5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

NatGNJ

Reaction score
Good afternoon (early evening) all! I've been browsing the forum for a while, piecing together some details on how to upgrade my Base 6-speaker. I have a V6, no ANC. I want to install new speakers and an amplifier.

My goal would be to avoid running new speaker wire to the doors and dash. I just want a boost in sound quality, slight boost in volume. I saw a post about catching pins from the back of the Receiver (Dash). Is this viable? IS there a better methodology?

Thank you!

Last edited:

dano257

Reaction score
Question about the base 6 speaker with the ANC under the driver's seat. Are the dash and front door speakers both full range, or is there a crossover?

M Rob

Reaction score
I read through this entire thread .... I applaud everyone who contributed so much knowledge in here !!!

I saw some people discussing the CDT brand of speakers , I was poking around and found that their 2 Ohm slim series 6x9”s are on sale right now for $99 ($109 with 5 year warranty) , states that they are regularly $250.
Quick facts:
Frequency response : 42Hz - 7000 Hz
Power handling 80 Watts RMS /180 peak
Sensitivity : 89.4
Mounting depth : 2.87 inches.

I am not familiar with this brand but I’m gonna take a stab at this !!!

lrobbi

Reaction score
I read through this entire thread .... I applaud everyone who contributed so much knowledge in here !!!

I saw some people discussing the CDT brand of speakers , I was poking around and found that their 2 Ohm slim series 6x9”s are on sale right now for $99 ($109 with 5 year warranty) , states that they are regularly $250.
Quick facts:
Frequency response : 42Hz - 7000 Hz
Power handling 80 Watts RMS /180 peak
Sensitivity : 89.4
Mounting depth : 2.87 inches.

I am not familiar with this brand but I’m gonna take a stab at this !!!

Love my CDT speakers - I think you will be very happy with them.

wbluke910

Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread I have never installed anything car audio related but I have learned so much just from reading through these 60 pages. I might end up taking you up on that Moparian. I just upgraded the dash speakers to Kicker KSC350 3.5" and I was gonna order the Infinity Primus PR5012IS but they were 2.7 ohm and I was reading about the CDTs and now that there on sale I am probably gonna get those instead for the rear and front door speakers. What would y'all recommend?

wbluke910

Reaction score
Hmmm think i might go ahead and pull the trigger on those, gotta pull the front door panels off anyways to install the proximity entry. They should pair well with the Infinity 3032cfx's correct?
Are you installing the door handles that you can touch to unlock the truck? I didn't know you could upgrade that I gotta get that as well I forgot to check for that I thought they came with it until the first day I got the truck home and remote started it pulled on the handle and it didn't open lol.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you installing the door handles that you can touch to unlock the truck? I didn't know you could upgrade that I gotta get that as well I forgot to check for that I thought they came with it until the first day I got the truck home and remote started it pulled on the handle and it didn't open lol.
Technically yes. There is a whole thread on it, the problem right now is getting the sales code added to your vin. I was lucky and got mine added before FCA stopped our guy from doing it.

wbluke910

Reaction score
Technically yes. There is a whole thread on it, the problem right now is getting the sales code added to your vin. I was lucky and got mine added before FCA stopped our guy from doing it.
Thanks so much for the answer again. I am hoping the small town dealer I bought from will add it because I really want the passive entry I rented a ton of rams and after I bought my bighorn I went to open it after remote start by pulling the handle and found out the hard way lol. I am learning how these modern trucks work so its all new to me. Is it possible to get another shop to add the sales code or maybe get it from the other bighorn that got it?

Petey1311

Reaction score
Good afternoon (early evening) all! I've been browsing the forum for a while, piecing together some details on how to upgrade my Base 6-speaker. I have a V6, no ANC. I want to install new speakers and an amplifier.

My goal would be to avoid running new speaker wire to the doors and dash. I just want a boost in sound quality, slight boost in volume. I saw a post about catching pins from the back of the Receiver (Dash). Is this viable? IS there a better methodology?

Thank you!
I think for you situation it would change Out the speakers first to see if quality speakers will give you what you want. If you want to add an amp add line out converters the the right and left channel (doesn’t matter front or rear) so you can run RCA’s to the amp. Then run speaker wire to each speaker. I understand you want to avoid this but from what it sounds like you want to do this is the best option. Running speaker wire will give you better sound than tying to use the factory wire. I use to install at circuit city in the Dallas area right up till they shut down so it’s been a few years. But your situation sounds pretty straight forward. Hope this helps

NatGNJ

Reaction score
I think for you situation it would change Out the speakers first to see if quality speakers will give you what you want. If you want to add an amp add line out converters the the right and left channel (doesn’t matter front or rear) so you can run RCA’s to the amp. Then run speaker wire to each speaker. I understand you want to avoid this but from what it sounds like you want to do this is the best option. Running speaker wire will give you better sound than tying to use the factory wire. I use to install at circuit city in the Dallas area right up till they shut down so it’s been a few years. But your situation sounds pretty straight forward. Hope this helps
Thank you for the feedback. If I get the DSR1, I wouldn't need to pick up LOC's , right? Since I put up my prior post, I have mentally committed to redoing the wiring and installing an amp. I think I can manage the door speaker wires fairly well, but do you (or anyone else) know how the dash wires are routed?

jpj1980

Reaction score
Base 6 speaker system. Will be adding 2 amps. The question is PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) or LC7i?
My thoughts; although the PAC is ideal on paper, I feel like the whole programming your factory radio to make it think it’s a premium radio is kind of iffy.
Installation is also a lot simpler on the LC7i. I will be making my own harness much like the Netaudio which taps into the ANC under the driver seat.
If I have any issues with the radio I can easily disconnect the harness and go back to factory.
I spent the last two nights reading this thread and I still can’t make up my mind.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Base 6 speaker system. Will be adding 2 amps. The question is PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) or LC7i?
My thoughts; although the PAC is ideal on paper, I feel like the whole programming your factory radio to make it think it’s a premium radio is kind of iffy.
Installation is also a lot simpler on the LC7i. I will be making my own harness much like the Netaudio which taps into the ANC under the driver seat.
If I have any issues with the radio I can easily disconnect the harness and go back to factory.
I spent the last two nights reading this thread and I still can’t make up my mind.
Consider the Dayton DSP-408 as well - those of us who have it really like it.

Also, the PAC APH-CH01 is worth the money for the convenience IMO.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would use the PAC ANC-CH01, it bypasses the ANC, gives you the speaker outputs you can tie you LOC or DSP into and costs like $25-30 bucks. Not sure why would you spend $250+ on the CH41 when you dont have an amplified system.

jpj1980

Reaction score
The cost won’t be much different between the PAC ANC / LC7i and CH41. I figure it is easier to disconnect the PAC ANC harness than pulling the console and removing the CH41 if I was to have any issues. Anyone running the LC7i on the base system?

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread