5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

Gtouts0810

Reaction score
Quick question I have a v6 ETorque with base 6 speaker system and I don't think I have ANC there is no module under my seat. In order to add a sub do I just. need to tap into the rear speaker wires.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read through your previous build. I too have the Alpine system. I used the PAC Amp Pro CH41. And put in 3 way components, and a pair of Si BM MKv subs in a custom enclosure underseat. And did rear fill. Just upgraded my Mini Dsp 8x12 to Dirac Live so well see how that goes.

One thing that confused me, in terms of ANC, did you have to disconnect or depin anything?
No... I left the ANC connected on the amp so that the rear speakers would continue to work with ANC, although I had everything faded up front most of the time. The factory sub was disconnected, so that prevented the ANC in the sub from working, which was mostly exhaust. It wasn't bad, but I noticed it more when I was listening to sports talk shows, etc.

Dirac Live is no doubt the ticket for a great setup... love it. I have it in my home audio room system and it hardly gets any better.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question I have a v6 ETorque with base 6 speaker system and I don't think I have ANC there is no module under my seat. In order to add a sub do I just. need to tap into the rear speaker wires.
Yep... use something like the JL Audio LoC-22 ... or some amps have speaker level inputs as well. EDIT: NO... don't use this ... see notes farther down.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep sure enough, you need to order the 5.7 e-torque to get the 9-speaker with subwoofer. Looks like the sub needs the extra amps LOL.
I must've got jipped...I have the Bighorn Etorque and was told the 9 speaker system wasn't an option ... :cautious:

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
After much research and searching these forums, I have decided on items below to install. I intend on keeping the truck a long, long time (2020 BH 2WD). If you dont have time to do it right the first time, you surely dont have time to do it a second. Ive done avionics work on aircraft starting in military and now on civilian aircraft for 20 years. So when I do wiring, I apply same standards on automobiles as aircraft. Regardless, I look to wire for future and didnt want equipment that I would have to exchange out to increase capabilities.
-There are so many options available in speakers, I havent decided yet. I wanted to get the LOC and amplfier installed prior to choosing. Then Ill build speakers around the amplifier.

-Sound Ordnance M75-4. I needed a four channel. I havent heard of this company, but it seemed to have great reviews. Why not give it a shot? Essentially, I will have two amplifiers(speakers and sub). As of now, I wanted to get speakers in order prior to sub. This amplifier is also compact (7" x 4" x 1.73"). I am going to see if I can install under the driver seat. I will be using a honeycomb for shelf that we use on aircraft, with nutplate inserts and see if I can standoff under the seat.

-Secondly, I ordered a DS18 5 Channel LOC. My thought process, if this one fails, I can still purchase another and still be under the cost of a LC6i. I just need 5 channels and this price point was appealing.

-Lastly, I'm most eager with the wiring. I will be bypassing the ANC module with a harness and then I will be wiring from the amp back to each speaker. I have yet to decide to keep speakers paralleled. I could get two ohm and put in series. More research to do. Also, the power going from the battery to the amp is so critical. I didnt even buy one of the installation kits, I pieced out what I need to better quality stuff. It looked like some of these kits were lacking. At least on the lower end side.

Ill take photos of the layering/stacking components under driver seat. I may have resort behind back seat.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looking forward to your install... be sure to start a fresh thread so we can follow it.

Yep... use something like the JL Audio LoC-22 ... or some amps have speaker level inputs as well.
FWIW... I can no longer recommend using the LoC-22 with the subwoofer speaker leads due to amplifying the ANC thru the subwoofer. See my build thread (this post) for full details.

805myth1

Reaction score
After much research and searching these forums, I have decided on items below to install. I intend on keeping the truck a long, long time (2020 BH 2WD). If you dont have time to do it right the first time, you surely dont have time to do it a second. Ive done avionics work on aircraft starting in military and now on civilian aircraft for 20 years. So when I do wiring, I apply same standards on automobiles as aircraft. Regardless, I look to wire for future and didnt want equipment that I would have to exchange out to increase capabilities.
-There are so many options available in speakers, I havent decided yet. I wanted to get the LOC and amplfier installed prior to choosing. Then Ill build speakers around the amplifier.

-Sound Ordnance M75-4. I needed a four channel. I havent heard of this company, but it seemed to have great reviews. Why not give it a shot? Essentially, I will have two amplifiers(speakers and sub). As of now, I wanted to get speakers in order prior to sub. This amplifier is also compact (7" x 4" x 1.73"). I am going to see if I can install under the driver seat. I will be using a honeycomb for shelf that we use on aircraft, with nutplate inserts and see if I can standoff under the seat.

-Secondly, I ordered a DS18 5 Channel LOC. My thought process, if this one fails, I can still purchase another and still be under the cost of a LC6i. I just need 5 channels and this price point was appealing.

-Lastly, I'm most eager with the wiring. I will be bypassing the ANC module with a harness and then I will be wiring from the amp back to each speaker. I have yet to decide to keep speakers paralleled. I could get two ohm and put in series. More research to do. Also, the power going from the battery to the amp is so critical. I didnt even buy one of the installation kits, I pieced out what I need to better quality stuff. It looked like some of these kits were lacking. At least on the lower end side.

Ill take photos of the layering/stacking components under driver seat. I may have resort behind back seat.

I will be interested on how it works out. I was hesitant to install my lc7i due to not all warnings, alerts and features will not be available without any connection to the data bus.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After reading through and seeing different setups to add amp, sub and upgrade speakers for my 2020 Ram with Alpine 9 speaker system I just need to get the PAC AP4-CH41 (R.2) and PAC ANC-CH01 correct? Or is there anything else needed?

its all i did.;)

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes! but no sub.believe it ot not.it sounds fine with out it.sounds like there is one there o_O .not sure why but all i know it sounds....:love:!
Fully agree, although I've added a sub, it sounds very good without one. These RAM trucks could easily be one of best sounding bass trucks without a sub.

imryanthompson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've probably read this full thread a few times over. Such great info. I have a question related to the different ANC bypass harnesses out there.

I have a 2019 BigHorn with the 8.4 Uconnect 6 speaker non-amplified with ANC under the seat.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the PAC ANC-CH01 and the iDatalink bCH3 bypasses? I've noticed the PAC version has a 22 pin plug that goes back into the ANC, whereas the bCH3 simply plugs the 22pin connector (that goes into the ANC) into one end the adapter harness and the 16 pin plug (that goes into the ANC) into the other end of the harness and leaves nothing that plugs back into the ANC.

I have a bCH3 on order from Crutchfield and there were numerous reviews from 2019 Ram owners claiming that it effectively bypassed the ANC. However, it makes me wonder; what's the significance of the few wires that are running back into the ANC via the 22pin connector on the PAC ANC-CH01 adapter?

Does anyone have experience using the bCH3? If so, does it work? Were you able to retain all hand free functions and radio control. Any details/learnings would be great.

For additional context: I'm looking to connect a Kicker Key 180.4 using the bCH3 at the ANC unit. From there, I plan to bi-amp my infinity ref 3.5 (dash) and CDT 6x9subcf(door)-- (both already installed). I'll be running new speaker wire from the dash 3.5s to achieve this. Then I plan to run the rears (cdt 6x9s - already installed) off the factory radio rear channel. My hope is that this gives me a nice robust front soundstage with great imaging via the Key's built in DSP and active crossover and leveling provided when bi-amping a set of speakers in this manner. From there I'll likely add a slim 10" sub to fill in the low end.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited:

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan to actually compare them... one in the left front door with one in the right front door, faded to the front, and moving the balance from left to right to see if in fact I can hear a noticeable difference in bass and mid-bass output... plus I'll also play a couple of songs with extreme bass at loud volumes to see if the distortion is any different from one to the other. I'll also run REW measurements of each speaker from the drivers's seat head area to compare the response between the two. If I don't measure and notice (with my ears) any respectable differences, I'll remove that one speaker and send them back for a refund. However, if I notice somewhat of a difference, then I have to multiply that by four, and consider changing all four would be beneficial, although I do fade slightly to the front. This is what happened with the FaitalPRO's... with only one speaker installed, the difference was noticeable, although it was not drastic, yet with replacing all three across the front and multiplying that difference by three, then it because more of a substantial noticeable difference.

It's fun experimenting with these systems... but ultimately I will admit, with the doors dampened properly, the factory bass in this truck is by far the best I've heard in a factory system.

im a little older than some of you guys.so once in a while i will play some old 70's songs.even though they are "Digitally"remastered.it doesnt compare with the "Newer"material out there.when i played this. i went....❗

Last edited:

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm... not my kind of music here. I like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin... and a few others. No head bangin stuff. Probably the hardest I get it Shinedown.

Here's my favorites that are really good for demo music as well as I just like them a lot.

Yello - One Second (Remastered)
Yello - Touch (Especially the songs with Heidi Happy and Til Bronner - but the entire CD is fabulous for demo)

Yello... have all their CD's. Lot's of great demo songs, but I like all their music for daily listening.

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Cassandra Wilson - Dance to the Drummer Again

Flim & the BB's - New Pants / Big Notes
Spyro Gyra - Dreams Beyond Control
Sheffield Labs (James Newton Howard and Friends)

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... not my kind of music here. I like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin... and a few others. No head bangin stuff. Probably the hardest I get it Shinedown.

Here's my favorites that are really good for demo music as well as I just like them a lot.

Yello - One Second (Remastered)
Yello - Touch (Especially the songs with Heidi Happy and Til Bronner - but the entire CD is fabulous for demo)

Yello... have all their CD's. Lot's of great demo songs, but I like all their music for daily listening.

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Cassandra Wilson - Dance to the Drummer Again

Flim & the BB's - New Pants / Big Notes
Spyro Gyra - Dreams Beyond Control
Sheffield Labs (James Newton Howard and Friends)

yes i like them to.its also why i said i listen to some "70's" to.as we were trying to adjust my system.it was at times kind of difficult,because my taste varied to all.i just like the way they sound now on my system.thats all kind of music,especially the newer stuff.they reproduction is "Awesome"!

Last edited:

Zwhit20

Reaction score
I'm not sure if i understood all this right but I have the 6 speaker in my 2020 BH and my understanding is that the door speakers are out of phase which will mess with the anc. Swapping the pins on the harness from metra fixes that issue.

now my questions:
1. if i pull a speaker level signal from the anc box area for my amplifier high level in or line converter (haven't made that decision) will that signal be out of phase from the diagram that has been posted a few times of the anc module

2. does anyone know the mounting depth on the factory box? looking for a challenge and to pioneer another method and was going to attempt to use the box from the factory that i found the part number for (68315544AA), and use an aftermarket shallow mount sub. looking that part number may also include the factory sub.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can test the signal with a 9 volt battery to see what the phase is, however, you probably won't be able to use that high-level signal because you are going to amplify the ANC, which is what causes issues/droning in these systems. You are better offer using a PAC AmpPRO and getting a clean (non-amplified) signal to your aftermarket amp.

I would not recommend using the factory sub enclosure. It probably has the best sub driver in it now for that particular enclosure volume. Each sub driver has its own TS parameters and requires a specific volume to perform at its best. I highly doubt there is a driver out there that will work in that box. If you want to use that space, remove the factory sub and either purchase a box for that area with the sub, or build the right enclosure for a sub you'd like to use.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've probably read this full thread a few times over. Such great info. I have a question related to the different ANC bypass harnesses out there.

I have a 2019 BigHorn with the 8.4 Uconnect 6 speaker non-amplified with ANC under the seat.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the PAC ANC-CH01 and the iDatalink bCH3 bypasses? I've noticed the PAC version has a 22 pin plug that goes back into the ANC, whereas the bCH3 simply plugs the 22pin connector (that goes into the ANC) into one end the adapter harness and the 16 pin plug (that goes into the ANC) into the other end of the harness and leaves nothing that plugs back into the ANC.

I have a bCH3 on order from Crutchfield and there were numerous reviews from 2019 Ram owners claiming that it effectively bypassed the ANC. However, it makes me wonder; what's the significance of the few wires that are running back into the ANC via the 22pin connector on the PAC ANC-CH01 adapter?

Does anyone have experience using the bCH3? If so, does it work? Were you able to retain all hand free functions and radio control. Any details/learnings would be great.

For additional context: I'm looking to connect a Kicker Key 180.4 using the bCH3 at the ANC unit. From there, I plan to bi-amp my infinity ref 3.5 (dash) and CDT 6x9subcf(door)-- (both already installed). I'll be running new speaker wire from the dash 3.5s to achieve this. Then I plan to run the rears (cdt 6x9s - already installed) off the factory radio rear channel. My hope is that this gives me a nice robust front soundstage with great imaging via the Key's built in DSP and active crossover and leveling provided when bi-amping a set of speakers in this manner. From there I'll likely add a slim 10" sub to fill in the low end.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ryan
The extra wires on the PAC are just for power and signal to the ANC. It is my understanding that some people believe you will get codes thrown or loose some functions if the truck does not see the ANC present. This is false, I currently have the iDatalink bypass cable and my ANC is sitting on a shelf in the garage. I have not experienced any issues with my audio or error codes. Removing it also allows you to mount a small amp in that location which makes running wires easy.

IMG_3877.jpg

RichInMN

Reaction score
I'm not sure if i understood all this right but I have the 6 speaker in my 2020 BH and my understanding is that the door speakers are out of phase which will mess with the anc. Swapping the pins on the harness from metra fixes that issue.

now my questions:
1. if i pull a speaker level signal from the anc box area for my amplifier high level in or line converter (haven't made that decision) will that signal be out of phase from the diagram that has been posted a few times of the anc module

2. does anyone know the mounting depth on the factory box? looking for a challenge and to pioneer another method and was going to attempt to use the box from the factory that i found the part number for (68315544AA), and use an aftermarket shallow mount sub. looking that part number may also include the factory sub.
1) Just pull your high-level signal on the way in to the ANC not the output side, and you'll be A-OK. A harness makes the job even easier.
2) I'd recommend buying a prefab single sub truck box, it'll be a more solid solution if you don't want to build one or have one built. About 6" to 5" total depth (bottom to top). More if you're OK to lose the ability to flip up the seat bottom.

Feel free to message me if you have other questions.

-Rich

Last edited:

R6six6

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020 BH with the 8” \ 6 speaker system. Under the driver seat is nothing but the vent, i see the mounting points on the floor board. Does anyone know if the ANC was moved or if i am safe to say I don't have one and can carry on.

I battled it in my Accord and was hoping not to have to in this truck.

Users who are viewing this thread