5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Auto vs. 2WD normal driving - Poll

Do you regularly use 4WD Auto or 2WD?

• Total voters

GeorgeT

Reaction score
Ok umb question, because I know I could probably read the manual but this is my first 4x4. What steps do I need to follow to to put it in auto 4wd? I’m assuming I need to be in park and just push the auto button?

GeorgeT

Reaction score
Ok umb question, because I know I could probably read the manual but this is my first 4x4. What steps do I need to follow to to put it in auto 4wd? I’m assuming I need to be in park and just push the auto button?

I have. 19 Bighorn Crewcab btw

Lateralus

Reaction score
I see no reason to use 4 auto unless it is snowing out... I know when I will or will not need 4x4. If I were to let my wife drive the truck the 4 auto would be nice, since she knows nothing about when/when not to use 4x4.

It is a nice feature, but one that I won't use very often.

Lateralus

Reaction score
Just hold the button in. That's all you need to do. You can be moving when you do it.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not a dumb question at all, these new 5th gens aren’t as user friendly as they use to be. In the past, you just press the button for the mode you want. With this gen, you have to hold the button for a second or two. Make sense I guess, someone could accidentally hit a button and it would change. Anyways, you can shift into 2, auto or 4 hi while moving.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see no reason to use 4 auto unless it is snowing out... I know when I will or will not need 4x4. If I were to let my wife drive the truck the 4 auto would be nice, since she knows nothing about when/when not to use 4x4.

It is a nice feature, but one that I won't use very often.

Have you driven in snow with it yet? Give it a test when you get a chance. I have found that 4WD can get a little squirly depending on how heavy your foot is. 4WD Auto just seems to work and work nicely no matter how aggressive I drive in the snow.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all, these new 5th gens aren’t as user friendly as they use to be. In the past, you just press the button for the mode you want. With this gen, you have to hold the button for a second or two. Make sense I guess, someone could accidentally hit a button and it would change. Anyways, you can shift into 2, auto or 4 hi while moving.
I don’t recall having to hold the button. I just press and release it. It flashes for a second or two as it makes the change.

GeorgeT

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for all the replies. The reason I did ask is because we did finally get some snow. I’ll try without and then with. It’s nice to know it can engage while moving. Thanks again.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People who think auto 4wd will save them on icy or whatever conditions are fooling themselves. By the time it reacts you’ve already broke traction. Say going up a hill on the highway that’s slick and your *** end comes around. See it all the time here.
Whereas if you think ahead and have it in actuall 4wd first your not getting screwed. I’m not lazy and think ahead and keep myself out of trouble.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People who think auto 4wd will save them on icy or whatever conditions are fooling themselves. By the time it reacts you’ve already broke traction. Say going up a hill on the highway that’s slick and your *** end comes around. See it all the time here.
Whereas if you think ahead and have it in actuall 4wd first your not getting screwed. I’m not lazy and think ahead and keep myself out of trouble.
But if you’re on mostly dry roads with patchy ice, or something similar, you risk premature wear and damage to your driveline in full-time 4WD. It’s nice to have options.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed you need to know not to bind up the full time 4x4 on tight turns etc. The auto transfer case wears as well like LSD and gets sloppiness over time or takes more time to engage.

Art

Reaction score
I’ve had trucks and suvs with auto 4 wheel drive for over 20 years
And never HAD a problem with any. I put it in 4 wheel auto when the first snow arrives and take it out when it leaves
You might see a half gallon of less mileage

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On mine I have to hold it for a second. I can tap tap it and it won’t change.
I tested it on mine a few minutes ago, and a quick tap initiates the change. It just takes a second for the light to start blinking and execute the change. Odd that there would be a difference between trucks, but who knows...

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tested it on mine a few minutes ago, and a quick tap initiates the change. It just takes a second for the light to start blinking and execute the change. Odd that there would be a difference between trucks, but who knows...

Maybe that is my confusion then. Not seeing the light respond on a tap. Gonna go try and see.

alow

Reaction score
Anyone know what the fuel difference would be between 4wd Auto and 2wd?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine switches with a tap too.

NDRam

Reaction score
I was keeping mine in Auto since it is a frozen tundra here in NoDak. However, with this latest tank of fuel I went back to 2WD just to see if there is a difference. So far, about 1/2 of the tank, there is a 1 mile per gallon difference and the turning radius seems to be a bit tighter. Been throwing it back into Auto when I get off the main roads or into a parking lot.

Stony0604

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but I've been told not to use 4WD at speeds above 55. What about 4WD auto? Is that alright if it was raining while on the highway? If it did kick on at the high speed, would that possibly damage it? 2019 bighorn, first truck ever so I'm still learning haha

Users who are viewing this thread