5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm up for a good laugh. Explain.
Up for a good laugh eh. I don’t know how to put funny little videos on here, so probably won’t be too funny. I need to learn, because those are the funniest part of this forum. Anyway.
I know people level trucks, that’s fine, but when they make fun of someone (me), “perhaps NOT a truck is what they need” when they wish to level their truck, I felt compelled to respond. Because if you really want to use your trucks full capability safely, you should not level it. He wasn’t using good judgement on who ”needs” a truck.
Starting with a leveled truck, with any load it starts to squat, and with heavy or max loads it will squat excessively and put much more weight on the rear axle, and less on the front axle, which adversary affects all kinds of important things like braking, steering, handling, head light angles etc. Some counter the squat with air bags that control the squatting, but with the expense of ride quality.
Trucks with an air suspension control the squat by adjusting the air to always have a level truck, eliminating the problems listed above. Stock trucks have a rake to be able to handle a heavy load, control the squat, while balancing ride quality.
Starting with a leveled truck with zero load is not good, if you really “need” a truck.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Up for a good laugh eh. I don’t know how to put funny little videos on here, so probably won’t be too funny. I need to learn, because those are the funniest part of this forum. Anyway.
I know people level trucks, that’s fine, but when they make fun of someone (me), “perhaps NOT a truck is what they need” when they wish to level their truck, I felt compelled to respond. Because if you really want to use your trucks full capability safely, you should not level it. He wasn’t using good judgement on who ”needs” a truck.
Starting with a leveled truck, with any load it starts to squat, and with heavy or max loads it will squat excessively and put much more weight on the rear axle, and less on the front axle, which adversary affects all kinds of important things like braking, steering, handling, head light angles etc. Some counter the squat with air bags that control the squatting, but with the expense of ride quality.
Trucks with an air suspension control the squat by adjusting the air to always have a level truck, eliminating the problems listed above. Stock trucks have a rake to be able to handle a heavy load, control the squat, while balancing ride quality.
Starting with a leveled truck with zero load is not good, if you really “need” a truck.

Obviously you read his signature but you still missed the part that said he had air bags. 🙄

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Obviously you read his signature but you still missed the part that said he had air bags. 🙄
Didn’t miss that. I guess if he wants to ride on a rear suspension that’s feels hard as a rock, every time he “needs” his truck, well happy trails then.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Didn’t miss that. I guess if he wants to ride on a rear suspension that’s feels hard as a rock, every time he “needs” his truck, we’ll happy trails then.
You said his truck would be less capable. It's not and it won't be with a leveling kit.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
castrated truck and don’t realize it.

spider-man.gif

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn’t miss that. I guess if he wants to ride on a rear suspension that’s feels hard as a rock, every time he “needs” his truck, well happy trails then.

I leveled my 4th Gen 1500 with Bilstein 5100(?) shocks. I put air bags in the rear suspension coils for when I towed my 28' bumper pull camper that I used to have.

With enough air in the bags to level the truck when the trailer was hooked up, the truck still rode great! Still better than an unloaded F150 or GM 1500.

Having (and using) the air bags with coil spring rear suspension allowed me to still have full suspension travel (i.e. full use of those rear springs), even with a heavy load. I bet my truck rode better, when pulling my camper, with leveled suspension and those air bags than it would have with raked suspension and no air bags.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'm up for a good laugh. Explain.
Well you know, in order to have a truck and use it, you must ride around at all times with maximum payload, perhaps a little over just because. You know, if you would just haul a dozen sheets of plywood or a pallet of light weight cinderblocks or a few dozen bags of mulch, well, you don't need a truck. That can go in your Prius just fine. (Hence they sell Rams with 3.21 gears) 🤫

So jack that back end up like your rolling downhill all day and load her up!

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well you know, in order to have a truck and use it, you must ride around at all times with maximum payload, perhaps a little over just because. You know, if you would just haul a dozen sheets of plywood or a pallet of light weight cinderblocks or a few dozen bags of mulch, well, you don't need a truck. That can go in your Prius just fine. (Hence they sell Rams with 3.21 gears) 🤫

So jack that back end up like your rolling downhill all day and load her up!
Oh yea,
You saw I said castrated, and you decided to speak up. I almost forgot about your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread