5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

ST3500

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find 15’ of black rj14 cable? I swear it’s like trying to find a unicorn. I need it for my bass knob and rj11 won’t work. Fits in the plug but missing two conductors.

I’m half tempted to buy a new rux knob from alpine and call it a day. Frustrating not being about to find a simple cable.

Is this what you're looking for ?
RJ14.JPG

ST3500

Reaction score
Yeah but 15’

It appears to be some confusion in the telephone cable industry in regards if RJ 14 and RJ 11
RJ 11 and RJ14 are the same physical size and design connectors, RJ11 originally had 2 conductors for a single line, and RJ14 had 4 conductors for 2 telephone lines. The connectors themselves have a total of 6 pins. For RJ 11: 4 pins were blank and 2 pins were functional, for RJ 14: 2 pins were blank and 4 pins were functional.
In our days: you can find RJ11 with 4 conductors and 4 functional pins in the connector wired for 2 telephone lines (2 pairs), that should work as a replacement for RJ14.

I found an vendor for you that claims to sell a RJ11 with 4 conductors (see the item description on the second picture).
****** It would be wise that you call them to confirm it will work for your purpose !! **

RJ11-1.JPG

RJ11-2.JPG

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup here’s the fun part, I called Alpine and asked if they had extras. One guy told me it’s just rj45 (it’s not, he had no idea) another guy told me “standard phone wire, 4 conductor” but i have verified rj11 doesn’t work. Rj14 is what I need, which has 6 conductor. Whole process is pretty irritating.

I found a bass knob at crutchfield that comes with an rj14 cable for $10 I might buy and try it out.

Meglomachinist

Reaction score
My Helix just arrived from Germany earlier this week.
I did a quick install and tune setup during the week (limited time in the evenings).
I am very impressed in how good those stock HK speakers do sound after just some basic tuning !!!

View attachment 46094

View attachment 46095

Blue line is the subwoofer, green line are the 6x9's and the red line are the 3.5".

View attachment 46096

View attachment 46097
Yeah helix dsp is a life changing experience. Glad to see some other folks with the bug.

ST3500

Reaction score
Thanks to Mobile Toys Inc in College Station, Texas!

It looks very nice, congratulations !!
I have a small question: how does it sounds ??

I've seen an MTI box at my local car audio shop. I admit that the craftsmanship is excellent !! The upholstery work is phenomenal, box construction is rock solid, but when I took a look at the inside (the box had the subwoofers removed) ...….. it's quite small....

Honestly, aside from its glamorous look, how does it sound ??

ST3500

Reaction score
Yeah helix dsp is a life changing experience. Glad to see some other folks with the bug.

I'm very impressed in how good the factory speakers sound since I've been playing with my Helix DSP.
I have been a "Focal speakers afficionado" for the past decade, and when I purchased my truck I knew that soon or later I would go Focal speakers all around.

Well, I'm glad that I did "source signal upgrades" at first, because right now: I really can't justify the need of upgrading the factory speakers (except for the subwoofer, of course).

The phonically nature of our crew cabs (physical dimensions vs speakers location) has a tendency to over resonate all frequencies from 75 Hz. to 150 Hz. Those crossover points (doors 6x9 speakers to subwoofer) needs to be spread apart in order to lower that mid-bass "resonance" (notorious on all 4 RAM crew cabs that I owned in the past 20 years), that at times can be quite annoying.

Now, I have a fun challenge ahead of me: there is a small "offending frequency" in the mid to high frequencies that I have a hard time to pinpoint its source. In a way I was expecting some difficulties to fine tune 5 tweeters in the front part of the cab. It's hard enough to properly align 2 tweeters, none the less have to deal with 5 tweeters.... !!
So... it is time for me to pull out my good old Steinberg UR12 and the dbx RTA microphone for some pink / white noise diagnostic..... that's going to be interesting to see how far did I do just by hear.

If anyone else in this forum is tuning with a DSP : please come forward and share your experiences.

Cheers to all !

airvista66

Reaction score
Just get a custom down firing box built with 2 JL 10TW3-D4’s and enjoy the new option of massaging chairs for *** passengers..this upgrade is incredible if you like deep lows in your music.
Got to know who made this box and how much? Super clean.

Meglomachinist

Reaction score
I'm very impressed in how good the factory speakers sound since I've been playing with my Helix DSP.
I have been a "Focal speakers afficionado" for the past decade, and when I purchased my truck I knew that soon or later I would go Focal speakers all around.

Well, I'm glad that I did "source signal upgrades" at first, because right now: I really can't justify the need of upgrading the factory speakers (except for the subwoofer, of course).

The phonically nature of our crew cabs (physical dimensions vs speakers location) has a tendency to over resonate all frequencies from 75 Hz. to 150 Hz. Those crossover points (doors 6x9 speakers to subwoofer) needs to be spread apart in order to lower that mid-bass "resonance" (notorious on all 4 RAM crew cabs that I owned in the past 20 years), that at times can be quite annoying.

Now, I have a fun challenge ahead of me: there is a small "offending frequency" in the mid to high frequencies that I have a hard time to pinpoint its source. In a way I was expecting some difficulties to fine tune 5 tweeters in the front part of the cab. It's hard enough to properly align 2 tweeters, none the less have to deal with 5 tweeters.... !!
So... it is time for me to pull out my good old Steinberg UR12 and the dbx RTA microphone for some pink / white noise diagnostic..... that's going to be interesting to see how far did I do just by hear.

If anyone else in this forum is tuning with a DSP : please come forward and share your experiences.

Cheers to all !
Thanks for all the details. Im sure Im going to be spending lots of time with the audiocontrol RTA sitting in the truck, when it gets here tuning and tweeking, although I am gutting my factory speakers. As the procesa moves along Ill keep you all posted.

Meglomachinist

Reaction score
Another piece of the puzzle came today, image dynamics idq shallow mount...still waiting on the truck. Its currently on the testbench burning in on a test tone. Very impressed with the build quality, and made in usa.

Attachments

• 0208201001a_HDR.jpg
    0208201001a_HDR.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 0208201001_HDR.jpg
    0208201001_HDR.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 0208201000.jpg
    0208201000.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 131

Neglakayo

Reaction score
I have the installation manual for all 3 stereo systems in our trucks if anyone wants it I can email it to you. Also has the wiring diagram for all 3 systems with wire colors.

DM me your email and I’ll send it to you.
Hi, can you email me the manual for the Alpine Premium system with the 9 speakers + sub. Thank you.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Hey all, just recently purchased a 2020 bighorn with the 6 speaker system with the anc.
Ive been searching these threads for several hrs now and I cant seem to find what I'm looking for.
I'm wanting to install my powered jl audio sub under the back seat, I know I'll need to bypass the anc and also use a LOC for signal, but what I keep reading is everybody says the anc module is under the drivers seat.
I have nothing bolted to the floor under my drivers or passenger seat, being a 2020 has ram moved it to a different location?
I need to know where its at because I'm wanting to buy this and I want to confirm the plugs are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread