5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

805myth1

Reaction score
The 3032cfx can handle more than 25 watts but you have to use a crossover set to 250hz or higher, you can also lower the gain on the amplifier.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I did have the crossover on the pioneer gm-d9705 set at about 300hz and the gain was set about 1/3 of the way lol.

MassGasMan

Reaction score
I got my system finished up today. It was pretty straightforward since I don't have ANC on my base 6 speaker system. First I replaced the factory garbage with infinity speakers running on the head unit. That alone made a huge difference. For a bit more low end without beating up the 6x9's, I installed an 8" Skar sub powered by a Pioneer amp. Huge improvement all around. Unlike several other builds I've seen, I did not tuck the amp behind the seats. We'll see if I regret that decision

Attachments

• 20201225_135908.jpg
    20201225_135908.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 20201225_161427.jpg
    20201225_161427.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 20201227_232859.jpg
    20201227_232859.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20201227_182038.jpg
    20201227_182038.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 142

et_ram

Reaction score
I got my system finished up today. It was pretty straightforward since I don't have ANC on my base 6 speaker system. First I replaced the factory garbage with infinity speakers running on the head unit. That alone made a huge difference.

I have the same base system and exact same infinity speakers. Did you install an amp to push those infinity speakers? If not, do you get a lot of distortion when you crank the volume up?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my system finished up today. It was pretty straightforward since I don't have ANC on my base 6 speaker system. First I replaced the factory garbage with infinity speakers running on the head unit. That alone made a huge difference. For a bit more low end without beating up the 6x9's, I installed an 8" Skar sub powered by a Pioneer amp. Huge improvement all around. Unlike several other builds I've seen, I did not tuck the amp behind the seats. We'll see if I regret that decision
i set my up like yours

Attachments

• 20210101_125041_InPixio.jpg
    20210101_125041_InPixio.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 75

MassGasMan

Reaction score
I have the same base system and exact same infinity speakers. Did you install an amp to push those infinity speakers? If not, do you get a lot of distortion when you crank the volume up?
I did not amplify my infinity reference speakers and I can get a lot of volume out of them without distortion. I installed them first and found the max volume I wanted to get out of them with the bass set at zero and mid down a couple notches. I then installed and adjusted the sub to that max volume I'm happy at. If I was going to amplify any of them it would be the 6x9's only. The 3.5" in the dash are quite loud since they only need 25 watts rms. I'm very happy with the sound now

MassGasMan

Reaction score
i set my up like yours
Did you do anything to fasten the box down? If not, I found that the (covered up) factory bolt holes under the seat worked well. I made up some 3/16" steel brackets to screw the sub box to. Worked great, very stiff and I think it came out clean

Attachments

• 20210101_150146.jpg
    20210101_150146.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210101_150257.jpg
    20210101_150257.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 81

dtlrshp

Reaction score
Did you do anything to fasten the box down? If not, I found that the (covered up) factory bolt holes under the seat worked well. I made up some 3/16" steel brackets to screw the sub box to. Worked great, very stiff and I think it came out clean

Nice, I just took a L5x3 angle bracket, with a headed stud and bolted it to the seat bolt. Had I done something like this on my last car it probably would've stopped my subs from being stolen. It won't stop a thief, but it'll definitely slow them down, they'd need two wrenches or the appropriate sized e-torx just to get the bracket off.

Attachments

• 2020-11-16 13.25.46.jpg
    2020-11-16 13.25.46.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 107

mchech

Reaction score
I have a 2019 tradesman with the base 6 speaker system and I was thinking about just upgrading all 6 speakers. Should I add and amp or no? And what benefits will I get if I add one?

MassGasMan

Reaction score
Nice, I just took a L5x3 angle bracket, with a headed stud and bolted it to the seat bolt. Had I done something like this on my last car it probably would've stopped my subs from being stolen. It won't stop a thief, but it'll definitely slow them down, they'd need two wrenches or the appropriate sized e-torx just to get the bracket off.
Yeah, same thought. Won't keep a thief from getting everything but it won't be quick and easy. I like your setup... already wishing I had a little more bass. I couldn't find a nice custom box for a single 10 or 12" so I went with what I have now

MassGasMan

Reaction score
I have a 2019 tradesman with the base 6 speaker system and I was thinking about just upgrading all 6 speakers. Should I add and amp or no? And what benefits will I get if I add one?
Amplifying the 6x9's will certainly make them sound much better. The 6x9's would like far more power than the stock head unit will give them. My brother has the identical truck as me but with the hemi and I suggested he start with just replacing the 3.5" dash speakers with infinity. When I did mine, I couldn't believe how much of a difference in sound clarity that made to begin with. The stock 6 speaker has full range speakers so highs are lacking in my opinion

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a warning to guys who want to at least have the option to return speakers they don't end up liking or working well with their setup... I went to return a pair to Sonic Electronix this week and was DENIED because "power was applied" making them used and unreturnable. I'm sorry, but WHAT? They plaster "60 day money back guarantee" and a bunch of feel good BS regarding their customer service and satisfaction for the customer, and deny a return because I made the speaker play music? And have the audacity to be an etailer charging full price with a policy like that? LOL. What a joke. I will never order from there again unless I have no other choice. The speakers, packaging, etc. all look brand new and untouched. But because I was honest and told them I powered them up, they refuse a return. Funny how that's not spelled out ANYWHERE in their return policy page, yet the "award winning customer service team" tells me it's their policy to not accept returns for items that have been powered on. Apparently I should have just lied on the RMA and said all I did was open the box to admire the appearance of the speaker, because that's all the return policy allows you to do apparently!

Chargeback initiated. **** those guys.

406Rebel

Reaction score
Just a warning to guys who want to at least have the option to return speakers they don't end up liking or working well with their setup... I went to return a pair to Sonic Electronix this week and was DENIED because "power was applied" making them used and unreturnable. I'm sorry, but WHAT? They plaster "60 day money back guarantee" and a bunch of feel good BS regarding their customer service and satisfaction for the customer, and deny a return because I made the speaker play music? And have the audacity to be an etailer charging full price with a policy like that? LOL. What a joke. I will never order from there again unless I have no other choice. The speakers, packaging, etc. all look brand new and untouched. But because I was honest and told them I powered them up, they refuse a return. Funny how that's not spelled out ANYWHERE in their return policy page, yet the "award winning customer service team" tells me it's their policy to not accept returns for items that have been powered on. Apparently I should have just lied on the RMA and said all I did was open the box to admire the appearance of the speaker, because that's all the return policy allows you to do apparently!

Chargeback initiated. **** those guys.
That sucks. I just returned a pair today to crutchfield that I ran for a couple weeks. Hope they are better about it.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i took my truck in to have it serviced.they disconnected my "AmpPro".so i went to buy another.when i got ready to install it.it was still there.i just reconnected it.so i returned the box and the store wouldnt take it back.i ended up selling it on "Ebay".not telling you to do that:LOL:(No disrepect again).its what i had to do🤨!

et_ram

Reaction score
Amplifying the 6x9's will certainly make them sound much better. The 6x9's would like far more power than the stock head unit will give them.

What power would you recommend to the 6x9 infiniti?
100 rms per speaker?

MassGasMan

Reaction score
What power would you recommend to the 6x9 infiniti?
100 rms per speaker?
Yeah, no question that will do it. I've been looking at 5 channel amps which would give me 50rms to the four 6x9's and 200rms to the sub. I think that's more than adequate especially considering how the 6x9's sound already just on the infotainment system which is prob less than 20wpc

Heisrizn

Reaction score
I have the Alpine 9 speaker setup in my 5.7/8.4" screen w/ Nav and would like to upgrade the speakers while NOT adding an amp. I've been reading but am quite a noob and in need of some direction if y'all don't mind. I'm not looking for major changes but would like to upgrade the speakers.

Three in dash 3.5" with Infinity REF-3032CFX and 72-7902 metra adaptors correct?

Four door speakers with 6"x9" Infinity REF-9633ix and metra 71-050? Or am I hearing the three-way infinity in the doors is pointless?

What about the speakers in the headliner? Same 3.5 two-way infinity? Leave them?

Will the factory amp power the Infinity dash/door speakers?

Polarity???!?!?

What am I missing?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Alpine 9 speaker setup in my 5.7/8.4" screen w/ Nav and would like to upgrade the speakers while NOT adding an amp. I've been reading but am quite a noob and in need of some direction if y'all don't mind. I'm not looking for major changes but would like to upgrade the speakers.

Three in dash 3.5" with Infinity REF-3032CFX and 72-7902 metra adaptors correct?

Four door speakers with 6"x9" Infinity REF-9633ix and metra 71-050? Or am I hearing the three-way infinity in the doors is pointless?

What about the speakers in the headliner? Same 3.5 two-way infinity? Leave them?

Polarity???!?!?

What am I missing?

Thoughts?
Ideally you'd want mid bass woofers in your doors especially if you don't plan on amplifying them. I am using CDT CL-69S for the front doors and the infinity 3032cfx for the dash and headliner. Also adding 2 10's under the rear seats but that is only thing that will be amplified. I may add another set of the CDT's for the rear doors down the road but we will see.

406Rebel

Reaction score

Polarity???!?!?

What am I missing?

Thoughts?
3-way in the doors is pointless. The front doors will only play the lows anyways. I went with CDT HD-690CFS.2 for my doors. Great mid bass and are 2 ohm to match the factory setup.

Your factory amp will run these and the dash speakers just fine.

For polarity my dash corner speakers were revered. You can get a polarity tester on Amazon for cheap.

AUTUT Automotive Plastic Shell Speaker Polarity Tester Phasemeter Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ55QHL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_MZEaGb8WDE8SG

mchech

Reaction score
What sise box did you go with? Do you think a 10” sub could fit in that size box?

MassGasMan

Reaction score
What sise box did you go with? Do you think a 10” sub could fit in that size box?
The .4 ft³ box I used is barely enough cubic feet for the sub I have, so no I don't think it will work for a 10" unless you find a shallow sub that can get away with that small of a box. Check out the Skar vd-8 but be sure to use a better power source than I got. I'm now looking to get a bigger/better amp, prob just go with a Rockford Fosgate mono

Users who are viewing this thread