5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

KRField

Reaction score
Hey all, just recently purchased a 2020 bighorn with the 6 speaker system with the anc.
Ive been searching these threads for several hrs now and I cant seem to find what I'm looking for.
I'm wanting to install my powered jl audio sub under the back seat, I know I'll need to bypass the anc and also use a LOC for signal, but what I keep reading is everybody says the anc module is under the drivers seat.
I have nothing bolted to the floor under my drivers or passenger seat, being a 2020 has ram moved it to a different location?
I need to know where its at because I'm wanting to buy this and I want to confirm the plugs are correct.

Do you have the hemi or pentastar?
Hemi has ANC and Pentastar does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Do you have the hemi or pentastar?
Hemi has ANC and Pentastar does not.

Mine has the 3.0 eco diesel, I assume I have the ANC I have the mics in the headliner.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think the ANC is only a Hemi thing to offset noise of the MDS exhaust noise.

Your right!, I went and checked it again, what I thought were mics were actually plastic covers for the rear airbags.
So since It appears I don't have the ANC how do I go about hooking up my powered sub?
I'm thinking of just getting a LOC and tieing it into one of the rear speakers and then just run my power and ground to the amp, is that doable with my truck??

KRField

Reaction score
Your right!, I went and checked it again, what I thought were mics were actually plastic covers for the rear airbags.
So since It appears I don't have the ANC how do I go about hooking up my powered sub?
I'm thinking of just getting a LOC and tieing it into one of the rear speakers and then just run my power and ground to the amp, is that doable with my truck??

Yeah that would work. I would recommend the audio control LC2i or wavetec LOC. If all you plan is adding bass

natsb

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be much mention of the rear headliner speakers that come with the Alpine system. It looks like the perfect place for after market tweeters. Are these speakers generally ignored because the location is just too much trouble to deal with?

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Yeah that would work. I would recommend the audio control LC2i or wavetec LOC. If all you plan is adding bass

Thanks for your help, wanted to make sure before I went and spend money on a LOC.

Thatsme06

Reaction score
The thread is crowded and confusing - all the different systems require different solutions. The good news is, the non-alpine 6 speaker is the easiest to work with - all you need is a bare-bones line output converter or an amp with high level inputs as a minimum. And resistors if your LOC or AMP doesn't present a load.

I bought the Dayton 4x8 DSP, it does both LOC and DSP functions for me while presenting a slight load, so didn't need the resistors I bought; I love it.
So just to be clear you do have your high level speaker signals going directly into the DSP-408? I ordered the same Dayton DSP but some people were complaing about the high level inputs not working well? The reason I went with the DSP was to avoid spending money on a LOC if not needed.

Bram2019

Reaction score
Update on my install of a complete upgrade from a base 6 with ANC.
I've not had a single issue with Polarity or anything at this point. Picked up the ANC bypass plug that I intend on using to tap for my sub install once they arrive. Dash and Doors couldn't have been more simple. I picked up the speakers from Crutchfield and got the converter plugs for free with the purchase. Really just plug and play. No polarity issues and honestly reading this thread made me much more concerned than I needed to be in the end. Not to say the Sub install won't present it's own issues but I'll update when that's completed. Don't over think it folks. Maybe because I'm not concerned with keeping the ANC I've not had some of the issues others talk about.
Which speakers did you use in the front doors. Leaving toward 6.5 inch because of clearance. Did you find 6x9s that fit in the front doors properly

RichInMN

Reaction score
So just to be clear you do have your high level speaker signals going directly into the DSP-408? I ordered the same Dayton DSP but some people were complaing about the high level inputs not working well? The reason I went with the DSP was to avoid spending money on a LOC if not needed.
Works great for me and a few other folks on this board have gone the same route - speaker leads come from the head unit and are accessed under the driver seat prior to entering the ANC. I bought the PAC harness for ease of wiring, I recommend it even though it's pricey. I think there's now an "ANC bypass" harness that's a little cheaper. Good luck with everything!

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Hey all so came from a 4th gen to a 2019 which has the base 6 speaker setup with 8.4. With the 4th there was a pretty complete writeup with speakers that worked as stock replacements, is there anything like that for the 5th gens yet

Thatsme06

Reaction score
Works great for me and a few other folks on this board have gone the same route - speaker leads come from the head unit and are accessed under the driver seat prior to entering the ANC. I bought the PAC harness for ease of wiring, I recommend it even though it's pricey. I think there's now an "ANC bypass" harness that's a little cheaper. Good luck with everything!
Perfect that's what I wanted to hear. I've already done the harness and ANC bypass, speaker swap etc. but I purchased the fox box so doing a different sub setup now. Also going to install Morel components in front with tweeter in dash rather than the 6x9 and 3.5 in there currently as well as 6.5 Morels in the rear. My current setup is in my sig below for reference. Did you get the BT dongle with it and do you feel its necessary?

RichInMN

Reaction score
Perfect that's what I wanted to hear. I've already done the harness and ANC bypass, speaker swap etc. but I purchased the fox box so doing a different sub setup now. Also going to install Morel components in front with tweeter in dash rather than the 6x9 and 3.5 in there currently as well as 6.5 Morels in the rear. My current setup is in my sig below for reference. Did you get the BT dongle with it and do you feel its necessary?
I definitely recommend the Bluetooth, I did a ton of adjusting and tweaking the first 6 months, it would have been a real pain to plug in a laptop every time. Well worth it in my opinion.

SgtM

Reaction score
Which speakers did you use in the front doors. Leaving toward 6.5 inch because of clearance. Did you find 6x9s that fit in the front doors properly
I went with 6 x 9 in both front and back doors. I went with the Kicker 43DSC69304 DS Series 6"x9" 3-way car speakers Item and have had no clearance issues. Just make sure to ziptie the wires down so you don't end up getting them unplugged inadvertently when your window is all the way down. They are a snug fit in because the holes don't line up perfectly but if you start one then put all the others in before tightening them down, it goes in without issue.

Bram2019

Reaction score
I went with 6 x 9 in both front and back doors. I went with the Kicker 43DSC69304 DS Series 6"x9" 3-way car speakers Item and have had no clearance issues. Just make sure to ziptie the wires down so you don't end up getting them unplugged inadvertently when your window is all the way down. They are a snug fit in because the holes don't line up perfectly but if you start one then put all the others in before tightening them down, it goes in without issue.
You did not need to shim the front speakers to clear the windows. The reason I ask is because the specs say the depth is 3 1/4 inches. Seems pretty deep. As long as they fit, I want to buy these. Not many options in the 6x9 for front doors.

ST3500

Reaction score
You did not need to shim the front speakers to clear the windows. The reason I ask is because the specs say the depth is 3 1/4 inches. Seems pretty deep. As long as they fit, I want to buy these. Not many options in the 6x9 for front doors.

This one is a very fine 6x9 speaker option
Audiofrog 6x9.JPG

eaglewindspirit

Reaction score
See attached.
None of those match my system - I have 2019 Laramie with Alpine, but no factory sub woofer under back seat. Can it be added? or can I tap audio to feed an after market system? If so, where on the amp module under the driver's seat?

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
None of those match my system - I have 2019 Laramie with Alpine, but no factory sub woofer under back seat. Can it be added? or can I tap audio to feed an after market system? If so, where on the amp module under the driver's seat?
I believe the Subwoofer is behind the rear passenger seat not under it like on the 4th gen.

dano257

Reaction score
Anyone with experience using one of the NetAudio harnesses to add an amp to the base system willing to post a picture of the connection under the seat? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread