5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Meglomachinist

Reaction score
They are dynaudio esotan 272. The adaptors are steve meade designs 6x9 to 6.5 1/4 abs plates. Cool thing is they are predrilled to the same bolt pattern as the dyns. Screw arrangement, after some minor trimming of factory tabs on speaker hole, is a bit wierd. You cam get one factory screw in, then two of the holes on the speaker get a normal machine screw which grabs the inside rim of the factory speaker mount, rest of the speaker is machine screws and nylocs. It makes sense when you have the plate by the door. See pic as to why I was worried on depth.

Attachments

• 0128201818.jpg
    0128201818.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 106

Meglomachinist

Reaction score
Some more pics, front doors and tweeter mounts. Tweeter mounts are custom made, i used a router table to copy the factory dash speaker profile. For dyns had to use 1/8 abs 1/4 made the tweeter hit the grill.

Attachments

• 0330201824_HDR.jpg
    0330201824_HDR.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 0330201643.jpg
    0330201643.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 171

702bboiazn

Reaction score
Thanks buddy! I’m thinking switching to 6 1/2 in the doors and 3 inch wide band dash active setup, with the current setup I have it dosent sound bad, it’s loud and clear, but I just don’t like the tonality of these JBL speakers no matter how I tune it.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Thanks buddy! I’m thinking switching to 6 1/2 in the doors and 3 inch wide band dash active setup, with the current setup I have it dosent sound bad, it’s loud and clear, but I just don’t like the tonality of these JBL speakers no matter how I tune it.
It was pretty easy to put 8's in... Just sayin! :)

1585701533646.png

Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody with the base system tried installing a 4ohm/10w resistor on their aftermarket dash speakers? If so did it make an improvement since the factory stereo would see an “8ohm” load. Seems like the 4th gen guys had some success with this on their base systems.

Meglomachinist

Reaction score
Anyone had any issues with the PAC AP4-CH41 on no amplified non anc system? Installed mine today did the sleep cycles, and it isnt recognizing the can bus data for the volume knob. It flickers when changing source etc so it is recognizing can data there nonflicker for volume. Ran through some things while talking with the tech guys at PAC but no luck, they say bad unit Im just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Guess Ill wait for a new unit, just debating if I should just move on and run high level to the helix dsp and put the 280 bucks back in my wallet. I just feel dirty running high level.

Drago1978

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So is there anyone out there with the Fox acoustics sub box in there crewcab? I’m looking to see how it fit for you?
I ordered the Fox acoustics ported, down firing dual 10” subwoofer box. hopefully you guys can help. it’s a great looking well built box but my biggest issue is I didn’t realize it was completely flat on the bottom so it doesn’t accommodate any floor mats and I have the mopar slush mats that are a good inch thick Seems like I would need to raise my seat a good several inches.
So I’m torn i really can’t go without good floor mats because I need the protection with two small kids climbing in and out of the back seat that’s why I added the mopar floor mats.
I saw one person cut the mopar floor mat to fit the box but that’s a scary thought.
on the other hand it’s slim pickings for boxes that work with our truck so I just don’t know what todo??
open to suggestions....

Attachments

• 19A4021E-4629-49DA-B3DC-6B7B24BF2F9B.jpeg
    19A4021E-4629-49DA-B3DC-6B7B24BF2F9B.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 2174E832-A6A5-45C5-BB5D-20ED0F57F257.jpeg
    2174E832-A6A5-45C5-BB5D-20ED0F57F257.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 2EADA2D6-756B-46BC-82A1-4081E4D1B1AC.jpeg
    2EADA2D6-756B-46BC-82A1-4081E4D1B1AC.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 757896E4-585F-456A-87DE-FB5148FA9C9E.jpeg
    757896E4-585F-456A-87DE-FB5148FA9C9E.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 155

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So is there anyone out there with the Fox acoustics sub box in there crewcab? I’m looking to see how it fit for you?
I ordered the Fox acoustics ported, down firing dual 10” subwoofer box. hopefully you guys can help. it’s a great looking well built box but my biggest issue is I didn’t realize it was completely flat on the bottom so it doesn’t accommodate any floor mats and I have the mopar slush mats that are a good inch thick Seems like I would need to raise my seat a good several inches.
So I’m torn i really can’t go without good floor mats because I need the protection with two small kids climbing in and out of the back seat that’s why I added the mopar floor mats.
I saw one person cut the mopar floor mat to fit the box but that’s a scary thought.
on the other hand it’s slim pickings for boxes that work with our truck so I just don’t know what todo??
open to suggestions....
Mine fits fine and the seats fold down without issue. I didnt use the seat spacers either, I think it sits on edge of the mat but it doesnt affect anything. I have a bighorn so not sure if there is any difference. I have to go out and take some measurements for someone and I'll double check how mine sits.

Drago1978

Reaction score
Mine fits fine and the seats fold down without issue. I didnt use the seat spacers either, I think it sits on edge of the mat but it doesnt affect anything. I have a bighorn so not sure if there is any difference. I have to go out and take some measurements for someone and I'll double check how mine sits.
Hmmm crazy yeah there must be more room under the bighorn seats ? Maybe because mine has the reclining seats i don’t know ?? but I can’t even put my seats down without any floor mats. It looks like I’m going to need the spacers just to fit the box on bare carpet.

Edwinantrim

Reaction score
Thanks man! I don’t think we’re supposed to like getting older but I’m really happy with my age. Life is good!

Yes, my ANC seemed to create a similar weird response as yours... but hard to say if the same thing is happening of course.

Sequentially:

First, before speaker mods, my ANC had problems with passengers in the vehicle at low rpms, probably in conjunction with cylinder shutdown.

Second, after swapping just the 3.5s I experienced no additional ANC troubles.

Third, after swapping four 6x9s, the ANC repeatedly generated strong low frequency droning noises at very specific rpms... I could make it come and go by adjusting the rpm. My guesses at the cause:
A - ANC was always malfunctioning, needs to be replaced.
B - odd polarity wiring scheme resulted in me installing all 6 of my speakers out of phase with the ANC system.
C - new speakers have different response profile, throwing ANC way off.

I haven’t had time to test polarity, but I will be doing this to confirm or eliminate B... I will do this before asking the service department to troubleshoot A. I hope the system is designed well enough to deal with different speakers and not do C, but I just don’t know yet...

Did you just bypass the ANC and go straight to the radio?

Edwinantrim

Reaction score
It’s actually eight wires (first four on top and first four underneath them starting next to the red wire). I found it on Ramforums and did it about an hour ago. ANC and drone totally gone. Much clearer sound from the speakers too
did this stop the hands free mics?

Seadweller23

Reaction score
Six Speaker Audio System in my Bighorn. I was looking into replacing the front and back seat speakers with 6X9 Infinity Primus PR9613IS 3-way speakers. Crutchfield says these only fit in the back. A 1500 reviewer says they put them in the front also. Does anyone use these speakers currently and how do they sound? Trying to avoid putting in a sub. I have heard good things about the Reference series, then I came across these.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Six Speaker Audio System in my Bighorn. I was looking into replacing the front and back seat speakers with 6X9 Infinity Primus PR9613IS 3-way speakers. Crutchfield says these only fit in the back. A 1500 reviewer says they put them in the front also. Does anyone use these speakers currently and how do they sound? Trying to avoid putting in a sub. I have heard good things about the Reference series, then I came across these.
The infinity reference series fit in the front. Primus, I don't know. You need 1/4 inch spacers and some foam tape. I went to HD and bought 5/16 inch low compression weatherstrip tape. And 1/4 inch round spacers in hardware. This gave me the clearance needed in the back of the speaker and also the needed clearance so the speaker did not hit the door panel. You will need different screws. The flange is too wide on the stock ones. I tried the 1/2 inch spacer in the speaker box, but found the tweeter was just touching my door panel so I bought the 1/4 inch spacers. About $.85 for 2 in a bag. In hardware. So 4 bags and some tape about $6.00

jpj1980

Reaction score
Anyone had any issues with the PAC AP4-CH41 on no amplified non anc system? Installed mine today did the sleep cycles, and it isnt recognizing the can bus data for the volume knob. It flickers when changing source etc so it is recognizing can data there nonflicker for volume. Ran through some things while talking with the tech guys at PAC but no luck, they say bad unit Im just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue. Guess Ill wait for a new unit, just debating if I should just move on and run high level to the helix dsp and put the 280 bucks back in my wallet. I just feel dirty running high level.
I’m pretty sure the PAC AP4-CH41 doesn’t work for the base system. You need this https://netaudio.com/product/2019-up-dodge-ram-4-channel-amplifier-harness-with-anc/
This harness will give you your 4 speaker channel output and input.

jsampsell

Reaction score
Looking at PAC's website, it appears that the only difference between the AP4-CH41 v1 and v2 is that the v2 works with both amplified (Alpine and HK) and non-amplified (base) systems whereas the v1 was only amplified systems. Best Buy has the v1 on sale for $209 right now so I ordered it and then saw that the v1 was discontinued. That explains the discounted price but I also want to make sure that it will work for my HK system. Additionally, it appears that everyone that has posted so far about the AP4-CH41 was talking about the v1 before there was a v2 so, again, it seems that the v1 will work as expected without any issues.

By the way, if you order from Best Buy, make sure you search for AP4-CH41 and not Amp Pro or AmpPro because the first time I searched for Amp Pro and accidentally ordered the AP4-CH21 which won't work. They are both the same price so just be sure you order the right part number.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking at PAC's website, it appears that the only difference between the AP4-CH41 v1 and v2 is that the v2 works with both amplified (Alpine and HK) and non-amplified (base) systems whereas the v1 was only amplified systems. Best Buy has the v1 on sale for $209 right now so I ordered it and then saw that the v1 was discontinued. That explains the discounted price but I also want to make sure that it will work for my HK system. Additionally, it appears that everyone that has posted so far about the AP4-CH41 was talking about the v1 before there was a v2 so, again, it seems that the v1 will work as expected without any issues.

By the way, if you order from Best Buy, make sure you search for AP4-CH41 and not Amp Pro or AmpPro because the first time I searched for Amp Pro and accidentally ordered the AP4-CH21 which won't work. They are both the same price so just be sure you order the right part number.
I think I will order one of these as well. I hope someone else has used V1 with the HK system.

Users who are viewing this thread