5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Auto vs. 2WD normal driving - Poll

Do you regularly use 4WD Auto or 2WD?

• Total voters

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can run 4wd auto all the time if you want. Didn't read up on it personally. Not a concern here in Florida. I use 4X4 towing in soft/sandy areas (parking at car events).

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use auto 4wd quite a bit this winter. I turn it off if cruising on pavement, but the winter in ND this year has been a good one. I think the A4wd is great. Makes a big difference getting around town.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Rebel truck, 4wd only when absolutely necessary. 2wd works great in rain or even light to moderately snowy roads

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last two trucks i've owned stayed in 4 auto 98% of the time. I like being able to get on the gas if I need to without worrying about kicking the back end around.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I only use 4WD on wet surfaces. I don’t see a need for it otherwise during general driving. Plus I really dislike the limited play when turning.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only use 4WD on wet surfaces. I don’t see a need for it otherwise during general driving. Plus I really dislike the limited play when turning.
I would not use 4wd all the time either. 4auto works and drives like 2wd 99.9% of the time, and only engages when needed.

NDanecker

Reaction score
I do most city or 55 roads with lights, and for this past winter I kept it in 2wd without an issue. I have the e-locker so the rear is open. In wet conditions the traction control seems to kick in and does a nice job on keeping the truck from becoming a 1 wheel wonder.

I drive conservative and my MPG suck. Some highway runs I'll get 15 to 17 (per dash) but my multiple tank average is below (Fuelly). Can't imagine what it would be with 4wd auto engaged all the time. LOL. Didn't buy the truck for its mileage though. :)

16Taco

Maybe someone can answer this for me... Do you get 4WD AUTO with the OR pkg on Laramie/Limited trims? I thought I saw somewhere that if you get OR PKG, you lose the auto with the ESD.

FishNitro

Reaction score
I have the anti spin in mine and the only time i would ever use 4wd auto would be in the snow and only if there was enough of it. No need for it at all in the rain. I would do the same with the open rear diff.

My last two GM trucks had 4wd auto as well and i did the same except the one time i hit the button by accident on my 2006, went on a 700 mile freeway trip and fried the transfer case.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe someone can answer this for me... Do you get 4WD AUTO with the OR pkg on Laramie/Limited trims? I thought I saw somewhere that if you get OR PKG, you lose the auto with the ESD.
Yes, you do. My Longhorn with the ORG has Auto 4WD.

Jackham

Reaction score
I thinks it behooves all of us to do some deep dive reading on the options you have to drive. When you get "advice" it is frequently outdated. You can run your truck all day long at any speed in 4 wheel high without issue. Not so true say in a 1980s four wheel drive pickup. Where there is a bit of difference is when you are in town at the grocery parking lot where they cleared it right away. Regular 4 wheel really puts a lot of stress on on dry pavement when you turn or worse when you reverse and turn. That is where 4wd auto is a real saver where once you get on the street you are back into slick conditions. Not all systems are the same at all in the auto systems and in a lot of rigs (different makes of SUV) virtually nothing is turning that isn't in two wheel drive at times so mileage is only different because four wheel drive adds weight. Some systems are not that sophisticated though and there is considerable drag. So you have an AI in your home computer so good to dive deep and understand your rig and the country you drive in.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2WD except on rainy / inclement weather days, then auto 4WD
Ditto, 2wd all the time, except really bad wx. 4wd hi only on known slippery or loose stuff. 4wd lo when truly deep off road or rescuing others.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ALways 2wd. runing 4wd before you start slipping will 100% result in you getting stuck. ( I'm in Florida ) Once all 4 wheels spin, you are done.

My only exception is my 4 mile long "driveway" that is a crushed shell road. When its very wet I put 4wd auto on as it greatly helps and theres much much less squirrelyness from the rear end, especialy on turns or quick swerves to dode a huge pothole.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok umb question, because I know I could probably read the manual but this is my first 4x4. What steps do I need to follow to to put it in auto 4wd? I’m assuming I need to be in park and just push the auto button?
you can push the button anytime while driving. It is still 2wd unless it detects slip and engages the lockers on the transfer case.

AFAIK only 4 low you have to be in park to engage.

runamuck

Reaction score
mine has ORP and 4wheel auto. I use it when on the highway during heavy rain or icy/snow covered roads. works really well. have only used 4hi when off main road in snow up to running boards.

Bubba33

Reaction score
I use 2wd, unless rain or snow. 4 auto you can leave it in there if you want. There is no real extra wear or milage drop. Lot people say that ,that don't understand it. This is my 4th truck with auto 4wd.one was a Silverado.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
People who think auto 4wd will save them on icy or whatever conditions are fooling themselves. By the time it reacts you’ve already broke traction. Say going up a hill on the highway that’s slick and your *** end comes around. See it all the time here.
Whereas if you think ahead and have it in actuall 4wd first your not getting screwed. I’m not lazy and think ahead and keep myself out of trouble.

That's not really true. In my experience 4auto is very quick, and you don't really notice the fact that you lost traction. It's not like you're spinning for a second first before the system notices and says "oh dear, the newby is at it again, time to engage". If you're rock crawling or driving through mud it's better to use 4hi/low but the auto in our 5th gens is pretty amazing.

And I believe it locks in by default from a stop as well. So if you're trying to pull your boat/trailer on slipper grass or gravel etc and you're stopped, getting on the gas it engages immediately. I've noticed it time and time again where I'm slipping trying to back my trailer up a grassy hill and 2wd is just slipping. 4 auto there is no slip.

The benefit of 4 auto is obvious; it doesn't bind your axles when you don't need it, but instantly engages when you do. If you live in wintry conditions with frequent whiteouts on otherwise mainly dry roads, it's benefit is huge.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see the main advantage to 4WD Auto being slick conditions from a stop. I do not know how robust the limited slip is in these trucks but I can tell you with great certainty that at some point it will wear out and you'll be running a fully open differential anyway. I chose the ORG/elocker for my truck with my thought being that during extremely wet weather I'll just use 4WD Auto.

I have a really hard time spending extra on a LSD when it's just going to burn out eventually anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread