5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 wheel auto vibration

Skud

Reaction score
Dropped it off again this morning. They’re not able to replicate it on the rack and they have no other information in “the system” to go on. They told me that unless it gets worse they can’t do anything. It’s already bad enough to shake the change in my console. They offered to open a STAR case and I agreed. I already have a case with FCA opened up for the dozen or so other issues I’ve experienced. Updated the case manager. I think I’m done with this truck. I loved my 2015 Limited Ecodisel but this 2019 Limited has had more quality issues in 9,000 miles than my last three vehicles combined.

Skud

Reaction score
So I’ve managed to narrow it down to 4x4 auto, 30-40mph, and having a load on the truck.

I noticed that the harder I accelerate or if I’m going up hill the worse it is. If I apply a bit of brake as I accelerate through 30-40 mph I can shake the whole truck pretty bad.

Now to make the dealer feel it.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
So I’ve managed to narrow it down to 4x4 auto, 30-40mph, and having a load on the truck.

I noticed that the harder I accelerate or if I’m going up hill the worse it is. If I apply a bit of brake as I accelerate through 30-40 mph I can shake the whole truck pretty bad.

Now to make the dealer feel it.

Mine does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torcar7

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck solving this issue?

I picked up my 2020 ram sport in December 2019 and from day 1 this has been an issue. Had it into the dealer 3 times before they told me that I have to contact FCA as the dealer can't figure it out

Fca has come back and said its a normal part of operation.... how ?? How is that normal? There is clearly something wrong here.

Just wondering if anyone has had the problem solved..

Cheers

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck solving this issue?

I picked up my 2020 ram sport in December 2019 and from day 1 this has been an issue. Had it into the dealer 3 times before they told me that I have to contact FCA as the dealer can't figure it out

Fca has come back and said its a normal part of operation.... how ?? How is that normal? There is clearly something wrong here.

Just wondering if anyone has had the problem solved..

Cheers

I sincerely apologize for the trouble, @Torcar7. If you would be willing to follow up with us via private message to provide additional details of your situation, I would be happy to look into this further to determine how to best assist at this point.

Mark
RamCares

Jrm7

Reaction score
Hello all, I have 2020 Ram Laramie. It also have same issue with 4WD Auto. I have appointment with dealer next Friday. has anybody have resolution on this yet?

Jrm7

Reaction score
The tech found nothing. Go figures. The service manager had me take him for ride. Along with my ram and the sales manager’s Ram. Both had the vibration but his was very noticeable. He heard it and said it’s vibration dampening system that need the update. His dealer got those before. So he will open case with HQ for a software update.

Jrm7

Reaction score
Heard back. HQ said its normal characteristics of HEMI..... *eye roll* Even service manager strongly disagreed with them.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I have the 3.6L and mine does the same thing. "shudders" upon light/moderate acceleration with engine under load (either towing, or going up grade). I haven't looked under the hood, maybe there's a HEMI under there! :ROFLMAO:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it vibrates in 4-High and 4-Auto, then I'd check the front driveshaft for proper balancing.

If it only vibrates in 4-Auto, then the clutch system in the t-case is likely to blame.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If your tire pressures are out of whack that can cause vibrations as the effective diameter of the wheel changes. Any speed difference front to back will cause vibration/shuddering. Try using 4 auto on a surface like a dirt road and see if the vibrations stop

ryenigma

Reaction score
Ran into this briefly when running 4wd auto on my 2020 when pulling in some tight hills with a trailer. I was assuming it was due to the tight cornering but I have another 1800 mile trip planned in a few weeks with the trailer and will see if I can figure out what is causing this at least in my truck.

RSZ

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Shudder under moderate to hard acceleration between 30-60 KMH. I could also smell what smells like a clutch being overheated, like a burning rubber smell.

As luck we would have it, the shop foreman at my dealer took a look at my truck. He owns a DT sport and says his does the same thing and he isn't too pleased with it. His suggestion was to put in a new transfer case. They have ordered one but they are on national backorder in Canada.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I have been experiencing vibration issues in my truck, and I believe I’ve narrowed it down to the front transfer case or components in the driveline for the front two wheels. If I am in 2WD or 4WD Auto, I experience vibrations at around 2000 RPM. I also experience the shudder in 4WD Auto described here. If I switch to 4HI the vibrations are nearly gone. Could this mean an issue with the front transfer case or balance of the front drive shaft, etc?

RSZ

Reaction score
We had some more snow yesterday and I put the truck in 4WD Auto. On less slippery patches there is no shudder. Hit a slippery patch and give it a little more throttle and sure enough shudder returns. It really seems to me the clutches in the transfer case are slipping. As mentioned above my dealer has ordered a new one and still waiting.

“BorgWarner’s new EMOD transfer case features unmatched clutch control and actuation capabilities,” said Dr. Stefan Demmerle, President and General Manager, BorgWarner PowerDrive Systems. “BorgWarner has supplied on-demand transfer cases to Ram since 2010. We are proud to introduce our latest advancements in the next-generation Ram 1500.”

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 but only used 4 Auto for the first time a month ago. Same thing happened exactly under the same circumstances up a curved hill and worsened once the truck warmed up. Took it into service dept. Tech test drove it couldn’t make it happen. I sent him into the passenger seat and made it happen first try. I have an appt for next Wednesday to take it into the shop To look more in depth into it.

RSZ

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 but only used 4 Auto for the first time a month ago. Same thing happened exactly under the same circumstances up a curved hill and worsened once the truck warmed up. Took it into service dept. Tech test drove it couldn’t make it happen. I sent him into the passenger seat and made it happen first try. I have an appt for next Wednesday to take it into the shop To look more in depth into it.

I still haven't heard anything back from my dealer yet. The shop foreman did mention that there was some sort of recall on the transfer cases and that is why there is no availability.

RSZ

Reaction score
Just got a call from the dealer. Replacement transfer case has arrived and I have an appointment booked for Thursday morning to get a new transfer case put in.

Wish me luck.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the recent things I’ve learned is that this vibration is so far only common with 3.21 rear diffs.

Users who are viewing this thread