5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

Ram0719

Reaction score
My friend is looking to upgrade his 5" to a 8.4" non navi screen. From reading thru the thread, it is plug and play if he buys an 8.4" non navi, with bezel, with dual climate controls and gets the donor vehicle's VIN number. I believe he can always purchase the dual climate controls separate as well. Is there anyone who has what he needs for sale?

Bababooey600

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm which displays will work with a 19/20 rebel? Looking on eBay is number
68292209af the only unit that will work? Thank you in advance!

CnyRver

Reaction score
When swapping the 5.0 with satellite radio to the 8.4 w/o nav do I need a special cord for the compass/satellite to work or is it plug and play? I have a 2020 tradesman with the 5.0 and satellite with single zone climate. I’m getting mixed responses from sellers. One said I need the cord and another said plug and play. While another said I have to wait 1 hour for the radio to come out of a sleep cycle. Any info from those that swapped them out would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

kristof

Reaction score
When swapping the 5.0 with satellite radio to the 8.4 w/o nav do I need a special cord for the compass/satellite to work or is it plug and play? I have a 2020 tradesman with the 5.0 and satellite with single zone climate. I’m getting mixed responses from sellers. One said I need the cord and another said plug and play. While another said I have to wait 1 hour for the radio to come out of a sleep cycle. Any info from those that swapped them out would be greatly appreciated.
I have part on the way for my 2020 Tradesman 2500 with 5" radio and satellite radio , without navigation. If you not in a hurry you can wait till I do mine and will let you know. I have single zone climate.
Here is my current setup
screen.jpg
I bought a 8.4" display with dual zone climate from car parts company. Ordered the center piece only from eBay with single zone climate.
center single.jpg

Jackmup

Reaction score
Just bought a 2500 Tradesman and want the 8.4 no nav, but why do we need the new A/C bezel? can we modify our existing bezel? i notice the numbers have been discontinued so i dont think i can get the same color as the one in my truck. its sort of silver gray.

parts so far from Mopar
68340283AD Center stack (black center bezel with havac knobs) $244.20
68428584ACRadio, Multi Media $704.48

5YU433XLAF​

Inst. Panel with A/C vents has a black/grey brushed top. 300.00 from a parts dealer.

parts from infotainment
U-INTC2K Fakra C to K cable (to connect sxm and compass) $19.95

So i'm just wondering if someone can expain why the 8.4" doesnt fit the 5" ac bezel.
Thanks

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a 2500 Tradesman and want the 8.4 no nav, but why do we need the new A/C bezel? can we modify our existing bezel? i notice the numbers have been discontinued so i dont think i can get the same color as the one in my truck. its sort of silver gray.

parts so far from Mopar
68340283AC Center stack (black center bezel with havac knobs) $244.20
68292209AF Radio, Multi Media $746.65
5YU433XLAF Instrument panel bezel (a/c vents) $257.40 looks like its just gray

parts from infotainment

So i'm just wondering if someone can expain why the 8.4" doesnt fit the 5" ac bezel.
Thanks
Here’s a pic from earlier in the thread where they put the 8.4 in the 5” bezel-
ZW2zZgU.jpg

You can see the screen is short of reaching the sides and bottom, and the rounded corners look weird.

Jackmup

Reaction score
I understand why we need the black bezel i just dont know why we need the big bezel with the a/c vents. or do we?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand why we need the black bezel i just dont know why we need the big bezel with the a/c vents. or do we?
Gotcha. As far as I know, nobody has tried it, or reported trying it. There is another member who is going to be trying it very soon, and he’s going to let me know if it works- or if it doesn’t work, why not.

CnyRver

Reaction score
I have part on the way for my 2020 Tradesman 2500 with 5" radio and satellite radio , without navigation. If you not in a hurry you can wait till I do mine and will let you know. I have single zone climate.
Here is my current setup
View attachment 76126
I bought a 8.4" display with dual zone climate from car parts company. Ordered the center piece only from eBay with single zone climate.
View attachment 76127
I have the exact setup as you have. Yes I would love to know if we need that $20 cable and how it all fits together. I had my dealer pull part #s off a 2020 tradesman 2500 for radio, center bezel and outer vent bezel.
radio=68399198AF which is now replaced by 68428584AC.
center bezel=68340283AD
Outer bezel vents=6VQ511AHAA
The center bezel seems to be the same for the 1500 and 2500. The radio and outer bezel are different.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I would love to know if we need that $20 cable and how it all fits together. I had my dealer pull part #s off a 2020 tradesman 2500 for radio, center bezel and outer vent bezel.
center bezel=68340283AD
The center bezel seems to be the same for the 1500 and 2500. The radio and outer bezel are different.
If your current radio is SiriusXM capable, then you don’t need the cable. If you don’t know if your radio is satellite capable, pull the radio and look at the connectors on the back- if there is a mustard yellow connector plugged into the back of it, no cable needed. If there is a royal blue connector plugged into the back of it, cable needed.
Here’s a cheaper cable that you’ll get quicker so you don’t have to go through infotainment- https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Exten...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

CnyRver

Reaction score

parts so far from Mopar
68340283AC Center stack (black center bezel with havac knobs) $244.20
68292209AF Radio, Multi Media $746.65
5YU433XLAF Instrument panel bezel (a/c vents) $257.40 looks like its just gray

parts from infotainment

Thanks
Supposedly the screw and tabs don’t line up correctly with the new center and existing outer vent bezel but can’t confirm. I will try after Christmas at some point. Had my dealer pull part #s off a new 2020 tradesman 2500 for radio, center bezel and outer vent bezel.
center bezel=68340283AD
Why do we need that $20 adapter for xm/compass if our trucks have XM. I thought that was for trucks that don’t have the antenna?

CnyRver

Reaction score
If your current radio is SiriusXM capable, then you don’t need the cable. If you don’t know if your radio is satellite capable, pull the radio and look at the connectors on the back- if there is a mustard yellow connector plugged into the back of it, no cable needed. If there is a royal blue connector plugged into the back of it, cable needed.
Here’s a cheaper cable that you’ll get quicker so you don’t have to go through infotainment- https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Extension-Compatible-Navigation-Telematics/dp/B07P2WYP98/ref=mp_s_a_1_33_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=male+to+female+fakra+z+1ft&qid=1608472058&sr=8-33-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQjNNNElUSkEyTU42JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjMzMTUxMkdBMVFWUUZKM1k5MCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDc1NzU3MTJYMDNNMEtGMEg2TyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1
I listen to XM with the free trial so I guess I don’t need that cable. Did you ever finish your setup by adding the center bezel?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I listen to XM with the free trial so I guess I don’t need that cable. Did you ever finish your setup by adding the center bezel?
I’m not installing one of these.
On another note, here’s why the center dash can’t be reused. The radio bezel locating tabs and mounts are different. This is from member kristof-
vpPVRRI.jpg

Jackmup

Reaction score
Supposedly the screw and tabs don’t line up correctly with the new center and existing outer vent bezel but can’t confirm. I will try after Christmas at some point. Had my dealer pull part #s off a new 2020 tradesman 2500 for radio, center bezel and outer vent bezel.
center bezel=68340283AD
Why do we need that $20 adapter for xm/compass if our trucks have XM. I thought that was for trucks that don’t have the antenna?
Somebody said the connector on the antenna is not the same as the radio so this pigtail allows both compass and satellite. I won't know for certain until I install it I just wanted to get as many parts in as I could. It takes so long.

CnyRver

Reaction score
Somebody said the connector on the antenna is not the same as the radio so this pigtail allows both compass and satellite. I won't know for certain until I install it I just wanted to get as many parts in as I could. It takes so long.
If you watch infotainments video on installation he states that 2020 Ram 2500 HD all have the satellite antenna and if you have the 5.0 radio with satellite it’s a direct swap not needing the adapter. You should see a mustard color plug in the back of your old radio. Should be plug and play without additional adapters needed.

kristof

Reaction score
I have the exact setup as you have. Yes I would love to know if we need that $20 cable and how it all fits together. I had my dealer pull part #s off a 2020 tradesman 2500 for radio, center bezel and outer vent bezel.
center bezel=68340283AD
You don't need the cable if you have sirius already on your truck.

kristof

Reaction score
I’m not installing one of these.
On another note, here’s why the center dash can’t be reused. The radio bezel locating tabs and mounts are different. This is from member kristof-
vpPVRRI.jpg
Yeap there is no way to do it. I even cut off the locating pins and removed that little tab on the side of the screw post (you can see it on the photo above on the right side) .

kristof

Reaction score
Here is another photo for comparison.
1a3573db968d45147a1e49d8240d8a4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kristof

Reaction score
One question. If I look up for software updates using vin # from the donor vehicle should i update it if there is one?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jackmup

Reaction score
You don't need the cable if you have sirius already on your truck.
Just to build on this if your truck dies not have sirius radio it has a "C" type connector. If you have sirius you have a "K" type connector. I don't have sirius so I need to go from C to K thats why I needed the jumper. Learned that watching an infotainment video.

Users who are viewing this thread