5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Auto vs. 2WD normal driving - Poll

Do you regularly use 4WD Auto or 2WD?

• Total voters

Jkurtz

Reaction score
Who here keeps their truck in 4WD Auto vs. 2WD. The manual states that it can be used for regular driving but that it may result in worse fuel economy.

Looking for reasons to use or not use on a regular basis and wondering how much difference in fuel economy people are seeing.

Thanks!

(Edited to replace FWD with 4WD for clarity)

Last edited:

RT70808

Reaction score
Being in the car business makes me read that as front wheel drive Auto vs 2WD.. took me like 3-4 reads before I realized what you were getting at lol.

On my 2017 Ram, it didn't change the fuel economy very much, it was a little worse around town and identical on the highway, just depends on how often the 4WD is actually engaging based on your driving habits.
I’ll take a MPG hit for knowing if something unexpected happens it will kick in. I’ve been driving with both and haven’t really noticed a mpg difference.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep my truck in 2WD almost exclusively. If it is snowing I put it in 4 Auto unless its really bad then 4 lock. When off roading in bad conditions I use 4 lock.

Ickabod

Reaction score
For my daily commute, I keep it in 2WD. The only time I will use 4WD auto is if it is raining or snowing or if I am towing something.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this truck assuming I'd be in 4auto most of the time. But with the anti-slip, 2wd really has zero issues moving the truck in wet conditions. Winter time in central Kentucky see's little snow but a lot of ice so I'll probably be in 4auto then....this helps your poll exactly zero percent :) ok, im clicking 2wd.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who here keeps their truck in 4WD Auto vs. 2WD. The manual states that it can be used for regular driving but that it may result in worse fuel economy.

Looking for reasons to use or not use on a regular basis and wondering how much difference in fuel economy people are seeing.

Thanks!

(Edited to replace FWD with 4WD for clarity)
2WD except on rainy / inclement weather days, then auto 4WD

nerdrock

Reaction score
Back when I had my Silverado my salesman had chided me for keeping it in 4wd Auto because "things spin to keep the front wheels ready to be driven at a moment's notice. best to only use that when necessary because fuel economy wear and tear etc", so he scared me off it from that point forward. I've kept the Ram in 2WD except for a rainy day after spinning the tires trying to merge. I don't even know if the Ram uses similar tech or whatever, but I just play it safe. Then again, I probably should just say to heck with it and go 4WDA

RT70808

Reaction score
Back when I had my Silverado my salesman had chided me for keeping it in 4wd Auto because "things spin to keep the front wheels ready to be driven at a moment's notice. best to only use that when necessary because fuel economy wear and tear etc", so he scared me off it from that point forward. I've kept the Ram in 2WD except for a rainy day after spinning the tires trying to merge. I don't even know if the Ram uses similar tech or whatever, but I just play it safe. Then again, I probably should just say to heck with it and go 4WDA
Maybe the difference is anti-spin vs elocker. I’ve got the elocker, so 4wd auto it is.

Michael_D

Reaction score
I use Auto most of the time during winter months when there is snow/ice on the roads. 2 hi all other seasons. MPG does drop when in Auto. Roughly 20%.

Your poll does not differentiate between the seasons.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im on 2wd. Its 100-115 here and no rain or anything. I use mine depending on weather

D

Deleted member 85

4WD Auto in the rain is a non-negotiable IMO. It works seamlessly and is most noticeable while cornering, sending power to the inside wheel to help guide a truck through a turn in wet conditions. In snow I'm 4HI all day.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use 2wd for normal driving. If their is snow or ice on the roads I will put it in 4 auto and if it gets bad I will use 4 lock. When I had my Goodyears I would use it in the rain more but I don't see a need my Michelin's.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
2wd mostly, 4wd when dropping my boat on those slick boat ramps, and when we run up to the mountains in the winter

habfan

Reaction score
I’d be interested in seeing how many have 2wd with anti spin as well vs 4wd auto, 2wd without antispin

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
wondering how much difference in fuel economy people are seeing
I was wondering the same thing, but most replies in the thread aren’t mentioning actual mpg gains other than one estimating a potential 20% gain in 2WD. Do you all really see a 20% difference 2WD vs 4WD Auto? 3-4 mpg? Seems like a lot.

alow

Reaction score
I usually keep it in 2WD unless its snowing for regular driving. I use 4auto for snow and only touch the locks if I'm stuck. I've never had an Elocker or Hill Descent before so I may consider it for off roading but honestly I'll have to learn to use them.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4wd auto is exactly like the old system in the 74 to 80 powerwagons. People who didn't understand it hated it and rose that knew when the going got rough you still had to engage 4wheel hi and/or low loved it.

The truck will mostly be in 2wd anyways, until the system registers a slip. If it is raining, snowing, or loose footing use the auto. If you start pushing snow, or getting in deep mud or sand...engage 4wd high. I would probably stay in 2wd unless the weather suggested.

But i do not think you will see much difference in mpg...it really isn't doing anything to hurt it that much.

Michael_D

Reaction score
MPG really depends on traction and when and how often the transfer case, front shaft clutch is engaged by the elecro-magnet switch (on/off only). Rear wheel slippage will also effect the TC ball ramp clutch torque amount applied (0-100% mechanical torque transfer between front and rear tires). This assumes the BW 44-44 TC is used in the 5th gen Rams......

In my experience with GM trucks and using Auto 4wd, my average highway MPG drops from roughly 19 to 15 throughout the winter months. My roads are generally ice covered all winter with some dry sections. The Auto 4wd function is very similar between Ford, Ram and GM.

Users who are viewing this thread