5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Stock Stereo Upgrade Options?

KRField

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020 BH with the 8” \ 6 speaker system. Under the driver seat is nothing but the vent, i see the mounting points on the floor board. Does anyone know if the ANC was moved or if i am safe to say I don't have one and can carry on.

I battled it in my Accord and was hoping not to have to in this truck.

If you have the V6 it doesn’t have it. If you have the Hemi it should be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I filmed a walkthrough of all the stereo work I did in my 2020 Rebel. My truck had the base 6 speaker package.

I replaced all my speakers, installed a 5 channel amp, and a custom subwoofer box without cutting ANY factory wires.

I show what products I used, how I wired everything, and included links for everything in the description. I also show a more in depth view of my custom subwoofer box for those who’ve been asking for more info.

Hopefully this helps inspire some of you all with your stereos. I also included a link to 2019+ Ram wiring diagrams in the video description. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I filmed a walkthrough of all the stereo work I did in my 2020 Rebel. My truck had the base 6 speaker package.

I replaced all my speakers, installed a 5 channel amp, and a customer subwoofer box without cutting ANY factory wires.

I show what products I used, how I wired everything, and included links for everything in the description. I also show a more in depth view of my custom subwoofer box for those who’ve been asking for more info.

Hopefully this helps inspire some of you all with your stereos. I also included a link to 2019+ Ram wiring diagrams in the video description. Let me know if you have any questions.

hey i just finished my 2weeks ago.i had my brother help me(he's good at stuff like that"Lol").this is what i install in my.i have the "Alpine"

Greenchevette

Reaction score
@Waterfowler41 - any chance you can share more details on how the amplified speaker wire tapped back into the stock speaker wires under the seat? And this process fully bypasses the stock amps? Fantastic vid btw! Articulate, direct, and to the point!

**EDIT** - Found the document he was reviewing in the video. Cut at RED Line and attach one side to LOC & AMP then other side to the speakers themselves. Good stuff!

1596466808336.png

Last edited:

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Waterfowler41 - any chance you can share more details on how the amplified speaker wire tapped back into the stock speaker wires under the seat? And this process fully bypasses the stock amps? Fantastic vid btw! Articulate, direct, and to the point!

**EDIT** - Found the document he was reviewing in the video. Cut at RED Line and attach one side to LOC & AMP then other side to the speakers themselves. Good stuff!

View attachment 64252

Bingo! That’s exactly how I did it, now there will be some purists who believe you need all new home runs to each speaker from the amps but that’s a LOT of work and I don’t see the need for that level of wiring. The factory I infrastructure handles the power well.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tapped in at the same location under the seat. If I were a betting man, I would bet $10,000 no one could hear a difference in an A/B blind test with any consistency... and that this wiring will endure as good as anything else you were to do. Home runs might make you feel feel better and give you some PPP (positive perceptual placebo) effect, but that's about it.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tapped in at the same location under the seat. If I were a betting man, I would bet $10,000 no one could hear a difference in an A/B blind test with any consistency... and that this wiring will endure as good as anything else you were to do. Home runs might make you feel feel better and give you some PPP (positive perceptual placebo) effect, but that's about it.

It’s not so much the sound quality, it’s more so the amount of power versus wire gauge that’s the issue. If you throw in a crazy huge amp for your speakers your cabling might be woefully undersized. 99% of us aren’t even scratching the surface on our factory wire limitations so I agree with you.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only mentioned it because some purists claim there is a sound difference, but that's also why I mentioned it would "endure" as good as anything else. I've seen 3 feet of 22 gauge wire in uber high-end home subs with 2,000+ watts of power used. It really just doesn't make a difference in these short runs. If it were 50-100ft... I might suggest increasing the size... although the wire gauge in long stage wire for bands, etc, is still very small.

Stphn227

Reaction score
I think I've read up on this topic for hours upon hours and I'm so confused. I bought a 2020 ram with the 8.4 screen and 6 speaker system with the hemi and want to upgrade the sound system. I've never done car audio work, never had an aftermarket system and am not the greatest with electrical, but I can usually pick things up pretty easily...

So I started out by changing by dash speakers to the infinity ref 3.5s. Bought from crutchfield, popped them in with the harnesses that came with it. I like to listen to my music pretty damn loud personally, and when I start cranking the volume into the 20s I can hear the speakers sort of getting staticy and sometimes cutting out for a quick moment. Did I do something wrong? Or is this due to no aftermarket amp to properly power the speakers? Or did I blow the speakers out already somehow? I've literally had them installed for one day now.

It makes me nervous to continue because I don't want to make the problem worse. I think my ultimate goal would be a complete aftermarket system with all remaining door speakers replaced with infinity 6x9s, plus a 10 inch sub (possibly two, with sealed foxbox), all powered by an aftermarket amp.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't think the base system amp is going to be sufficient enough to crank those speakers that loud. I'm not that familiar with the base system, some other might chime in concerning those, but my guess is that you'll have to put some better power on the system if you really want "loud".

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't think the base system amp is going to be sufficient enough to crank those speakers that loud. I'm not that familiar with the base system, some other might chime in concerning those, but my guess is that you'll have to put some better power on the system if you really want "loud".

in the beginning i used the "StockAmp".but since i had some "Amps" laying around in my garage.i used them.and the sound was increase so much.hard to describe.the songs you like are going to sound so much better.".Unbelievable " (y) .i played this song with the stock amp.thought it was good but when i installed the new "Amp" o_O .i left the stock woofer in place.i have a 5ch amp so i just added and old "bassTube".

Last edited:

Shawn19

Reaction score
I have the base 6 speaker, I added a JL “power wedge+ 10”.

I bypassed the ANC with the PAC harness, and used the high level inputs from that.

Initially it sounded good, but now I’m noticing some fading in and out in the factory speakers at high volume. - mid 20s on volume to max is the same.

My guess is that the high level input may be putting a strain on the head unit, and considering getting a low level unit and running RCAs to my sub instead.

Anyone deal with this issue? Thanks in advance.

Stphn227

Reaction score
Ok, so I think I figured out a system that should work, any input would be excellent.

2x pairs of Infinity Ref 9633ix 6x9 3 ways for all four doors: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ACxk7oGbWKM/p_108R9633IX/Infinity-Reference-REF-9633ix.html

1x Pioneer TS-D10LS2 10" sub: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSD10L2/Pioneer-TS-D10LS2.html?tp=68872

1x SoundStream Picasso Nano PN5.640D 5 Channel amp to power it all: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html?tp=35808

1x PAC ANC-CH01 to route off of factory wiring and bypass ANC.

Obviously it will all need hooked up and a box made for the sub (sealed would be my preference). But does that all make sense?

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so I think I figured out a system that should work, any input would be excellent.

2x pairs of Infinity Ref 9633ix 6x9 3 ways for all four doors: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ACxk7oGbWKM/p_108R9633IX/Infinity-Reference-REF-9633ix.html

1x Pioneer TS-D10LS2 10" sub: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSD10L2/Pioneer-TS-D10LS2.html?tp=68872

1x SoundStream Picasso Nano PN5.640D 5 Channel amp to power it all: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html?tp=35808

1x PAC ANC-CH01 to route off of factory wiring and bypass ANC.

Obviously it will all need hooked up and a box made for the sub (sealed would be my preference). But does that all make sense?

that is just about what i went with (y)

BoerboelDawgz

Reaction score
Just get a custom down firing box built with 2 JL 10TW3-D4’s and enjoy the new option of massaging chairs for *** passengers..this upgrade is incredible if you like deep lows in your music.
did you make this yourself? i would love to get those measurements if at all possible

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the HS10 working out for you? I ordered 1 and will have it installed profesionaly. Will it fit on the back wall on the drivers side?

i had this old "Thing"left in my garage.the speaker was "Blown".just went out and bought another.i run it off my 5ch amp.i did not "Tap,cut or splice"in the stock one.no headache of all that cutting and such,no need to.i left it in tack along with the new one.how does it sound...?........ :love: :love: (y) !(IMHO!)

Shawn19

Reaction score
I have the base 6 speaker, I added a JL “power wedge+ 10”.

I bypassed the ANC with the PAC harness, and used the high level inputs from that.

Initially it sounded good, but now I’m noticing some fading in and out in the factory speakers at high volume. - mid 20s on volume to max is the same.

My guess is that the high level input may be putting a strain on the head unit, and considering getting a low level unit and running RCAs to my sub instead.

Anyone deal with this issue? Thanks in advance.

To answer my own question I reversed the polarity on my sub...sounds good now.

PAC harness made it easy. I am not missing the ANC “Benefits” at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wsmith

Reaction score
I see some bought the Kicker Hideaway, how do you like it. I replaced the dash speakers with the Faitalpro, improved the overall quality. Looking for some bass, not looking to rattle the trim off of the truck. I liked the 10" Hideaway but could find no reviews on its sound quality. Just looking to add a little thump.

Users who are viewing this thread