5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Auto vs. 2WD normal driving - Poll

Do you regularly use 4WD Auto or 2WD?

• Total voters

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I see the main advantage to 4WD Auto being slick conditions from a stop. I do not know how robust the limited slip is in these trucks but I can tell you with great certainty that at some point it will wear out and you'll be running a fully open differential anyway. I chose the ORG/elocker for my truck with my thought being that during extremely wet weather I'll just use 4WD Auto.

I have a really hard time spending extra on a LSD when it's just going to burn out eventually anyway.
I've been a mechanic for nearly 30 years and I have very rarely seen any "burn out" under normal usage. With that said, anything mechanical can fail at any given time due to faulty parts, even open differentials. Electronic Lockers have their own set of problems too whether electrical or mechanical failure.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread as it validates a "discussion" I had with my sales rep. He was adamant that ANY change from 2WD required that the truck be stopped, put into neutral via the dial (not the button), then into 4-Auto, then shifted into drive. I tried to tell him that was only for 4-Low, but he wouldn't budge saying I'd void my warranty if I messed up my 4WD system by shifting out of 2WD while moving. :censored:

Regardless, I've always run my Dakotas in 2WD (no 4 auto) unless there was snow/ice on the ground and never had any issues so I'll probably do the same thing with the RAM this winter.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread as it validates a "discussion" I had with my sales rep. He was adamant that ANY change from 2WD required that the truck be stopped, put into neutral via the dial (not the button), then into 4-Auto, then shifted into drive. I tried to tell him that was only for 4-Low, but he wouldn't budge saying I'd void my warranty if I messed up my 4WD system by shifting out of 2WD while moving. :censored:

Regardless, I've always run my Dakotas in 2WD (no 4 auto) unless there was snow/ice on the ground and never had any issues so I'll probably do the same thing with the RAM this winter.
Tell him that he needs to be sure to stop his truck before jumping out to lock the hubs! It sure would be nice if they'd introduce a push-button feature to make it possible to do this "on the fly" ;)

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell him that he needs to be sure to stop his truck before jumping out to lock the hubs! It sure would be nice if they'd introduce a push-button feature to make it possible to do this "on the fly" ;)
I kinda miss my old '89 Nissan and those manually locking hubs. That little truck crawled everywhere.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Haha, that takes me back... that was always my job as the passenger in my friend's truck ('77 F150) -- standing in the mud locking in the hubs while he stayed inside banging on the separate T/C lever. It's been over 35 years and I still hate him for that. ;)

Frostmonkey

Reaction score
Haha, that takes me back... that was always my job as the passenger in my friend's truck ('77 F150) -- standing in the mud locking in the hubs while he stayed inside banging on the separate T/C lever. It's been over 35 years and I still hate him for that. ;)
I had an 1955 M37 3/4T Army Truck (back in 1975) which is the military version of a 1955 Dodge W300 1Ton. It had solid hubs on the front axel, so I bought Warn lockout hubs. And yes someone had to get out and lock & unlock them, but I did this before I got into the mud. I also ran 4 tire chains on it when in heavy off-road situations. I ended up doing a lot of work on that over the 10yrs that I had it. As 4wds go it was pretty standard design back then.
Now I just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn and it has buttons on the dash to do that. It also has that 4wd Auto button. Does anyone know how this system work mechanically? I heard some where that there were clutch packs that the computer switches in and out.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I leave it in 4WD Auto all the time. It does no harm at all. I did the same with my 2019 Bighorn for the last 2+ years that I owned it and never had one issue. If the mileage takes a hit, it’s minimal and not even noticeable.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only time I hit 4Auto is if there is any snow/ice on the road that makes it tough to get going from a stop. Otherwise I’m always in 2WD unless off road where 4 HI and sometimes 4 LO is better.

4Auto seems to be pretty seemless on Ram’s compared to the Chevy’s I drove previously. They typically spun the rear wheels quite a bit before the fronts kicked in.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2wd if it’s dry. I’ll hit 4 auto if the road conditions become questionable
I chuckled at this. I live in Phoenix where the road conditions are never questionable. Out on some of the desert roads is a different story but is fun running in 2WD with a bit of wheelspin.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I chuckled at this. I live in Phoenix where the road conditions are never questionable. Out on some of the desert roads is a different story but is fun running in 2WD with a bit of wheelspin.
I’ve used it like once because someone said oil was spilled on the road 😆

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used 4Auto about 4 times yesterday. I had to go through some flooded roads during a thunderstorm. Otherwise, I'm always at 2WD.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not fun to be caught out there in a storm. Road changes from dirt to mud before you can get to anywhere paved. Always have water bottle and snack, you might have to spend the night.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run my F150 with the same BW transfer case in 4Auto probably 60-70% of the time, simply due to the light beer can rear end + high torque + open (eLocker) rear diff makes traction an issue in 2WD.

I had done this for years and endorsed doing so, and only just recently began hearing some occasional groaning noises in 4A at first take off.
No way of knowing whether this is wear-related, and if so whether it was accelerated by the prominent use of 4A. But probably. Will update once i find out.

But I will say, I went in to this practice fully expecting accelerated wear and found it all worth the risk.

On a Ram Hemi with an anti-slip I probably wouldn't run 4A as much, or nearly at all on the road. If i had the E-locker (so open on the road), I am not sure.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had modern 2018 Ford F250 and F350's that still had locking hubs because I didn't pay enough attention when ordering them for work. Had a guy driving in the snow and stopped at a RR crossing in 2WD - after the train passed he could get started again and was driving alone so had to get out and lock hubs and go through all that with a line of cars waiting behind him. Needless to say I always double check that when ordering trucks now!

Users who are viewing this thread