5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

CnyRver

Reaction score
This should be for the 1500 non nav 8.4 w/CarPlay
A44ED054-9B62-4142-9718-C0E9A70D7A5D.png
this is for the 2500/3500 non nav 8.4 w/CarPlay
CC157FD6-8C78-4A3E-9000-B7ACF4C53233.png
there are 10 T15 screws for the center stack to mount to the outer bezel and 4 Philips screws for the radio. I believe you need a $10 bracket to mount the radio to the center bezel also. Not sure the part #s for screws.

Last edited:

JPW442

Reaction score
I used the same Bezel and Center Stack part numbers listed by CnyRver. I reused the existing mounting screws from center stack to bezel and radio. I do not remember using any additional mounting bracket for the radio.

Here is the part # for Non Nav, 8.4 Sirius XM with CarPlay that I used..
IMG_3352.jpg

Chipfactor1

Reaction score
If the radio is used then you will need a code to unlock which you can get online. You will have to replace both inner and outer bezels to fit the new 8.4 screen. Make sure you match the correct center bezel since there are multiple configurations. I haven’t been able to verify if a new radio would work without any dealer programming but other members have done used ones without an issue. Just need the donor vin to get the unlock code. I ended up ordering a used radio with both matching bezels for my tradesman that I should be able to install next week. Prices have been going up in the last month both online and at junkyards from wrecks. They were like $600 and now start at $1k to $1700 from infotainment. You can buy all new parts online for approx $1200 (radio, both bezels, bracket and screws) but like I said unfortunately haven’t been able to verify if a dealer programming is needed.
Thanks for the info. I watched the infotainment install video . That answered some questions I had too. But I am curious. If I want to from the 5” all the way to the 12” screen. How do I get the lvds cord and the modified cord for on screen functions?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I watched the infotainment install video . That answered some questions I had too. But I am curious. If I want to from the 5” all the way to the 12” screen. How do I get the lvds cord and the modified cord for on screen functions?
You can get the lvds cable anywhere, and I can build you the conversion adapter harness. You’ll also need a different sun sensor, and you need to add the cabin temp sensor in the knee panel below the start button in order for the climate controls to work properly. I have the custom harness to add the cabin temp sensor, also.

CnyRver

Reaction score
You can get the lvds cable anywhere, and I can build you the conversion adapter harness. You’ll also need a different sun sensor, and you need to add the cabin temp sensor in the knee panel below the start button in order for the climate controls to work properly. I have the custom harness to add the cabin temp sensor, also.
Thought you also needed a quick flash upgrade to computer? Infotainments video shows it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thought you also needed a quick flash upgrade to computer? Infotainments video shows it.
Yes, but everyone uses AlfaOBD to make those changes, instead of infotainment’s ignorantly priced kit.

Chipfactor1

Reaction score
Morning. I’ve watched the infotainment videos on upgrading from the 5” all the way up to the 12”. And the only thing they add is the lbs cable and the modified cable. And everything seems to work after they reinstall the radio. They don’t change any of the other things for climate control or cabin temp sensor. But I know I need the obdgeanie. But they don’t sell it separately. I’ve asked infotainment and the obdgeanie maker as well. It’s made exclusively for infotainment. I know I can use the Alfa of. I’m just not familiar with it

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Morning. I’ve watched the infotainment videos on upgrading from the 5” all the way up to the 12”. And the only thing they add is the lbs cable and the modified cable. And everything seems to work after they reinstall the radio. They don’t change any of the other things for climate control or cabin temp sensor. But I know I need the obdgeanie. But they don’t sell it separately. I’ve asked infotainment and the obdgeanie maker as well. It’s made exclusively for infotainment. I know I can use the Alfa of. I’m just not familiar with it
Alfaobd is easy to use. Check in on that thread here somewhere.
I wouldn’t go by anything infotainment says. The 12” radios are only capable of dual zone auto temp controls. You have single zone manual temp controls. You don’t need to install the dual zone part of the system (requires dash removal and new HVAC boxes), but you do have to install the cabin temp sensor and correct sun sensor for the auto temp HVAC configuration, otherwise your controls won’t work properly. You’ll either have full hot or full cold, and hardly any control over fan speed.

Chipfactor1

Reaction score
Alfaobd is easy to use. Check in on that thread here somewhere.
I wouldn’t go by anything infotainment says. The 12” radios are only capable of dual zone auto temp controls. You have single zone manual temp controls. You don’t need to install the dual zone part of the system (requires dash removal and new HVAC boxes), but you do have to install the cabin temp sensor and correct sun sensor for the auto temp HVAC configuration, otherwise your controls won’t work properly. You’ll either have full hot or full cold, and hardly any control over fan speed.
Ok I appreciate the info. I think I’m going to stick with the 8.4” non nav then I can just swap the 5” for it straight across

CnyRver

Reaction score
Ok so I swapped out my 5.0 to a used 8.4 radio with the correct bezels I bought on eBay. After plugging everything in and entering the theft code all features worked except I had no sound. The volume numbers move but no sound from the replacement radio. I rechecked connections and waited a few hours but still no sound. Then I put back my old 5.0 radio setup and sound was restored. I’m assuming the used radio was defective or is it possible my truck isn’t compatible?

Tbtjs421

Reaction score
So just wanted to give you guys the updated pictures after I received the new bezel today. Everything works perfectly. Next step I'm going to ask the dealership if they can load the app to control the heated steering wheel from the screen. Let me know what you guys think.
Wow that is how I want my truck to look . I would like to upgrade to the 8.4 inch screen mine is tiny

CnyRver

Reaction score
Finally done. Just installed brand new 8.4 non nav, new center stack bezel and AC outer bezel. Works perfectly. CarPlay, camera, compass, Siri, all 100%. Takes about 15 mins for all features to activate. Loving it. $1230 shipped brand new online from dealer. Crazy to think infotainment charges $1700 for refurbished and they say they program it to your truck, 😂.

Attachments

• B11A24D7-1A1F-4413-99E9-6E435A8B20DC.jpeg
    B11A24D7-1A1F-4413-99E9-6E435A8B20DC.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 97

lckelly26

Reaction score
Thank you. My local Dealership says it part # 68370124AB. The online pics make it look like it just has the single hazad button but maybe those are just generic pics. I'll get one ordered and see if its right.
Look what came in today!!!! I will swap my 5" to 8.4" radio tonight. Thank you all for the help and advice

Attachments

• 20210122_160319.jpg
    20210122_160319.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210122_160627.jpg
    20210122_160627.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210122_160559.jpg
    20210122_160559.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210122_160507.jpg
    20210122_160507.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 76

CnyRver

Reaction score
Look what came in today!!!! I will swap my 5" to 8.4" radio tonight. Thank you all for the help and advice
Awesome, enjoy! Well worth the upgrade especially if you get the parts new online from a mopar site, big $ savings over dealer or infotainment.

lckelly26

Reaction score
Got to excited to soon. The radio arrived with a cracked screen. I sure the vendor has good customer service

Attachments

• 20210122_170319.jpg
    20210122_170319.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 53

CnyRver

Reaction score
Got to excited to soon. The radio arrived with a cracked screen. I sure the vendor has good customer service
Oh that’s sucks. Yeah I found my new radio wasn’t packed all that great either from warehouse. I was surprised it wasn’t damaged. My back up camera and steering wheel controls along with compass took about 15 minutes to work properly.

Glvnet

Reaction score
Hey there I’m going to do the same thing to my 2021 rebel. I just want to make sure on a couple things. I know it’s plug and play. But did you have to have the dealer do anything like flash it or give a key code. Or did it work once all connected?
Everything worked without any flashing or assistance from Dealer. Plug and play if the parts match properly. Remember, I went from the basic bighorn 5 inch to the 8.4 without nav. This does not mean you can go fro. 8.4 to 12 and is plug and play. Going to the 8.4 with Nav or to the 12 inch does require reprogramming. My info is only for upgrade from the 5 inch to the basic non navigation 8.4. I believe the Rebel does not come with the 5 inch or manual AC controls. So, make sure this tutorial matches the equipment on your trim. Good luck.

BigHornHemi

Reaction score
So just wanted to give you guys the updated pictures after I received the new bezel today. Everything works perfectly. Next step I'm going to ask the dealership if they can load the app to control the heated steering wheel from the screen. Let me know what you guys think.
Where were you able to find the bezel, module, and screen? I'm sure there are a ton of options out there but looking for something trust worthy.

CnyRver

Reaction score
Where were you able to find the bezel, module, and screen? I'm sure there are a ton of options out there but looking for something trust worthy.
I bought all parts from chryslerpartsgeeks.com. They are a Ram dealer in NJ. Great prices. Took close to 2 weeks to get them due to having them shipped to the dealer and then to me. Most likely all parts need to be ordered from Mopar warehouse.

Users who are viewing this thread