTunes. Mich more consistent. Would still get the occasional false reading but was way less often. Made it much easier to tell what is in and out of phase. After using it, the only thing in phase was my front left dash speaker. All of the doors the center and right dash, and rear headliner speakers were all reversed. I have all the 3.5" in phase now and it made a huge difference. I'll have to redo the rear doors and repin the Metra adapters. I haven't touched the front doors yet so those are still stock speakers. I will be replacing them as well. When I do the doors, I have some foam to use around the speakers for a tighter seal. I also have a box of dynomat I will be installing around and behind the speakers, especially in the front, to get rid of the rattle from the bass. Won't have a chance to do that until at least this weekend. Still have my 3.5" Readylift to install as well.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm these speakers a solid upgrade on the factory Alpine system that blend in perfectly they are very efficient. Replaced all 3 dash very happy with the results. 7D8DDDD2-C3D0-4435-9DFF-6C795A98D680.jpeg BCEBB4B7-C9F3-4BFB-9234-604AA1C8CFC7.jpeg

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I can confirm these speakers a solid upgrade on the factory Alpine system that blend in perfectly they are very efficient. Replaced all 3 dash very happy with the results. View attachment 11673 View attachment 11674
Do they fit under the grilles without a problem? Is it a noticeable upgrade? I just got a '19 Laramie with the Alpine and don't love the audio...a little bass heavy and the highs are completely lost.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can see in my pics to make sure they fit under the grills without problems I snipped the 2 guards you can see that is over the tweeter section in the pic on the box. They snapped right off very easily and of course the speaker grill protects them.

Users who are viewing this thread