5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reaction score
Starting a new thread on this because I am not sure what is going on with my 2019 Rebel. It has severe binding if you turn in 4wd. I took it to the dealer and the service manager took it for a ride, then he drove another rebel on the lot. he then said "Since they both do it, it must be how it is supposed to be." I think he is blowing smoke. I want to take it to another dealer. My brother has a 2015 Ram 1500 with a Hemi also. Yesterday I had him put his truck in 4wd lock (because the Rebel doesn't have 4wd auto) and he turned in a dry parking lot as smooth as could be. He had not felt what my truck was doing yet. Then we took mine out. he lives in a cul-de-sac. In 2wd I turned around in the cul-de-sac, but then I flipped it in to 4wd and it was shaking and binding. if I let off the accelerator it just stops. When forcing it through the turn I can hear the front right tire chirping.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't done that with mine but that sounds like a normal front diff behavior on dry pavement, When turning in a circular motion locked in, something has to give. Maybe go find a field or some loose sand/gravel and repeat. And/or go to another dealership and test a Rebel the same way you did. After that you’ll perhaps have something else to say to service.

Rebel'19

Reaction score
Your truck is operating correctly. Our trucks do not have a clutch built into the transfer case - whereas the 4 Auto transfer cases do. Our front wheels rotate at the same speed as the rears. This becomes more noticable while turning on dry pavement. The wheel chirp is essentially created because the front tires are travel a further distance than the rears while rotating at the same speed...I'm not a mechanic, but that's my limited knowledge.

Reaction score
I haven't done that with mine but that sounds like a normal front diff behavior on dry pavement, When turning in a circular motion locked in, something has to give. Maybe go find a field or some loose sand/gravel and repeat. And/or go to another dealership and test a Rebel the same way you did. After that you’ll perhaps have something else to say to service.
We did that. the other Rebel did the same. It seemed too severe for "normal" to me. I have driven 4WD before.

Reaction score
Your truck is operating correctly. Our trucks do not have a clutch built into the transfer case - whereas the 4 Auto transfer cases do. Our front wheels rotate at the same speed as the rears. This becomes more noticable while turning on dry pavement. The wheel chirp is essentially created because the front tires are travel a further distance than the rears while rotating at the same speed...I'm not a mechanic, but that's my limited knowledge.
Wouldn't putting my brother's truck in 4WD lock bypassed the clutch as it is only for kicking in and out of 4WD in auto? I have driven 4WD before. It seemed too severe to be normal wheel hop.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
You won't want to engage your 4WD system while turning in a tight lock when you have good traction. As you noticed, your 4WD system will bind. That's because your outer wheels, are turning more than your inner wheels, and are thus causing the system to bind. In a situation where you would have less than ideal traction, this would not be an issue because the tires would naturally slip, and not binding. Continuing to practice binding your 4WD system would eventually cause something in the driveline to give, meaning break. Please don't continue doing so unless your offroad.

This may help explain more if you can get through the boring conversation.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Read about the differences between the two transfercases.

The one in your brothers truck uses clutches to engage 4wd. Which is why it will slip.

The reason the REBEL doesn't use it is because if this.

Look at videos showing how the 4wd auto transfer case will ultimately send all the power to just one wheel.

Go to another ram forum and google them and read how a member has made a bypass to lock the clutches.

The 4wd auto, even in lock has to slip to engage 4wd.

If your knowledgeable about 4wd, then you would know NOT to use it on dry hard surface, especially pavement or concrete.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well other than not needing to “slap” the OP around for trying out his front end, I think its safe to presume he now understands that unless he is on a low traction surface of some kind, he shouldnt engage and turn.
We all had to learn sometime.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes people need to learn before they break shy.

Users who are viewing this thread