5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

boom3198

Reaction score
You have any pics of the installation? Going a similar route and want to see how your box design was done... thanks
I can upload pics later. But basically the 3500 still has the rear underseat dish pockets unlike the flat-ish floor of the new 1500s. But The build was pretty straightforward. Took a sheet of mdf and cut it 24x 61. had to cut slits for where the seat brackets sit and a hole in the front that kinda looks like the racetrack lights on the back of a durango or charger where the pockets are. Traced and cut the front profile to match the seats when theyre folded down. Lined the carpet with masking tape and plastic drop cloth (so no glass/resin gets on the carpet). laid the glass in the pockets and overlapped the mdf about 2 inches. Traced the whole front edge with curves onto three more pieces of mdf to stack and continue the curve of the bottom plate and gain depth on the front. The back has no stacking so the top plate slants back to allow the seats to fold down and attaches directly to the bottom plate. cut angle pieces for the slots for the seat brackets and another 24x61 piece for the top plate. Traced cardboard and cut support/anti-flex piece for the middle. Glue, screw, cut sub hole, contact glue and carpet. Probably sounds worse than what it is, but longest time was in waiting for the 4 layers of glass and resin to harden. You'll have resin smell for about a week until it fully cures, but it allows for a way bigger sub, depth and magnet diameter-wise, and if you do the whole underseat area like i did you end up with about 2 cu ft of space.

Last edited:

RichInMN

Reaction score
So just to be clear, I cannot use a step down on the rear speaker wire and install an amp? There is way too much info on here and some of it is very contradicting. I guess what I am asking is a cut and dry way to hook up an amp and subwoofers to the factory (non alpine) 6 speaker system with the 8” head unit.
The thread is crowded and confusing - all the different systems require different solutions. The good news is, the non-alpine 6 speaker is the easiest to work with - all you need is a bare-bones line output converter or an amp with high level inputs as a minimum. And resistors if your LOC or AMP doesn't present a load.

I bought the Dayton 4x8 DSP, it does both LOC and DSP functions for me while presenting a slight load, so didn't need the resistors I bought; I love it.

MDHammer

Reaction score
I am installing these Kenwood Excelon KFC-X6903c component Direct Replacement speakers Saturday along with a pair of Excelon KFC-X694 co-axial 6x9's in the rear doors. I first tried the Kicker 43CSC354 3 1/2 inch in the dash but the metal tweeter is just a little too harsh for my tastes. The Kenwood Excelon 3 1/2 is using a Silk Balanced Dome tweeter. I used to use only Kenwood way back in the day.....like the 1980's kinda days. And I still listen to Rock from back then - Maiden, Priest, Scorps, ZZ Top so I am hoping it sounds good.
Very interested to hear how you like the Kenwood KFC-XP6903C setup. I’m considering this as well, don’t want to mess w amps yet, just want better sound at reasonable cost. Thanks in advance

sjsleuth

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I know my truck does have anc or at least as far as I know it does. When you say mess with polarity of the speakers what do you mean or what did you have to do?
Did you ever do your speaker mod? If so how did it go? Any problems?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The thread is crowded and confusing - all the different systems require different solutions. The good news is, the non-alpine 6 speaker is the easiest to work with - all you need is a bare-bones line output converter or an amp with high level inputs as a minimum. And resistors if your LOC or AMP doesn't present a load.

I bought the Dayton 4x8 DSP, it does both LOC and DSP functions for me while presenting a slight load, so didn't need the resistors I bought; I love it.

It really is, it wasn’t a good idea to do a thread on 5th gen stereo upgrades for all 4 different systems and 4 different stereos all in one thread. So hard to follow instructions and ideas.

Soldierguy

Reaction score
Did you ever do your speaker mod? If so how did it go? Any problems?
Yes I went with
Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx for the dash Infinity Reference REF-9632ix for the front doors
Infinity Reference REF-9633ix for the rear doors Metra 72-7902 Speaker Wiring Adapters for dash Metra 71-050 Speaker Wiring Adapters for doors
I have not had issues with ANC. They seem to sound good but I do notice some distortion when I start to turn it up louder. I did not reverse any of the speaker wires and I did notice that to positive and negative seemed different than what was hooked up ok the speaker I installed. I called crutchfield and they said they had not heard anything about having reverse polarity and that if I hear the music coming out of the speaker that I was fine so I finished booking them up without changing anything. Now I read more into this thread and found mixed info about the polarity. So I used the app speaker polarity(speaker pop) to briefly test my speakers with the truck running and found some said they were reverse polarity. So I am going to later when I have more time to mess with them I’m gong to see if there is any difference between the truck running and just on accessory. Maybe the ANC has something to do with the change in polarity and one would think that the ANC should not do anything when the truck is in accessory and not running. Maybe that is why people are getting mixed issues. Btw I have the base 6 speaker system.

KidCutti

Reaction score
Custom down firing box holding 2 JL 10TW3’s. If you are doing subs remember that you can gain more by firing down vs firing into the seats. Sounds very clean and mean!

Attachments

• 968F7F82-E38D-4724-A61B-1535C0AAA2D1.jpeg
    968F7F82-E38D-4724-A61B-1535C0AAA2D1.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 194
  • EC2B5503-3E80-41B0-A06F-E1C4B6D8974E.jpeg
    EC2B5503-3E80-41B0-A06F-E1C4B6D8974E.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 188

sjsleuth

Reaction score
Yes I went with
Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx for the dash Infinity Reference REF-9632ix for the front doors
Infinity Reference REF-9633ix for the rear doors Metra 72-7902 Speaker Wiring Adapters for dash Metra 71-050 Speaker Wiring Adapters for doors
I have not had issues with ANC. They seem to sound good but I do notice some distortion when I start to turn it up louder. I did not reverse any of the speaker wires and I did notice that to positive and negative seemed different than what was hooked up ok the speaker I installed. I called crutchfield and they said they had not heard anything about having reverse polarity and that if I hear the music coming out of the speaker that I was fine so I finished booking them up without changing anything. Now I read more into this thread and found mixed info about the polarity. So I used the app speaker polarity(speaker pop) to briefly test my speakers with the truck running and found some said they were reverse polarity. So I am going to later when I have more time to mess with them I’m gong to see if there is any difference between the truck running and just on accessory. Maybe the ANC has something to do with the change in polarity and one would think that the ANC should not do anything when the truck is in accessory and not running. Maybe that is why people are getting mixed issues. Btw I have the base 6 speaker system.
Thanks for the update.

sjsleuth

Reaction score
I have the 6 speaker system and replaced all 6 speakers with recommendations listed here. I have CDT 69S 2 ohm speakers in all of the doors and I currently have JL C2 3.5”, 4 ohm, 83 dB sensitivity (bass blockers installed) in the dash. The dash speakers seem to be too bright and also too loud. I have also tried infinity reference and Hertz Dcx 87.3s. Both were too bright. Does anyone have a recommendation to remedy this? I understand they are wired in parallel with the front door speakers. I just can’t understand why they are so much louder than the doors with the doors being 2 ohm.
I read in this thread somewhere that you need resistors on the dash speaker to up the impedance, which should lower the volume.

KJC12

Reaction score
I too am confused by this thread. Is there anyone out there who can break this down simply for me?

I have a 19 CC w/ the 8.4 non Nav 6 speaker system along with the ANC. I really like the ANC and don't want to lose it if I can help it however, my stock audio system is terrible. Are there specific speakers that I can replace to improve the sound quality? If not and an FIX86 type processor and amp is the way to go, is there a way to do that while keeping the ANC?

Soldierguy

Reaction score
I too am confused by this thread. Is there anyone out there who can break this down simply for me?

I have a 19 CC w/ the 8.4 non Nav 6 speaker system along with the ANC. I really like the ANC and don't want to lose it if I can help it however, my stock audio system is terrible. Are there specific speakers that I can replace to improve the sound quality? If not and an FIX86 type processor and amp is the way to go, is there a way to do that while keeping the ANC?
Update
Well I can tell you today that I had changed all 6 speakers and if you see my prior post I left everything the way it came with the metra wires and stuff. The speakers sounded ok but didn’t seem quite right. So my polarity test on all of them was reversed. I used the app to check. So I went and switched all the pins of the metra wiring harnesses and parked my system sounded awesome. So I thought everything was fixed. I went for a drive and yeah the ANC was making the droning sound and let me tell you it is bad. So I tried to disconnect the wires to the mics under the drivers seat that I found in another thread but I couldn’t get them to unpin. So decided to pull the ANC mics out in the roof liners pull on them some until you get to the plug and unplug them. I did this to all 4, put the mics back in unplugged and it worked. Went for a drive and no more droning sound. So I guess if you want your speakers to work right you will have to disable the ANC.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
Thank you everyone who has posted all this information. Just got a 1500 Laramie Quad Cab with the 12” Alpine 9 Speaker setup.

Sounds like the DSR1 is the way to go to retain as many factory options as possible. Can anyone confirm they are running a DSR1 with a new amp while keeping ANC functionality?

Also, folks who have done this, what amps play nice with DSR1?

Thanks again, looking forward to contributing where I can.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update
Well I can tell you today that I had changed all 6 speakers and if you see my prior post I left everything the way it came with the metra wires and stuff. The speakers sounded ok but didn’t seem quite right. So my polarity test on all of them was reversed. I used the app to check. So I went and switched all the pins of the metra wiring harnesses and parked my system sounded awesome. So I thought everything was fixed. I went for a drive and yeah the ANC was making the droning sound and let me tell you it is bad. So I tried to disconnect the wires to the mics under the drivers seat that I found in another thread but I couldn’t get them to unpin. So decided to pull the ANC mics out in the roof liners pull on them some until you get to the plug and unplug them. I did this to all 4, put the mics back in unplugged and it worked. Went for a drive and no more droning sound. So I guess if you want your speakers to work right you will have to disable the ANC.

In your honest opinion how much better is your overall sound, highs, mids and bass by just replacing all the speakers

C.AdamsMo.RAM

Reaction score
Man you guys aren't kidding! 43 pages of jumbled mess!! Lol is there anyway we can start a new thread on the separate systems listing known information? I sure appreciate everything that has gone into this thread but I've been digging and digging here and I'm not sure what I even know anymore! Haha anyone know if it's possible to consolidate the relevant info we have here into their respective groups?
I have the base 6 sp. setup with 8.4 screen with anc. I want to add a sub, even if it has to be one of those self contained amp/sub slim boxes I can put behind back seat to save on space, but i also would like to upgrade door speakers. Doing them on another amp is probably gonna get expensive fast and more complicated with this whole anc system under the seat... I can only find one 6x9 speaker that has 2 ohms impedance and they are $199/pair.. would upgrading to a 4 ohm 6x9 have much an effect running on stock stereo? I just want a little more out of this thing and the speakers start sounding like crap over 27 on the volume. Is it possible to put better speakers in that could turn up all the way without distorting? And add a small sub to supplement if i feel like it needs it? Mostly should i get the 2 ohm speaker? And if i chose the 4 ohm, would it be very good? I'll probably have to disconnect the anc at the speakers hugh?

sjsleuth

Reaction score
Man you guys aren't kidding! 43 pages of jumbled mess!! Lol is there anyway we can start a new thread on the separate systems listing known information? I sure appreciate everything that has gone into this thread but I've been digging and digging here and I'm not sure what I even know anymore! Haha anyone know if it's possible to consolidate the relevant info we have here into their respective groups?
I have the base 6 sp. setup with 8.4 screen with anc. I want to add a sub, even if it has to be one of those self contained amp/sub slim boxes I can put behind back seat to save on space, but i also would like to upgrade door speakers. Doing them on another amp is probably gonna get expensive fast and more complicated with this whole anc system under the seat... I can only find one 6x9 speaker that has 2 ohms impedance and they are $199/pair.. would upgrading to a 4 ohm 6x9 have much an effect running on stock stereo? I just want a little more out of this thing and the speakers start sounding like crap over 27 on the volume. Is it possible to put better speakers in that could turn up all the way without distorting? And add a small sub to supplement if i feel like it needs it? Mostly should i get the 2 ohm speaker? And if i chose the 4 ohm, would it be very good? I'll probably have to disconnect the anc at the speakers hugh?
I was going to post the same exact thing everything needs to be separated

Soldierguy

Reaction score
In your honest opinion how much better is your overall sound, highs, mids and bass by just replacing all the speakers
It is better all around but still could use some more bass. I have to say looking in here and even videos I have seen of people changing speakers out in these trucks that there is so many different variables. I have seen a video of a guy changing speakers out in his ram base 6 speaker and had really cheap green paper cone speakers. The only thing that I could tell by the video is that he must have had a V6 Ram so that would not have ANC. My truck has the base 6 speaker but I have the 5.7 Hemi with ANC and the speakers were blue plastic cone which look like the same ones that come out of the alpine systems. My system didn’t sound bad just not great.

taz2016

Reaction score
I wanted a simple inexpensive improvement to my stock system.
I first tried replacing the dash speakers with Infinity REF-3032cfx. The Infinitys come with a high pass filter. As much as I like that brand of speakers tomorrow I'll be returning mine.
The stock front speakers are 8 ohm. The Infinitys are 3 ohm. Between that difference and the Infinitys higher efficiency they were much louder than stock. As a disclaimer I did not use the high pass filter for my quick test. Using pink noise from a CD the Infinitys were 9 dB louder than stock. The dash speakers are wired with the front door speakers so using the systems fader to cut front volume also reduces the volume of the front door speakers. After dropping the dash speakers to a volume that would not overdrive them, the front door speakers volume was reduced to an almost useless volume and the rear door speakers were easily overdriven at higher volumes. A bass blocker would have helped but at that time I did not have any to try. I did not believe the Infinity supplied 196 Hz high pass filters would have made enough difference to even try them.
I have since ordered and installed Kicker 44KSC3504 dash speakers. They are 4 ohm and less efficient than the Infinitys. In combination with 600 Hz Bass Blockers they work much better. With the fader centered they measured 3 dB louder than stock. With the fader one setting towards the rear the dash speakers were 1.5 dB louder than stock which is how I'll probably leave them. The stock system was definitely lacking in the higher frequencies to my admittedly old ears.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Thank you everyone who has posted all this information. Just got a 1500 Laramie Quad Cab with the 12” Alpine 9 Speaker setup.

Sounds like the DSR1 is the way to go to retain as many factory options as possible. Can anyone confirm they are running a DSR1 with a new amp while keeping ANC functionality?

Also, folks who have done this, what amps play nice with DSR1?

Thanks again, looking forward to contributing where I can.
im running dsr1 with all aftermarket amps. you can not use anc with dsr1 setup. anc is built into factory amp.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
im running dsr1 with all aftermarket amps. you can not use anc with dsr1 setup. anc is built into factory amp.
Ah okay thank you. I was thinking a little bit more about that yesterday and I realize now that there wouldn't be any way to do that given the wiring diagrams that I found on here.

I think I'd rather have better sound than a quiet cabin. Same with you?

sjsleuth

Reaction score
It is better all around but still could use some more bass. I have to say looking in here and even videos I have seen of people changing speakers out in these trucks that there is so many different variables. I have seen a video of a guy changing speakers out in his ram base 6 speaker and had really cheap green paper cone speakers. The only thing that I could tell by the video is that he must have had a V6 Ram so that would not have ANC. My truck has the base 6 speaker but I have the 5.7 Hemi with ANC and the speakers were blue plastic cone which look like the same ones that come out of the alpine systems. My system didn’t sound bad just not great.

Users who are viewing this thread