5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch to 8.4 Inch Upgrade

pparker74

Reaction score
Someone was able to connect 8.4 nav. I've been watching the infotainment videos. And you need an adapter that converts the climate control signal, which is a single wire, to double wire. This would connect climate control and climate control screen. Has anyone been successful at this?

So I originally posted in the wrong forum, my 2020 Ram is a forth gen. I had to buy a control module and the harness. I got the climate control module from EBay and the harness from a site called 4thgenrameletronics.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ezurick

Reaction score
Hi Guys. First let me disclose that I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic Warlock I just purchased that has the tiny 5" Uconnect 3. I've had several older RAMs in the past (2016 Big Horn and 2014 SLT), so I was a little disappointed to find out that my current RAM is a 4th generation.. not a 5th Gen. I tried to follow along on this thread, but really got even more confused as I read each post. Research on google for this truck's radio upgrade is crap. I do see that infotainment.com seems to have the 8" upgrade for my truck, but with a hefty $1500 price tag. And I believe that I would need to purchase the inside bezel in addition? But I understand they need to markup to stay in business... but robbery shouldn't be in that equation. lol.

Besides having a bigger screen, what features do you gain by going from the 5" Uconnect 3 to the 8" Uconnect 4? After reading thru all the posts in the thread several times, I am STILL confused about plug n' play. Is it my understanding that if you purchase from infotainment.com and provide your VIN, the radio will be programmed for my truck and it is a simple plug n' play without getting the dealer service involved? If you purchase the 8" from ebay (or whereever), you MUST get the radio's associated VIN and the dealer service MUST program it? IS that correct? Btw, I just had new rails installed at the dealer service and asked them about upgrading from 5" to 8"... the service tech said is it not possible. Grrrrr. I mentioned infotainment.com and got the deer-in-the-headlights stare. So I do not want them messing with my truck's radio if possible.

This Warlock RAM is the first truck I've had that has no steering wheel audio controls. Stupid, but it is what it is. I have the phone bluetooth buttons, the dash info buttons, the cruise control only. So I would need the bezel for the volume control.

I can't find this after researching, but once you upgrade to the 8" (or the 12"), do you retain your RAM controls such as door locks, lights and other of those features I do not want to lose (as I would if I go with after market). What about my current backup camera. Is that also plug n play.

Sorry for the long post, but I am not even sure the benefits of moving to the 8" (or the 12") are worth the trouble and the cost. I would love to be wrong....

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys. First let me disclose that I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Classic Warlock I just purchased that has the tiny 5" Uconnect 3. I've had several older RAMs in the past (2016 Big Horn and 2014 SLT), so I was a little disappointed to find out that my current RAM is a 4th generation.. not a 5th Gen. I tried to follow along on this thread, but really got even more confused as I read each post. Research on google for this truck's radio upgrade is crap. I do see that infotainment.com seems to have the 8" upgrade for my truck, but with a hefty $1500 price tag. And I believe that I would need to purchase the inside bezel in addition? But I understand they need to markup to stay in business... but robbery shouldn't be in that equation. lol.

Besides having a bigger screen, what features do you gain by going from the 5" Uconnect 3 to the 8" Uconnect 4? After reading thru all the posts in the thread several times, I am STILL confused about plug n' play. Is it my understanding that if you purchase from infotainment.com and provide your VIN, the radio will be programmed for my truck and it is a simple plug n' play without getting the dealer service involved? If you purchase the 8" from ebay (or whereever), you MUST get the radio's associated VIN and the dealer service MUST program it? IS that correct? Btw, I just had new rails installed at the dealer service and asked them about upgrading from 5" to 8"... the service tech said is it not possible. Grrrrr. I mentioned infotainment.com and got the deer-in-the-headlights stare. So I do not want them messing with my truck's radio if possible.

This Warlock RAM is the first truck I've had that has no steering wheel audio controls. Stupid, but it is what it is. I have the phone bluetooth buttons, the dash info buttons, the cruise control only. So I would need the bezel for the volume control.

I can't find this after researching, but once you upgrade to the 8" (or the 12"), do you retain your RAM controls such as door locks, lights and other of those features I do not want to lose (as I would if I go with after market). What about my current backup camera. Is that also plug n play.

Sorry for the long post, but I am not even sure the benefits of moving to the 8" (or the 12") are worth the trouble and the cost. I would love to be wrong....
First off, let’s clear this up about Infotainment- it is a flat out lie when they say that they program the radio to your truck’s VIN. Sadly, it is those like you that they feed off of, to make think that their overpriced kits are needed. I can assure you that all they do is buy radios out of wrecked trucks, make sure they work, and turn around and sell them. This thread has pretty much all the info you need since you have a fourth gen- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/
Basically, you need the radio, bezel with HVAC controls, the HVAC module, and a conversion harness.

pparker74

Reaction score

So let me start by saying, this can totally be done and it’s pretty much plug and play. The main reason I got the upgrade was for CarPlay. The bigger screen is awesome, you can actually see where you’re going in reverse. Lol. Don’t buy your radio from infotainment, they are the biggest rip off, I got the radio from a reputable seller on EBay I did provide my vin to them. When I plugged the radio into the truck it learned the features of the truck on its own and you don’t lose any of your current features. If you’d like I can tell you where I got everything.

ezurick

Reaction score
Thanks Jimmy and Parker for the clarification. I was honestly scrambling to try and save up the $1500 for the infotainment.com radio... but I think I will try to find the parts elsewhere. Thanks for the link Jimmy and I will definitely check it out. I would love to know where you got the parts for your gen 4 ram. If you do not want to post it here, you can PM me or email it to me. Either one.

I guess the hardest part is getting the proper part numbers for the particular parts I need for my gen 4 ram. The important thing is that I need the theft code of the 8" radio o make it plug n' play. I think Parker posted the part numbers on an earlier post. I'll look back and start there. Thanks again guys for your speedy responses.

ezurick

Reaction score
Well, I just done a quick search on ebay for the 2019 RAM 8.4" radio... the LOWEST price I seen was $699. So I think the sellers on ebay are very aware of the value since infotainment.com has them ridiculously marked up. I am open to any other reliable sources.

pparker74

Reaction score
Well, I just done a quick search on ebay for the 2019 RAM 8.4" radio... the LOWEST price I seen was $699. So I think the sellers on ebay are very aware of the value since infotainment.com has them ridiculously marked up. I am open to any other reliable sources.

Yes the do know. Lol the radio I got was out of a pretty new Jeep and was in mint condition! The seller on eBay was awesome, they are very responsive and will replace the radio if any problems. They were expensive but their good service was worth it.
fbea4d3778e8e04678aa5b41dfab94b5.jpg

ezurick

Reaction score
I just done a search on that ebay seller and they list their radio by specific year/make, And all of them are for 2018 or older. I would think that some of them might fit my 2019 Ram 1500 classic, but I am unsure which make/model radio I should look for. Is it the 8.4" UAS? And I see ALL of their radios are $600 on up. None cheap. Plus I would have to find the bezel, the temp control and the harness... I will be sinking in perhaps close to the infotainment.com price for everything.

Another question... my 5" Uconnect 3 has the satellite radio, with backup camera, but no GPS... will the 8.4 Uconnect 4 retain the satellite and backup camera... and will the current satellite antenna work for the GPS in the new radio or do you have to install a new antenna for the GPS?

Ochoa1801

Reaction score
How have experienced with 5th gen. Will be the same plug and play? Or need do something with software if you want 8.4 nav

Thanks

pparker74

Reaction score
I just done a search on that ebay seller and they list their radio by specific year/make, And all of them are for 2018 or older. I would think that some of them might fit my 2019 Ram 1500 classic, but I am unsure which make/model radio I should look for. Is it the 8.4" UAS? And I see ALL of their radios are $600 on up. None cheap. Plus I would have to find the bezel, the temp control and the harness... I will be sinking in perhaps close to the infotainment.com price for everything.

Another question... my 5" Uconnect 3 has the satellite radio, with backup camera, but no GPS... will the 8.4 Uconnect 4 retain the satellite and backup camera... and will the current satellite antenna work for the GPS in the new radio or do you have to install a new antenna for the GPS?

This is the same exact radio I bought for my 2020 warlock. Your satellite, backup camera and everything will work. I got the control module, bezel and wiring harness for half the price infotainment wanted.

ezurick

Reaction score
Hi Parker... you got the 8.4 UAS. That is the model without navigation. So their ad states you need to replace the USB Media Hub. I watched a youtube of a guy that replace his 2017 RAM USB media hub. He showed that you need to also replace the whole console because the new USB media hub is a different size (looks wider). Instead, he just cut out the opening to make it fit. Did you have that issue and how did you handle it? Can you give me the part number for that USB media hub upgrade? Also, the new bezel part number you got would be a big help too. Thanks so much!

pparker74

Reaction score
Hi Parker... you got the 8.4 UAS. That is the model without navigation. So their ad states you need to replace the USB Media Hub. I watched a youtube of a guy that replace his 2017 RAM USB media hub. He showed that you need to also replace the whole console because the new USB media hub is a different size (looks wider). Instead, he just cut out the opening to make it fit. Did you have that issue and how did you handle it? Can you give me the part number for that USB media hub upgrade? Also, the new bezel part number you got would be a big help too. Thanks so much!

Yes I got the UAS 4C. You do need to order a usb hub, got an exact replacement, no cutting or weird size. The new hub supports CarPlay. Make sure when you buy the climate control module you get single zone.
81a5cad2d3c91ffcbb348cc4a6db07c2.jpg

81a5cad2d3c91ffcbb348cc4a6db07c2.jpg

ezurick

Reaction score
I went to the https://www.4thgenramelectronics.com/ and I CAN NOT read anything. The info banner takes up practically the whole browser window which makes it impossible to read or see their products. I am using Chrome. So I tried with MS Edge.. same thing. I'll try on my wife's ipad later.

Also, what is that part number for the new USB hub please?

pparker74

Reaction score
I went to the https://www.4thgenramelectronics.com/ and I CAN NOT read anything. The info banner takes up practically the whole browser window which makes it impossible to read or see their products. I am using Chrome. So I tried with MS Edge.. same thing. I'll try on my wife's ipad later.

Also, what is that part number for the new USB hub please?

Sorry about that, I tried to post pics of all the parts and numbers. Get the hub from www.allmoparparts.com when checking out put in code 5OFF
#68328704AC. the Bezel came from Quirk, EBay# 5VD75JXPAD. climate control module(Ebay) #68366552AA. go onto 4thgenrameletronics you should be able to find the harness pretty easy. You can search the part numbers on EBay. Let me know if you have trouble finding anything.

ezurick

Reaction score
I went to allmoparparts.com and searched for USB media hub.. nothing!
I already mentioned that I can't read anything at 4thgenramelectronics.com. Their website is screwed up and the info banner is taking up the whole screen. Tried it in Chrome and Edge. Oh well... I'll keep looking. I need to save up anyway. So no rush.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went to allmoparparts.com and searched for USB media hub.. nothing!
I already mentioned that I can't read anything at 4thgenramelectronics.com. Their website is screwed up and the info banner is taking up the whole screen. Tried it in Chrome and Edge. Oh well... I'll keep looking. I need to save up anyway. So no rush.
This is the part number of the media hub you need- 68328704AD. https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-hub-media-center-68328704ad
All this info you need for your 4th gen is in the thread I linked earlier, and should probably be asked there, since it has nothing to do with what this thread is about, and is going to start confusing others that come along here and want to do this swap in a 5th gen. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/

dsweet2010

Reaction score
I'm sure I know the answer already, as it would have already have been mentioned if so, but can a No Nav 8.4 from a 2013-2019 not plug into our 5th gens? I see the part numbers are different, but Im wondering if they are actually incompatible or if the difference is having car play vs non-carplay?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure I know the answer already, as it would have already have been mentioned if so, but can a No Nav 8.4 from a 2013-2019 not plug into our 5th gens? I see the part numbers are different, but Im wondering if they are actually incompatible or if the difference is having car play vs non-carplay?
The 2013-2017 8.4 non nav radios (RA3) do not have CarPlay/AA, and will not work on a 5th gen because the 5th gen uses a digital backup camera. The RA3 radios do not have the digital camera input fakra connector. Your best chance would be a 2018 UAS (non nav) or UAQ (nav) radio (both have CarPlay/AA), because they have the red fakra connector for the digital camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online