5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

mikeb493

Reaction score
I have a module coming from Canada and will have it at the end of next week. I was fortunate enough to have a module in inquired about weeks ago be available and I said I would take it knowing that someone was going to need it. I am willing to pass it on at what I paid for it, which I listed above. The radio modules are unicorns now since FCA stopped allowing them to be processed through dealers. It is a Starr part only, and they just discontinued the AJ version with no replacement. If you can find them, people are getting retail or better on them because they know what they have.
I thought you were sellig your 8.4c not the 12c....maybe I misread the post. Can you clarify? Thanks

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
You're going to be very hard pressed to ever find a module. They are unicorns. I have another one coming from Canada that was an unexpected surprise.

pparker74

Reaction score
Good evening all,

First, thank you to everyone who contributed here.

I have been able to successfully upgrade my stock 5 inch radio & standard AC controls for the 8.4 without Nav (everything working) with the following parts:

8.4 screen no Nav: P68292209AF (VP2 8.4 DT SXM)
Center black Bezel with regular AC controls and knobs for 8.4 screen: 68340283AC
Center Main Console with AC vents: 5YU433XLAD

View attachment 59155 View attachment 59166 View attachment 59167 View attachment 59168 View attachment 59169 View attachment 59170 View attachment 59219

Hi, do I have to buy the whole bezel with the vents, or just the middle pice with the controls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
This is what I took out today and what I'm offering. I will pull the bottom switches of not needed. They were a spare set. 8.4 with nav

Attachments

• 20200625_205527.jpg
    20200625_205527.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 20200625_205549.jpg
    20200625_205549.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200625_205710.jpg
    20200625_205710.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200625_205816.jpg
    20200625_205816.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 116

Glvnet

Reaction score
Hey there Glvnet! Thanks for posting this, as you've done EXACTLY what I'm hoping to do with my 19 Rebel! You saved me from a ton of blurry eyed searching/reading.. I did want to ask though, as you said all installed and everything worked, given this is non-Nav, is it plug and play as I've read/seen on other threads? Many have said, if no NAV, there's no need to go to dealership to program in. Can you confirm?
Yes, the non Nav 8.4 is plug and play. I did not have to reprogram anything. The only thing I did was resent the radio to factory settings. I forgot to mention on my post that you do need a conversion cable to be able to use the gps antenna (for Android auto or carplay map apps) used for the factory 5 inch compass. I actually bought the siriusxm antenna that comes with a splitter, but if you dont care about the satellite radio you can buy this.

Glvnet

Reaction score
Hi, do I have to buy the whole bezel with the vents, or just the middle pice with the controls?

If your factory radio is the 5 inch, you do need the bezel with the vents as the mounting points for the inner bezel (where the radio/screen goes) has different screw locations. The bezel for the 8m4 wont mount properly on the 5inch center bezel with vents. I am sure you can make it work, but for plug and play no hazle, you need the center console compatible with the inner bezel for the 8.4.

pparker74

Reaction score
If your factory radio is the 5 inch, you do need the bezel with the vents as the mounting points for the inner bezel (where the radio/screen goes) has different screw locations. The bezel for the 8m4 wont mount properly on the 5inch center bezel with vents. I am sure you can make it work, but for plug and play no hazle, you need the center console compatible with the inner bezel for the 8.4.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Can you tell me the number for the radio is non nav, but does it have CarPlay?

Glvnet

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for the info. Can you tell me the number for the radio is non nav, but does it have CarPlay?

All part numbers are on my original post. The non-nav 8.4 does have android auto and apple carplay.

Cheech60

Reaction score
So just wanted to give you guys the updated pictures after I received the new bezel today. Everything works perfectly. Next step I'm going to ask the dealership if they can load the app to control the heated steering wheel from the screen. Let me know what you guys think.
Can you drop the link where you got the single climate control bezel from ?

pparker74

Reaction score
All part numbers are on my original post. The non-nav 8.4 does have android auto and apple carplay.

The numbers you sent were correct, however my bezel is different from the one you purchased. I need this one. I can get the bezel from eBay for cheep but I need that climate control module. Do you know where I can get it from other than infotainment.com?
26052c5f2f3ccd053374bc1516cc1180.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The numbers you sent were correct, however my bezel is different from the one you purchased. I need this one. I can get the bezel from eBay for cheep but I need that climate control module. Do you know where I can get it from other than infotainment.com?

That bezel is for a 4th gen, which includes 2019-2020 Ram classics. If that’s what you have, then none of the info in this thread applies to you. The UAV radio can be made to work on the 4th gens with some BCM settings changes and modifications to the back of the bezel. The UAM radio is a red headed stepchild made by a different manufacturer, and won’t work in a 4th gen. You would want a UAS or UAQ radio, a conversion harness, a different media hub in the center console, and the HVAC module.

pparker74

Reaction score
That bezel is for a 4th gen, which includes 2019-2020 Ram classics. If that’s what you have, then none of the info in this thread applies to you. The UAV radio can be made to work on the 4th gens with some BCM settings changes and modifications to the back of the bezel. The UAM radio is a red headed stepchild made by a different manufacturer, and won’t work in a 4th gen. You would want a UAS or UAQ radio, a conversion harness, a different media hub in the center console, and the HVAC module.

Makes sense, the truck is a classic model. Looks like I’m going to have to break down and buy the setup from infotainment. Thanks for your help.

Glvnet

Reaction score

The picture you are showing is for a 4th gen ram. I have the 5th gen RAM. Sorry, I dont have information for the 4th gen.

cyrusd

Reaction score
After scouring the DFW area for a Ram Rebel with decent miles, no accidents, and a price point I can handle - I FINALLY FOUND ONE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO! I freaking love it!

I have the 5" right now, I'm struggling with the price point of the 8.4 with GPS from infotainment and the 8.4 without GSP. I'm swaying to the without GSP based on the comments on here (I don't think I want to go the custom part route, the plug and play swap just seems so freaken easy).

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 8.4 without GSP right now.....

Phi1Wh0

Reaction score
I have an 8.4 with Nav that I took out of my 1500 that I will part ith
After scouring the DFW area for a Ram Rebel with decent miles, no accidents, and a price point I can handle - I FINALLY FOUND ONE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO! I freaking love it!

I have the 5" right now, I'm struggling with the price point of the 8.4 with GPS from infotainment and the 8.4 without GSP. I'm swaying to the without GSP based on the comments on here (I don't think I want to go the custom part route, the plug and play swap just seems so freaken easy).

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 8.4 without GSP right now.....

I have a 4C Nav that I pulled from my 1500 when I upgraded to 12C that would work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread